What's new

AC88U Xbox live disconnecting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Also check to see if OPEN Security shows any differences in behavior. I presume it may show same, however worth testing. Then try WPA and mixed TPIK and AES, not WPA2.

Might revert to 380 and test as well...

I have no idea if this has anything to do with it, but I’m running vlan tagging for a fiber optic connection so I can bypass the modem. Along with that I’m using pppoe as well. Would either of those have any effect on the 5ghz band?

IFf the console stays connected on a wired connection, then no.

I have no idea if this has anything to do with it, but I’m running vlan tagging for a fiber optic connection so I can bypass the modem. Along with that I’m using pppoe as well. Would either of those have any effect on the 5ghz band?

I was able to leave everything at default and just change my security to WPA and TKIP+AES and that seems to have fixed the problem! Any ideas if using regular WPA instead of WPA2 will give me less throughput?

Not sure on throughput, but security is a major issue.
If you live in a sleepy town/village don’t worry, if you live in a city it’s not a solution IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure on throughput, but security is a major issue.
If you live in a sleepy town/village don’t worry, if you live in a city it’s not a solution IMO.

Any other suggestions then?

I don’t know how true this is, but it’s one of the only references I can find to your issue
https://forums.xbox.com/en-GB/thread/9BE0EDC1-E057-4C34-88B2-CC38475A6986

2d80422185cebd066a13426a9eef489d.jpg

If it is true then it seems you are snookered! But I can’t believe Microsoft would leave this gaping hole for so long.

I have an Apple TC and I have it wired to my Asus and broadcasting it’s own Wi-fi in Bridge mode (I use it to connect legacy 2.4G clients so they don’t slow my main 2.4G band on the Asus down).
If you say 5Ghz works for you on your extreme, I would do similar and connect only the Xbox to it.

Don’t be fooled by all the ‘faster’ Wi-fi speed rubbish that routers are marketed with. My AC5300 can supposedly support 5300Mbps however that’s shared over many clients and over 3 bands. A single client won’t go over ~1300Mbps. On top of that your internet is going to be WAY slower than any 5Ghz Wi-fi, so it doesn’t really matter!

I don’t know how true this is, but it’s one of the only references I can find to your issue
https://forums.xbox.com/en-GB/thread/9BE0EDC1-E057-4C34-88B2-CC38475A6986

2d80422185cebd066a13426a9eef489d.jpg

If it is true then it seems you are snookered! But I can’t believe Microsoft would leave this gaping hole for so long.

I have an Apple TC and I have it wired to my Asus and broadcasting it’s own Wi-fi in Bridge mode (I use it to connect legacy 2.4G clients so they don’t slow my main 2.4G band on the Asus down).
If you say 5Ghz works for you on your extreme, I would do similar and connect only the Xbox to it.

Don’t be fooled by all the ‘faster’ Wi-fi speed rubbish that routers are marketed with. My AC5300 can supposedly support 5300Mbps however that’s shared over many clients and over 3 bands. A single client won’t go over ~1300Mbps. On top of that your internet is going to be WAY slower than any 5Ghz Wi-fi, so it doesn’t really matter!

That’s weird, because in that forum they are having problems with TKIP on 5ghz, and I’m having problems with AES on 5ghz. It doesn’t make sense! The second I changed it from WPA2 with AES to WPA with TKIP/AES it started working flawlessly. I really don’t want to run a separate Apple router just for my Xbox though. I bought this router to replace the Apple router, so adding it to the mix isn’t ideal. Is there something else I can try?

Shout at Microsoft?
Reset Xbox settings?

That’s weird, because in that forum they are having problems with TKIP on 5ghz, and I’m having problems with AES on 5ghz. It doesn’t make sense! The second I changed it from WPA2 with AES to WPA with TKIP/AES it started working flawlessly. I really don’t want to run a separate Apple router just for my Xbox though. I bought this router to replace the Apple router, so adding it to the mix isn’t ideal. Is there something else I can try?
Short of using a meda bridge to connect to the xbox, which is what I did, I'll have to check my xbox to see if I get the same issue this is interesting, though they might have fixed it in a preview build.

Yes, something you should contact MS about however not sure if you'll get anything or anywhere. Seen a similar issue back on the 360 Slim with wireless, the console would only connect at 11Mb on 2.4Ghz on newer generation routers. Would do 130Mb on older generation routers. Found out that the wireless drivers on the consoles were to blame. MS never did anything about them. So I told people that had this issue, either use LAN wired connections, or use a wireless media bridge between the host router and game console.

I recommend finding a wireless media bridge that supports 5Ghz and WPA2 and Gb LAN ports. Connect your xbox to the media bridge. Any chance of getting direct LAN cable connection?

You could try PowerLine adapters between the host router and the game console as well.