What's new

Access camera through VPN only

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Plenkske

New Around Here
Recently I have bought a simple security camera. It is on my LAN through a wifi connection on the 2.4 GHz.
Camera works fine, connection aswell.

Now I want to do the following:
1. Block the internet access of the camera
2. Access the camera through a VPN connection, for when I'm not at home.

1. Block internet access
I have an AC66U with Merlin software (updated recently). So I went to the web interface.
Enabled Parental Controls and added the camera. This will block the internet access.
I tried it and it seems to work fine.
At this point I can only access the camera when I'm in the same LAN.

2. Access the camera through VPN
I enabeld an OpenVPN Server (tun) on the router and made the configurations.
Installed OpenVPN connect on my Android phone and tried the connection. Works fine. Also tried to access my Kodi device and that works. So the VPN connection is fine.
But, I cant access the camera through this connection.

After that I tried:
- Turned off the parental controls. At that point I could access the camera through VPN, but also from the internet. And thats what I dont want.
- Tried some settings at the openvpn server, but that did not work.
- I googled a bit about blocking internet access, and tried some firewall rules but I did not get it to work. Probably doing something wrong there.

My guess
I think my VPN connection is fine, but the Parental Controls are blocking more then I want to.
So I guess I have to block internet access in another way.
What is the best and easiest way to do this , in this case ???

Thanks already !

I'm not sure if this is the correct subforum to post this, so please move if its not.

Last edited:
Recently I have bought a simple security camera. It is on my LAN through a wifi connection on the 2.4 GHz.
Camera works fine, connection aswell.

Now I want to do the following:
1. Block the internet access of the camera
2. Access the camera through a VPN connection, for when I'm not at home.

1. Block internet access
I have an AC66U with Merlin software (updated recently). So I went to the web interface.
Enabled Parental Controls and added the camera. This will block the internet access.
I tried it and it seems to work fine.
At this point I can only access the camera when I'm in the same LAN.

2. Access the camera through VPN
I enabeld an OpenVPN Server (tun) on the router and made the configurations.
Installed OpenVPN connect on my Android phone and tried the connection. Works fine. Also tried to access my Kodi device and that works. So the VPN connection is fine.
But, I cant access the camera through this connection.

After that I tried:
- Turned off the parental controls. At that point I could access the camera through VPN, but also from the internet. And thats what I dont want.
- Tried some settings at the openvpn server, but that did not work.
- I googled a bit about blocking internet access, and tried some firewall rules but I did not get it to work. Probably doing something wrong there.

My guess
I think my VPN connection is fine, but the Parental Controls are blocking more then I want to.
So I guess I have to block internet access in another way.
What is the best and easiest way to do this , in this case ???

Thanks already !

I'm not sure if this is the correct subforum to post this, so please move if its not.

Why do you want to run the camera of a VPN?
Its still going over the internet. You think that is more secure?
For the safest way, run a remote desktop session and long into your camera via your LAN and that computer.
and block the internet access as you did from the parental control
I don't see what the need for a VPN is at this point.
A VPN is to change your local IP to another Servers IP
You cannot access any device remotely when you are connected to a VPN server unless you run a VPN server at your place and have the VPN show your LAN and you can access it from a VPN client. Then you can see your camera.
But what you are trying to do is confusing and I don't understand why you want to go that route.

Can you explain what your purpose is with the camera and what it is you are trying to achieve.
this way I can help you better.

I simply dont want the camera to be accessible from the internet.

You cannot access any device remotely when you are connected to a VPN server unless you run a VPN server at your place and have the VPN show your LAN and you can access it from a VPN client. Then you can see your camera.
As stated in my point 2. My router is my VPN server.
But I think the parental control also blocks that access.

For the safest way, run a remote desktop session and long into your camera via your LAN and that computer.
and block the internet access as you did from the parental control
That wont be possible. I dont have a pc running 24/7 for remote desktop.

I simply dont want the camera to be accessible from the internet.

As stated in my point 2. My router is my VPN server.
But I think the parental control also blocks that access.

That wont be possible. I dont have a pc running 24/7 for remote desktop.
good luck :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!