What's new

allowing direct WAN access on Asus RT-AX86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RedDragon2518

New Around Here
Hi all,

firstly please forgive any ignorance, new to the home VPN world
I have small network at home, and am trying to add a VP to my RT-AX86U to provide additional security to the network.
I've managed to follow all the relevant instructions to set this up, using the Asus merlin software and NordVPN
my issue is I have a few devices that I need to break out over the WAN and skip the VPN altogether and I am not sure how I do this, devices are my corporate laptop and games consoles

is there a simple and easy way to do this?

Thanks
Kevin

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums @RedDragon2518.

There are no commercial VPNs that provide additional security. You need to control both ends of the VPN to have that (and, without connecting to any website outside of those networks you exclusively control).

RMerlin firmware provides that via the DNS Director feature. I'm not sure about stock Asus firmware (others will offer their help too).

If you are using Merlin's firmware, then VPN Director sounds like what you want to use.

Welcome to the forums @RedDragon2518.

There are no commercial VPNs that provide additional security. You need to control both ends of the VPN to have that (and, without connecting to any website outside of those networks you exclusively control).

RMerlin firmware provides that via the DNS Director feature. I'm not sure about stock Asus firmware (others will offer their help too).

Thank you for the welcome,

so it's not DNS or Ddos security, sorry possibly miss advising on my part, I have the DNS and DOS activated within the portal
looking to do this to secure web traffic, especially as ISP's like to record pretty much everything..

If you are using Merlin's firmware, then VPN Director sounds like what you want to use.
I did try to play around with the Director, for my xbox but no change as it was still showing as a double NAT
is it as simple as changing Redirect Internet traffic through tunnel to VPN director (policy rules) then creating the rules for the device that will connect directly to the WAN?

1692345790021.png

if

I did try to play around with the Director, for my xbox but no change as it was still showing as a double NAT
is it as simple as changing Redirect Internet traffic through tunnel to VPN director (policy rules) then creating the rules for the device that will connect directly to the WAN?

View attachment 52428
if
Hopefully someone else can help yo here. I have never used Director.

Maybe this will help

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!