What's new

Access Point mode AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tjc2005

New Around Here
Hi all, I am going mad, I have set up my AC68U to AP mode.. with my AC3200 as the main router (connected my crappy virgin hub3)

But when I access the ac68u it only lets me pick one band, can it not broadcast 2.4ghz and 5ghz simultaneously?, How does this work? I have a cat5e cable that runs through my house and connects from my new AC3200 to the "old" AC68U, and the devices that are plugged in to that, all work fine...

But the wireless isn't working, I say down next to it on my phone and it had little to no signal, obviously it was not broadcasting.

They both have original firmware, up to date. I'm thinking of flashing Merlins fw to the ac68u. Also, they are both broadcasting the same ssid, I can't see any options at all to change channel or anything on my ac68u, it just wants to piggyback from the other signal by the looks of it, and it isn't even doing that. I thought the point of it was so that I can plug a LAN cable from the new router to old and then it just broadcasts it's own wifi or copies the other? I don't want to just repeat the signal.

I don't know how to put the ac68u out of the dhcp range of the new router. (If that's even relevant?) It's all boggling my mind tbh. Oh and the ac68u main page says

Parent AP status :
Disconnected
Band: 2.4GHz
Link rate: 288.5 Mbps

Operation mode:
Media Bridge

Thanks.

as it states you dont have it in AP mode you have it in media bridge mode

what are you trying to achieve and do you have ethernet run and connected between the 3200ac and the 68u ?
You're totally right! I don't know what happened, I think I was simply up too late and being stupid, but it is now in AP mode. Thanks.

now then, what should I have the AP set to? Same ssid as router? Because I had my ac3200 on smart connect, but some devices just won't connect, so it looks like I'll have to have two 5g bands going? Well, three including the AP, but I don't know what to name them etc.

its your choice with smart connect disabled , i use different ssid names so i know which transmission im connected to , just make sure you use different channels for both 2.4g and 5 gig channels

its your choice with smart connect disabled , i use different ssid names so i know which transmission im connected to , just make sure you use different channels for both 2.4g and 5 gig channels

Ok thanks I'll check that out soon and make sure all are on different channels.

Man I wish these routers weren't so ugly (ac3200), what a shame isps can never get their routers right.

So do you have the ssid different on the router aswel as your AP?

So do you have the ssid different on the router aswel as your AP?

yep i just add _5G to the end of all my 5 gig channels

so my main router

2.4 gig would be

mywifistudy ch1

and 5 gig

mywifistudy_5G ch 149

the lower 5 gig ch you can call what you want

access point would be

2.4g would be

mywifibedrooms ch11

and 5 gig

mywifibedrooms_5G ch 161

all you do then is connect to each transmission and add the password the first time and from then on the clients will move as they please between the clients as needed

yep i just add _5G to the end of all my 5 gig channels

so my main router

2.4 gig would be

mywifistudy ch1

and 5 gig

mywifistudy_5G ch 149

the lower 5 gig ch you can call what you want

access point would be

2.4g would be

mywifibedrooms ch11

and 5 gig

mywifibedrooms_5G ch 161

all you do then is connect to each transmission and add the password the first time and from then on the clients will move as they please between the clients as needed
I see, thanks again, that makes sense, I may try it like that too! at least then I know for sure which router/ap devices are connected to without having to look at a list.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!