What's new

Actiontec 6200 Install Questions (Splitter, Termination)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

joe306sc

New Around Here
I decided to try to improve my home network by adding MOCA adaptors to reduce the number of devices connected to WiFi. My setup is pretty typical and includes a Netgear mesh extender which previously was connected via 5ghz; now set up as an access point on the other side of my home connected through MOCA. So far everything appears to be working but I have a few questions that hopefully someone can answer:
1. I used a 4-way (5mhz - 2.4ghz) splitter but did not need the input leg; should I terminate the input?
2. Is there really any difference between the input leg and output legs in modern splitters? Could I simply add another room to the network via the input leg of the splitter?
3. Should the coax out of the Actiontec adapter be terminated if unused?

first, all these are already answered in the forum.
1) use a 3 way splitter instead. and yes.
2) is it marked bidirectional ? what happens if you swap ports around ? Some ports may have higher loss than others, usually is marked. Was that for a satellite receiver installation ?
3) AT uses a band pass filter internally, so maybe not. However, best practice for all coax ports/cable ends is to terminate unless indicated otherwise. They can cause reflections and in the worst case serve as an antenna.

first, all these are already answered in the forum.
1) use a 3 way splitter instead. and yes.
2) is it marked bidirectional ? what happens if you swap ports around ? Some ports may have higher loss than others, usually is marked. Was that for a satellite receiver installation ?
3) AT uses a band pass filter internally, so maybe not. However, best practice for all coax ports/cable ends is to terminate unless indicated otherwise. They can cause reflections and in the worst case serve as an antenna.
Degub,
I have four rooms using AT MOCA adapters so a three leg wouldn't work unless the input functions the same as an output. I may add one additional room to the network which is why I asked if anyone knew of the top if the input of the splitter would work. I picked up a bag of terminators, so I'll do a quick test before I cap it off to see if the input works and report back.

Following up regarding my post above. Using the input of the splitter on the MOCA network didn't yield a good result. With an adapter connected directly to the input I was only able to manage ~110 Mbps. All other nodes on the network consistently provide ~980Mbps. Also note that terminating the input of the splitter and the coax out on the adapters didn't make a difference in the performance of the network, but it was the right thing to do regardless. I thought folks might want to have a data point on this anyhow.

search for splitter in the MOCA threads here and the recommended brand and type should turn up.

Following up regarding my post above. Using the input of the splitter on the MOCA network didn't yield a good result. With an adapter connected directly to the input I was only able to manage ~110 Mbps. All other nodes on the network consistently provide ~980Mbps. Also note that terminating the input of the splitter and the coax out on the adapters didn't make a difference in the performance of the network, but it was the right thing to do regardless. I thought folks might want to have a data point on this anyhow.
Did you try installing a “PoE” MoCA filter on the splitter input, in addition to the terminator?