What's new

Adding an AIMesh Node - why is this so hard?!?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You missed something? AiMesh wireless node discovery in Asuswrt-Merlin wasn't always working properly for the entire 386-series firmware with AiMesh 2.0 and was fixed at some point in 388 firmware with the help of Asus. The reason for so many similar AiMesh + Asuswrt-Merlin threads. When the fix eventually happened - here:

The issue that was fixed in 388 was that a closed source component wasn't getting updated by my GPL merges. At the time the same specific issue didn't exist with the 386 releases (I can't remember if it's because Asus never updated that component for these older models, or if I was properly merging it already). So, any issues specific to 386 would be different from the one I fixed in 388.

You missed something? AiMesh wireless node discovery in Asuswrt-Merlin wasn't always working properly for the entire 386-series firmware with AiMesh 2.0 and was fixed at some point in 388 firmware with the help of Asus. The reason for so many similar AiMesh + Asuswrt-Merlin threads. When the fix eventually happened - here:

Besides the snark. Not sure what the point of your post was. The previous reply was addressing the fact that the person was suggesting; "include a Warning on the Aimesh page that Aimesh it not officially supported,". As indicated, it is supported since the 384.13 (31-July-2019) firmware. Whether the AiMesh feature is working properly or not is entirely a different story. 386.1 (30-Jan-2021) introduced support for AiMesh 2.0 and a later firmware 386.8 (13-Aug-2022) fixed some sort of issue with AiMesh.

Not sure what the point of your post was.

The point is - don't just throw links if you don't know the details. The Wiki page is from 2019 and doesn't mention AiMesh 2.0 compatibility. Does it?

At the time the same specific issue didn't exist with the 386 releases

At the time I tested Asuswrt-Merlin AiMesh compatibility with available to me models RT-AX88U, RT-AX86U, RT-AX58U, RT-AC86U and RT-AC68U they were running 386 firmware. The issue was there for the entire 386-series firmware and continued after to first releases of 388 firmware. A week ago I tested RT-AX86U running Asuswrt-Merlin 388.6_2 and attempted pairing RT-AC1900P running stock 386_51668. It failed again. Stock Asuswrt 388_24231 on RT-AX86U - no problem first attempt.

At the time I tested Asuswrt-Merlin AiMesh compatibility with available to me models RT-AX88U, RT-AX86U, RT-AX58U, RT-AC86U and RT-AC68U they were running 386 firmware. The issue was there for the entire 386-series firmware and continued after to first releases of 388 firmware. A week ago I tested RT-AX86U running Asuswrt-Merlin 388.6_2 and attempted pairing RT-AC1900P running stock 386_51668. It failed again. Stock Asuswrt 388_24231 on RT-AX86U - no problem first attempt.
Just because the result is the same does not mean the cause also is the same.

Just because the result is the same does not mean the cause also is the same.

Agree. There is an issue though and there is a solution. The compatibility is not 100%, needs a workaround.

What @heywire needs to do is described above and he perhaps have done it previous time when pairing the nodes.

Since AC-class models are all EoL now it will be less relevant in the future. Most routers will be running 388 firmware anyway.

The point is - don't just throw links if you don't know the details. The Wiki page is from 2019 and doesn't mention AiMesh 2.0 compatibility. Does it?
Ah more snark. Point previously made, which you seem to want to quibble over for some reason, is that "AiMesh" has been supported 384.13. That old wiki link also indicates it up front: "Asuswrt-Merlin 384.13 adds full support for AiMesh (both as a primary router and as a node)." Moving the goal posts to say an old Wiki link doesn't mention "AiMesh 2.0 compatibility" doesn't change that fact that "AiMesh" has been supported since 384.13. RMerlin states "AiMesh is supported". So end of story.

Agree. There is an issue though and there is a solution. The compatibility is not 100%, needs a workaround.
There's a possibility it could be actual compatibility - could be something that's different in 386 vs 388 proprietary code, where 388 better deals with Asuswrt-Merlin nodes than 386. Hard to tell since most of the process is within a blackbox, and everyone's personal experience seems to differ - even when using stock against stock.

Ah more snark.

Snark? Just don't Huh? at someone who needs help and you don't know how to help. Links to "AiMesh is supported" don't help. End of story.

Hard to tell since most of the process is within a blackbox

Indeed. As I said there is a workaround and people having this issue also have Plan B to try. Not very convenient, but it works most of the time.