What's new

Admin password changed after installing Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Divader

New Around Here
I just flashed the latest Merlin firmware on my Asus RT-AC5300 from the default and now I'm unable to log in. I didn't see any documentation saying the password would change and it seems strange since it's my understanding that no other settings are supposed to change either. I tried the default of 'admin:admin' too with no luck. Any idea what is happening?

Thanks

I just flashed the latest Merlin firmware on my Asus RT-AC5300 from the default and now I'm unable to log in. I didn't see any documentation saying the password would change and it seems strange since it's my understanding that no other settings are supposed to change either. I tried the default of 'admin:admin' too with no luck. Any idea what is happening?

Thanks
Have you read change log?
You have to factory reset and configur again.

Code:
384.17 (26-Apr-2020)
  Updating some models (like the RT-AC88U) from stock firmware
  3.0.0.4.384_81790 and newer will require a factory default reset
  after flashing Asuswrt-Merlin, due to a change in how Asus
  stores the admin password starting with 384_81790.

The RT-AC5300 is now also part of these models that got migrated to an encrypted password in latest stock firmware. That encryption code for the RT-AC88U/AC3100/AC5300 is only integrated in my 384.18 beta release so far.

@itpp20 use the 384.18 Beta 1 as suggested by RMerlin (only 'workaround' right now).

Is this a must ? no way around other then reconfigure ? workarounds ?

Only workaround is to generate a keypair, enable SSH with key-based authentication. After flashing, log over SSH using the keypair authentication, and change http_passwd to your unencrypted password. Apply, reboot.

Not simple, hence I just went with "do a factory default reset" to avoid having to deal with providing support for this procedure.

Or, wait for 384.18 which will implement password encryption on the same models as stock firmware.

Asus RT-AC5300
I have experienced the same issue but confused after performing a hard reset.
My definition of a hard reset is "powering off the router|holding the WPS button in| turning on the router and waiting for flashing power light| releasing the WPS and allowing router to reboot fully.

What I see is all settings removed, having to start all over with router setup (I can do a new password to get in) but the Merlin 384.17 version still on the router?

After this worked for 25+ hours and me setting up reserved DHCP's for about 11 devices on different radios, all of a sudden after a reboot (I had been rebooting after most single or double changes) nothing worked! No connections to the internet for both wired and wireless on this new router? I was able to connect to the router itself but found nothing that would have caused this?
Is the latest Mervin firmware the cause of this?

So when you state ""do a factory default reset", I am thinking the above is not the case. ASUS is closed for Sunday (even though their support says otherwise)

Do I go to the ASUS USA site and download the latest Firmware (Version 3.0.0.4.384.81930 2020/06/18) to restore to factory default?

Thank you
Please help
Steve

Last edited:
What I see is all settings removed, having to start all over with router setup (I can do a new password to get in) but the Merlin 384.17 version still on the router?
That is correct. A reset doesn't alter which firmware version is installed (the router doesn't hold copies of previous versions of firmware).

To revert back to stock firmware, can one go to the latest available or is there a specific firmware version one should start with?

To revert back to stock firmware, can one go to the latest available or is there a specific firmware version one should start with?
Customer support (for any software product) will always ask you to install their most recent release. After you install it let the router boot up normally and then do another factory reset just to be sure there are no lingering settings from the Merlin firmware.

Does anyone know if the latest firmware for rt-ac5300 corrects the issue regarding the admin password not working. ".17" is the last One I used but notice ".18" in now out..

Thank you
Steve

384.18 does integrate encrypted password support for the RT-AC5300.

Note that Asus intend to encrypt the password in even more models in the future, so anyone updating to a new stock firmware, make sure you keep an older settings backup somewhere if you intend to downgrade, or migrate to Asuswrt-Merlin before I get the required source code to also enable it on my end.

384.18 does integrate encrypted password support for the RT-AC5300.

Note that Asus intend to encrypt the password in even more models in the future, so anyone updating to a new stock firmware, make sure you keep an older settings backup somewhere if you intend to downgrade, or migrate to Asuswrt-Merlin before I get the required source code to also enable it on my end.

Works beautifully. Thanks

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!