What's new

[Advice needed] DIR-855 or WRT610N || WMP300N or DWA-556

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jfromeo

New Around Here
Hello to all the community :)

I'm looking for advice about which 11n wireless router and adapter to get. I have narrowed the options down to the D-Link DIR-855 or Linksys WRT610N in the case of the router, and the D-Link DWG-556 or Linksys WMP300N in the case of the adapter.

What I need is 11n compliance, 10/100/1000 ethernet gigabit, MIMO,WDS, WPA-2 PSK and dual-band (2.4-5GHz). It is meant to be used with hardcore gaming (css) and some P2P.

I'm starting this thread because, although the DIR-855 beats the WRT610N in all performance charts, I see everyday many people recommending the Linksys over the D-Link and I simply don't know why.

About the adapters, the v2 of the WMP300N has the Atheros chipset AR5416, while the D-Link one has the AR5418. Is there any difference between them? I would like them to be able to inject IVs on GNU/LiNUX.

And another quick question, is there a 11n wireless adapter that can handle dual band (2.4-5GHz)?

Many thanks :)

You will find very few recommendations for the DIR-855, simply because it is so expensive compared to other dual-band draft 11n products.

The DIR-855 was tested using the Azimuth method and the WRT610N using open-air. So how can you say that the DIR-855 beats the WRT610N in "all performance charts"?

I can't speak to whether Atheros draft 11n chipsets will allow IV injection, sorry.

There are many dual-band draft 11n adapters, but none that are PCI-based.

Oh sorry, then I was wrong.

I took this charts as a base: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_chart/Itemid,189/. But I did'nt realise they were done under different scenarios.

So, maybe the WRT610N is the way to go? Or is there any other option? I don't care about spending a large amount of money (well, $400 would be the budget limit) as long as it's top-notch and it can last me for some years (that's why it must have the 11n, mainly).

And PCI-e x1/4/8/16 based?

Thank you :)

That chart is wired routing throughput, which does not include wireless performance. Wireless tests also do not include routing throughput.

At the rate that draft 11n is developing, nothing is going to "last for years".
The WRT610N is as good as any dual-band router, which is to say that they all have reduced range in 5 GHz.

If you don't need a gigabit switch, the WRT400N is what I would get. Otherwise the WRT610N is a decent choice.

For a PCI-e card, I use the Intel Wi-Fi Link 5300 AGN mini-PCIe card as the standard test client.

That chart is wired routing throughput, which does not include wireless performance. Wireless tests also do not include routing throughput.

At the rate that draft 11n is developing, nothing is going to "last for years".
The WRT610N is as good as any dual-band router, which is to say that they all have reduced range in 5 GHz.

If you don't need a gigabit switch, the WRT400N is what I would get. Otherwise the WRT610N is a decent choice.

For a PCI-e card, I use the Intel Wi-Fi Link 5300 AGN mini-PCIe card as the standard test client.

Of note, the WRT610N GE switch doesn't support jumbo frames, so it may make sense to go with the WRT400N and pick up a jumbo supporting switch anyway.

That being said, Tim, do you have any plans to rerun performance testing on the 610 with updated firmware? I'm having a hard time understanding how the lower priced 400N could be a better performer.

Thanks!