What's new

AI Mesh node setup without cable?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

markc6123

Occasional Visitor
Hello all. My RT-AC86U had the WAN port blown by a lightning strike. I replaced it with an RT-AX88U, with an AC-68P aimesh node. I'd like to use the AC86U as an additional mesh node but can't seem to do it without the WAN port, is that correct? Can it be setup using wireless only? Thanks.
-Mark

I tried but it returns errors

Sorry, can't help you much. Last time I checked Asuswrt-Merlin firmware still had issues with wireless node discovery. Unfortunately, AiMesh is closed source and what causes the issue is unknown. Attempts to fix it were made even on Asus side. You have better chances with the same code base routers (all on 388), worse chances with mix and match on different code base (388 with 386). It may work between specific models and fail with others. If your specific combination fails - you have to find own workaround.

I can only give you a hint what I have tried and it worked:
- Run stock Asuswrt on the nodes, Asuswrt-Merlin is not needed there, wireless nodes are Repeaters.
- Run closest release stock Asuswrt to current Asuswrt-Merlin on the main router, do minimal setup just to get to AiMesh configuration.
- Add the nodes wirelessly with all routers running stock Asuswrt, reboot few times to make sure they reconnect properly.
- Upgrade the main router to Asuswrt-Merlin without reset and do the rest of your configuration manually. Don't worry, it works.

Additionally:
- If the above seems too complicated just run the extra routers as Repeaters on stock Asuswrt. The result is about the same without Guest Network to nodes.
- In a long run get a proper/better "mesh" system or if you want to stick with AiMesh upgrade your routers to the same model running the same firmware.
- Do "how much is my time worth" calculation and decide which way you want to go for further network upgrades. Troubleshooting time will help you decide.
- Reusing old equipment is not always the best idea for network expansion. At some point it's better to start fresh and explore other possible options.

Good luck!

Sorry, can't help you much. Last time I checked Asuswrt-Merlin firmware still had issues with wireless node discovery. Unfortunately, AiMesh is closed source and what causes the issue is unknown. Attempts to fix it were made even on Asus side. You have better chances with the same code base routers (all on 388), worse chances with mix and match on different code base (388 with 386). It may work between specific models and fail with others. If your specific combination fails - you have to find own workaround.

I can only give you a hint what I have tried and it worked:
- Run stock Asuswrt on the nodes, Asuswrt-Merlin is not needed there, wireless nodes are Repeaters.
- Run closest release stock Asuswrt to current Asuswrt-Merlin on the main router, do minimal setup just to get to AiMesh configuration.
- Add the nodes wirelessly with all routers running stock Asuswrt, reboot few times to make sure they reconnect properly.
- Upgrade the main router to Asuswrt-Merlin without reset and do the rest of your configuration manually. Don't worry, it works.

Additionally:
- If the above seems too complicated just run the extra routers as Repeaters on stock Asuswrt. The result is about the same without Guest Network to nodes.
- In a long run get a proper/better "mesh" system or if you want to stick with AiMesh upgrade your routers to the same model running the same firmware.
- Do "how much is my time worth" calculation and decide which way you want to go for further network upgrades. Troubleshooting time will help you decide.
- Reusing old equipment is not always the best idea for network expansion. At some point it's better to start fresh and explore other possible options.

Good luck!
Thanks Tech9

I have had mixed results over the years setting up AIMesh wirelessly. I have found the setting it up using ethernet has alsway worked for me. Then you can switch to wireless. In your case you might not be able to set up because you your port is shot.

Thanks, I tried but it returns errors with 4 or 5 possible reasons for failing, none of which apply.
I do not think that this appears in the "error" list: Do you have WPS enabled? It needs to be enabled in order for the node to pair with the router. It can be turned back off after setup. I went through this when I was pairing my node with my router for the first time. Both are running Merlin.

I'm assuming @markc6123 is doing AiMesh pairing as per Asus instructions.
My apologies. I just figured I would throw something out there from my experience (I do not remember WPS being included in ASUS' instructions), but I am very much an amateur at all of this. Sorry again.

Thanks Tech9
after receive error messages, you need to do a full rest on the node before tryiong agai or you will just kepp getting the same error

Sorry again.

Your suggestion is valid. People alter the default settings and forget about it resulting in hard to diagnose issues.

you need to do a full rest on the node before tryiong agai

This is also a valid suggestion. Sometimes it works right after the node was reset, sometimes... it doesn't. Worth to try few times though.

Thanks everyone. I had tried resetting in between attempts. I had NOT tried WPS however, I'll give that a shot next and if it fails I'll reinstall stock firmware on the second node and see what happens.

Hello all. My RT-AC86U had the WAN port blown by a lightning strike. I replaced it with an RT-AX88U, with an AC-68P aimesh node. I'd like to use the AC86U as an additional mesh node but can't seem to do it without the WAN port, is that correct? Can it be setup using wireless only?
If you haven't done so already see the Asus directions for setting up AiMesh. Their directions don't require a cable connection to the AiMesh node.

see the Asus directions

This FAQ was updated in Jan 2024 and shows example pictures from Nov 2017 382 base firmware with early AiMesh 1.0 version. Asus has to hire some more people and update the Web, fix firmware Help tooltips, do better Customer Support in general. Their official FAQ pages are actually years behind what we post as support information here on SNB Forums. We are the ones doing free Asus routers support better than Asus themselves. The reason I rarely post links to official FAQ - most of it is outdated and useless.

Success! For anyone else who comes across this, I loaded standard Asus firmware on the new node, reset to factory, then searched for the node in the main router. Thanks again everyone.

Last edited:
As described in post #4 above you can now flash Asuswrt-Merlin on top of Asuswrt without reset on your main router and have both wireless AiMesh working plus Asuswrt-Merlin extra features. Unfortunately, if AiMesh fails for some reason you have to do this firmware juggling again and you can't restore saved configurations easily.

Thanks, I tried but it returns errors with 4 or 5 possible reasons for failing, none of which apply.
I setup AX56U and TUF-AX3000 both nodes with wifi AiMesh on merlin FW. However, it took me a while to be successful and lots of frustration 😅 ... The common errors I encountered were always no node found on wifi network even though they were placed right next to the router without cable. Sorry just to share it's possible, but on "how to", actually can't offer much pointers only can say "It just happened"

And this is exactly why I just decided to bite the bullet and run a 4-node Google Nest Wifi Pro mesh network behind my GT-AX6000. ;)

Google Nest, Private WAN IP the same as mine... you go open book, Pro.

1715570826107.png

As described in post #4 above you can now flash Asuswrt-Merlin on top of Asuswrt without reset on your main router and have both wireless AiMesh working plus Asuswrt-Merlin extra features. Unfortunately, if AiMesh fails for some reason you have to do this firmware juggling again and you can't restore saved configurations easily.
Yes I already have Merlin on main router and first node.