What's new

AC5300 with Merlin can I use RT AC66u_B1 as a mesh node with either stock Asus FW or the AC66U merlin FW?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aross1976

Occasional Visitor
Hello I have recently installed merlin on my AC5300 and I want to use my old RT AC66U_B1 as an AI mesh node
but upon checking it looks like that there was only support for the RT AC66U, so I want to know if I can
a) use the merlin FW for the RT AC66U ( like does it matter if I have the _B1 variant is that FW version compatible with all variants of the AC66U inclusing my router?)
or
b) can I just set up the RT AC 66U_B1 as an AI mesh node with it still on stock Asus FW and my main router being on Merlin?

Hello,

AC66U_B1 == AC68U, so you need to use the Merlin AC68U FW. People use to recommend the node should stay on the stock fw, but I have no experience with the AC66U_B1, so can't comment on that.

Hello,

AC66U_B1 == AC68U, so you need to use the Merlin AC68U FW. People use to recommend the node should stay on the stock fw, but I have no experience with the AC66U_B1, so can't comment on that.
huh I never would have guessed that it would be AC68U
so you are saying it will also work on the stock FW too then
You are saying that in general the advice is that AI mesh node devices are recomended to just use stock FW and not merlin, not specifically my router by any other router being used as a mesh node with the main router running merlin then?
Well this is good news considering that the 68u FW is still being updated

Last edited:
huh I never would have guessed that it would be AC68U
so you are saying it will also work on the stoks FW too then
You are saying tht in general the advice is that AI mesh node devices are recomended to just use stokc FW and not merlin, not specifically my router by any other router being used as a mesh node with the main router running merlin then?
Well this is good nes considering that the 68u FW is still being updated
As I wrote, I have no experience with the ac66u_b1. Is AiMesh supported on stock? If yes, try it, if no, install Asuswrt-Merlin AC68U FW and set it up as a AiMesh node.

There is very little Merlin could add to the functionality of the nodes, so probably that is the reason why it is recommended to use the stock FW (most of the node's work is happening in the closed source part of the FW, which is the same in Asuswrt-Merlin). So yes, the main router can be Merlin and the nodes can be stock.

ps.: I run my nodes on Asuswrt-Merlin and I have no issues.

Good luck.

Really? Asus AiMesh?
Not all Asus router models support AiMesh. I was not sure and I did not want to write down false information, but I searched for it now, and the B1 does support it.

I have 2 RT-AC66U B1's and run stock firmware in combo with Merlin on the main router.

I had some trouble getting the node to connect with Merlin on the node but none with stock.

Not all Asus router models support AiMesh.

If RT-AC66U_B1 is the same hardware as RT-AC68U and runs the same software - AiMesh is obviously supported. Asuswrt-Merlin though has/had issues with wireless node discovery. It was fixed somewhere in 388 firmware with Asus help. Not sure if the fix was back ported to 386 firmware. The reason @dev_null had issues as well as many other folks around. My advice - if Asuswrt-Merlin extra features are not needed and stable AiMesh is the goal - stock Asuswrt on both main router and nodes. If wired possible - better.

If RT-AC66U_B1 is the same hardware as RT-AC68U and runs the same software - AiMesh is obviously supported.
Sorry, it was definitely not "obviously supported" to me.
As I wrote, I did not check, never had the unit, so I did not know for sure. I "obviously" knew there is no technical limitation because it is the same hardware, but there could have been a marketing one (or whatnot), so I did not write down something I did not know for sure.

Hello I have recently installed merlin on my AC5300 and I want to use my old RT AC66U_B1 as an AI mesh node
but upon checking it looks like that there was only support for the RT AC66U, so I want to know if I can
a) use the merlin FW for the RT AC66U ( like does it matter if I have the _B1 variant is that FW version compatible with all variants of the AC66U inclusing my router?)
or
b) can I just set up the RT AC 66U_B1 as an AI mesh node with it still on stock Asus FW and my main router being on Merlin?
Hi! Yes you can. My set up is exactly like that I have also set up RT- AC1200 as an access point. The entire network covers my entire house.

Not all Asus router models support AiMesh. I was not sure and I did not want to write down false information, but I searched for it now, and the B1 does support it.
It does support it. My Ac5300 is Aimeshed to my AC661 BU

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!