What's new

AiMesh AC86U + AC68U Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ArchDevil

Regular Contributor
Hi people how is it going?
So I've moved to a different place and purchased a second hand AC68U to put in one of the bedrooms to expand the Wifi coverage in the new apartment.
I've got an AC86U in the living room as my main router.
So i connected the AC68U as an AiMesh node and put it in the other bedroom, the issue is that when im connected on my laptop in the other bedroom with the AiMesh setup, i am receiving about 250 speed and when I'm connected from my bedroom to my main router in thr living room (AiMesh Off), I'm receiving 550 download speed so its more than double. also when im connected from my phone in the livung room it seems that it connects me to the node in my bedroom which is weird since my main router is much closer..
Both firmwares are up-to-date and i restored to factory settings on the AC68U after updating the firmware.
Isn't AiMesh suppose to expand coverage without hurting performance or i do something wrong here?

Others on here can explain it more in depth but essentially an AiMesh setup using dual band units will only provide half the wifi bandwidth to clients connected to the node unit. If the node has an ethernet link to the main unit then you should get near the same wifi bandwidth as the primary unit.

Why even use a mesh if you have coverage to the main unit without issue?

AiMesh in wireless backhaul mode is just a 'modern' form of 'Repeater' mode.

It will still give you half of the Wi-Fi performance your network environment is capable of. While the AiMesh node is in use.

If you're able to wire the AiMesh node, even if it isn't inside the area/room where you want it, it may give you better overall performance.

I say 'may' because, in an apartment, one router is usually 'too much Wi-Fi'. Two or more usually will give you and your neighbors a worse wireless experience than a single, well placed one.

Hi people how is it going?
So I've moved to a different place and purchased a second hand AC68U to put in one of the bedrooms to expand the Wifi coverage in the new apartment.
I've got an AC86U in the living room as my main router.
So i connected the AC68U as an AiMesh node and put it in the other bedroom, the issue is that when im connected on my laptop in the other bedroom with the AiMesh setup, i am receiving about 250 speed and when I'm connected from my bedroom to my main router in thr living room (AiMesh Off), I'm receiving 550 download speed so its more than double. also when im connected from my phone in the livung room it seems that it connects me to the node in my bedroom which is weird since my main router is much closer..
Both firmwares are up-to-date and i restored to factory settings on the AC68U after updating the firmware.
Isn't AiMesh suppose to expand coverage without hurting performance or i do something wrong here?

Probably too much WiFi. Try using just the AC86U, again... good for a very large home just like it says in the specs.

OE

AiMesh in wireless backhaul mode is just a 'modern' form of 'Repeater' mode.

It will still give you half of the Wi-Fi performance your network environment is capable of. While the AiMesh node is in use.

If you're able to wire the AiMesh node, even if it isn't inside the area/room where you want it, it may give you better overall performance.

I say 'may' because, in an apartment, one router is usually 'too much Wi-Fi'. Two or more usually will give you and your neighbors a worse wireless experience than a single, well placed one.
I understand. Thank you for the explanation.
Probably too much WiFi. Try using just the AC86U, again... good for a very large home just like it says in the specs.

OE
Yes right now I'm back using only the AC86U again. i placed it in a high spot in my living room now. I thought to use the AC68U as an AiMesh node because i thought it will give better signal to my other rooms but i guess one AC86U is plenty enough for my 105sqm apartment.

Yes right now I'm back using only the AC86U again. i placed it in a high spot in my living room now. I thought to use the AC68U as an AiMesh node because i thought it will give better signal to my other rooms but i guess one AC86U is plenty enough for my 105sqm apartment.

If the retired AC68U supports Media Bridge Mode and you need to connect far wired clients, you can setup the AC68U as a media bridge to connect wired clients only. All of its WiFi will be dedicated to its wireless backhaul and should not conflict with your WLANs. So for example, you could wire a PC or media box in the bedroom. Might come in handy, if you need that connectivity.

OE

If you adjust the wifi power level using the main node gui, does that setting also modify the AiMesh node wifi power?

If the retired AC68U supports Media Bridge Mode and you need to connect far wired clients, you can setup the AC68U as a media bridge to connect wired clients only. All of its WiFi will be dedicated to its wireless backhaul and should not conflict with your WLANs. So for example, you could wire a PC or media box in the bedroom. Might come in handy, if you need that connectivity.

OE
You mean use the AC68U as a AiMesh node but connect the laptop to it with a cable? Sorry for the headache as i never really used 2 routers, i moved to a bigger 105sqm apartment so i thought i would need a second router because the coverage signal, appears it's making it worse in my case..

You mean use the AC68U as a AiMesh node but connect the laptop to it with a cable? Sorry for the headache as i never really used 2 routers, i moved to a bigger 105sqm apartment so i thought i would need a second router because the coverage signal, appears it's making it worse in my case..

No, I meant Media Bridge Mode:

1610545410184.png

The router on the left is your AC86U. The router on the right is your AC68U in Media Bridge Mode for wired clients only.

OE

Think of Media Bridge mode as the ability to put many, normally 'wired only' client devices onto the Wi-Fi. Without the degrading effects of Repeater or wireless AiMesh mode to your network performance.

Because effectively, for the main router, each wired device on the Media Bridge is just a wireless client, like any other wireless client would be on the network.

The benefits of the Media Bridge is that the wireless connection will be stronger, more stable, and with more throughput than any normal wireless client could hope to be.

My customers would always ask me to 'sell' their old routers when they bought new ones. Sometimes, where I could, I helped a few out and did just that (and both customers were happy about it too).

Today, almost everyone needs an old router that has Media Bridge mode on it (and the RT-AC68U does) because of the work from home restrictions.

I have helped many customers upgrade their working environment that happened to have an old/spare router in a closet and moved their 'office' to where they wanted it to be. That is usually in a bright, open, and cheerful area of the home and usually one with a pleasant view too. A Media Bridge enables that because their desktop computer can be anywhere, they envision it to be.

A nice, framed motivational poster or two (paper-thin, and RF transparent) easily and beautifully hides the 'Media Bridge'. Win-win all around.

Far bedrooms with any wired capable client devices, media centers/TV's, basement gaming consoles, and garages are all good candidates for a Media Bridge.

And if you have two extra routers?

Then you can have not just wired, but also wireless clients in those far rooms without the penalties that Repeater or wireless AiMesh mode imposes too.

(You have one router in Media Bridge mode, as described above, and the other router in AP mode directly plugged into the Media Bridge).

Using a spare router in wired AP, or Media Bridge mode is also a way to save buying a switch too.

The above are just some reasons why I never recommend anyone buying an 'Extender', 'Repeater', 'PCIe or USB Wi-Fi adaptor', etc. They are just too focused and of limited use to spend money on. If you have a spare router or access to one that is equally prices or less.

If you adjust the wifi power level using the main node gui, does that setting also modify the AiMesh node wifi power?

One of these days we're going to get an answer to this AiMesh-in-a-tight-space question! :)

OE

No, I meant Media Bridge Mode:

View attachment 29470

The router on the left is your AC86U. The router on the right is your AC68U in Media Bridge Mode for wired clients only.

OE
So as i understand i can put the AC68U in one of the bedrooms and connect it with an Ethernet cable to my laptop while in yhe Media Bridge Mode and i should receive better bandwidth and signal than the AiMesh? Good to know. Thank you.
Think of Media Bridge mode as the ability to put many, normally 'wired only' client devices onto the Wi-Fi. Without the degrading effects of Repeater or wireless AiMesh mode to your network performance.

Because effectively, for the main router, each wired device on the Media Bridge is just a wireless client, like any other wireless client would be on the network.

The benefits of the Media Bridge is that the wireless connection will be stronger, more stable, and with more throughput than any normal wireless client could hope to be.

My customers would always ask me to 'sell' their old routers when they bought new ones. Sometimes, where I could, I helped a few out and did just that (and both customers were happy about it too).

Today, almost everyone needs an old router that has Media Bridge mode on it (and the RT-AC68U does) because of the work from home restrictions.

I have helped many customers upgrade their working environment that happened to have an old/spare router in a closet and moved their 'office' to where they wanted it to be. That is usually in a bright, open, and cheerful area of the home and usually one with a pleasant view too. A Media Bridge enables that because their desktop computer can be anywhere, they envision it to be.

A nice, framed motivational poster or two (paper-thin, and RF transparent) easily and beautifully hides the 'Media Bridge'. Win-win all around.

Far bedrooms with any wired capable client devices, media centers/TV's, basement gaming consoles, and garages are all good candidates for a Media Bridge.

And if you have two extra routers?

Then you can have not just wired, but also wireless clients in those far rooms without the penalties that Repeater or wireless AiMesh mode imposes too.

(You have one router in Media Bridge mode, as described above, and the other router in AP mode directly plugged into the Media Bridge).

Using a spare router in wired AP, or Media Bridge mode is also a way to save buying a switch too.

The above are just some reasons why I never recommend anyone buying an 'Extender', 'Repeater', 'PCIe or USB Wi-Fi adaptor', etc. They are just too focused and of limited use to spend money on. If you have a spare router or access to one that is equally prices or less.
I always thought AiMesh suppose to increase coverage and give a good bandwidth but as i see it's not quite true. Thanks for the explanation!

So as i understand i can put the AC68U in one of the bedrooms and connect it with an Ethernet cable to my laptop while in yhe Media Bridge Mode and i should receive better bandwidth and signal than the AiMesh? Good to know. Thank you.

Yes, but... the real point of media bridge is to connect Ethernet only clients wirelessly... not to be better than APs or AiMesh.

OE

I’m in the same position but unfortunately my main router is in a room on the side of the house on the first floor. So where we sit in the kitchen downstairs is on the other side of the house so my internet connection there isn’t as good.
I think my only option is to wire an Ethernet cable from the fibre to the property access point on the first floor all the way to the ground floor to the middle of the house.
notsure there will be a tidy way to do this

Just new with AI-Mesh. But after accessing the GUI of the AI-Mesh node its shows that its just on repeater mode. I'm currently on wireless 5ghz backhual.

Untitled.png

Just new with AI-Mesh. But after accessing the GUI of the AI-Mesh node its shows that its just on repeater mode. I'm currently on wireless 5ghz backhual.

View attachment 29841

Reset the node, don't configure it, and search/add it to the AiMesh from the AiMesh router/AP root node webUI.

Is that old firmware you are running?

OE

Reset the node, don't configure it, and search/add it to the AiMesh from the AiMesh router/AP root node webUI.

OE
yes, that's what I did. Both routers are running on Meron 384.19 and AI-Mesh was properly setup.
Normally, you wont be able to access the AI-Mesh node and will redirect you to the main AI-Mesh router.
But when you SSH to the AI-Mesh Node running nvram set re_mode=0 will let you access the GUI of the node.
Upon checking the settings and operation mode of the Node it is only just running on Repeater mode.

OE
Isn't on repeater mode it should give the full achievable speed on 5Ghz on the 68U as second? is it any better than Ai-Mesh?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!