What's new

AiMesh for Tri-band routers: RT-AC5300, GT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The read/write to/from NAS test is done from the same computer - first test Wi-Fi and then Wired.

Therefore the Wi-Fi test it should be at least the same speed as the wired.
In a theoretical world maybe but not in practice. The 1.7 Gbps is the ceiling speed of the Wireless AC adapter you have in your computer but it does't mean that is the current throughput of your wireless connection, big difference. Even if you were sitting right next to your wireless router you wouldn't get 1.7 Gbps. At any rate, 41.1 MB/sec is about 329 Mbps which isn't all that bad. Even over your wired connection you are not achieving a full 1 Gbps transfer rate (assuming you have a gigabit ethernet connection).

******************************************************************************************************************************

For all the people that started to lose their 2nd 5Ghz channel like I did, there is a work round, this is what I did, go to WAN settings and Clone your MAC address at the bottom of the Internet Connection Tab, restart your ISP's modem to gain a new IP if you are dynamically assigned one, this will give your 2nd 5Ghz channel its MAC address back.

******************************************************************************************************************************

EDIT: After several reboots, it went back to the missing 5Ghz and the Wifi section went all corrupt with a missing left side, it make me wonder if some were made with inferior hardware. Anyway back to Version 3.0.0.4.382.15984 and it works as it should. I will wait to the next release or if a none AiMesh is released, use that.......I am a bit mift :(

Please report back if it worked.

Regards

Tried doesn't work in my case. :/

The read/write to/from NAS test is done from the same computer - first test Wi-Fi and then Wired.

Therefore the Wi-Fi test it should be at least the same speed as the wired.
There is interference with wireless also which can slow down speeds. Same with distance. I pull around 100MB/sec wired. Wireless gets around half for me as well and I have an 80TB FreeNAS setup. I also have 2 NVMe drives in there also which bench at 3450 mbps read/write as another partition..

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Hi

I have the new firmware 3.0.0.4.384_20287 in my GT-AC5300.

In one of my computers I have the ASUS PCE-AC88, with a reported Wi-Fi connection speed of 1.7 Gbps.

But I can only get a file transfer speed of 41.1 MB/Sec. Why is this so low?

The file is transferred from a QNAP TS-563 with SSD disks and aggregated ports to the GT-AC5300.

When I try from a wired connection, I get a file transfer speed at 110 MB/Sec.
View attachment 11772

• Wired is full duplex; wireless is half duplex
  • Windows reports the connection type, not the actual transmission speed. What does the router report? (though that screen is buggy on it but is indicative of the transmission speed)
  • Do you have power saving features enabled on WiFi?
  • Are there other devices connected to the same channel?
  • Are there other processes using the connection that rank higher in QoS?
  • How far are you from the router? Your test should have the antenna ~1m away from the router
Your throughput does seem low if all your conditions are ideal but I don't have a lot of experience with AC; my N300 laptop gets 25MB/s (a tad more than 200Mb/s) a few rooms away on the same router and shared with other devices. More information, more testing could be educational.

Edit: I got 45MB/s copying a file via Asus USB-AC68 (1.3GBs connection) ~3m away (router shows 1300 when that screen works) whilst the computer was uploading files to OneDrive (slow upstream ISP though) and sharing the 5GHz channel with a smartphone.

Last edited:
For AC-5300 is IFTTT or Alexa integration there with this 384 firmware?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I upgraded the the latest stable version and started getting the same alerts bombarding my logs: kernel: protocol 0800 is buggy, dev eth4. Downgraded back to firmware 3.0.0.4.384_20216 and the messages stopped. I contacted Asus support about it, but has anyone else figured out how to stop those alerts on the stable firmware?

Can you try
LAN -> switch control ->” bonding/link aggragaion” set as disabled

I have the errors too and tried disabling bonding/link aggregation on my GT-AC5300 even though it was already set. Went through 20-30 seconds of applying even performed a reboot afterwards but the “protocol is buggy” messages are still being spammed in the syslog.

I’ll stay on this new release for now. I reboot every night so it’s already gone through a whole day without impact to normal usage.

This release is as good as the last non AIMesh beta I used (494 maybe?). The VPN speed is a little better and I think much more stable. I get far less stuttering when streaming. My issue is I get spammed in the log about an error with the DDNS. Not sure what that’s about. I get other errors about USB but don’t use the USB ports so I have no idea what that’s about at all. Overall it’s good, I just wish I could use my VPN connection as my main instead of having to manually set each device. But hey at least it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not updated yet as my setup is currently running very well. For when I do update, where can I download the prior firmware file from (in case forced to downgrade)? I'd like to be prepared!..... and are there any instructions for downgrading?

You can't download the firmware from the router. But you can find the exact version from web interface and search for that exact release. Here on the forum you'll find the Googled dive location.
Config is simple: in Administration you can download it. And you can easily restore it when you want.

Can you try
LAN -> switch control ->” bonding/link aggragaion” set as disabled
I haven't tried that as I am currently trying to use link aggregation on the router. I have instead reverted back to version 3.0.0.4.384_20216 which has link aggregation working without the error messages. However, I did try enabling Jumbo Frames on the newest firmware before I reverted back and that seemed to have stopped the errors. It's almost as if the router thinks it is getting jumbo frames when nothing in my setup is using them. I reached out to Asus support again since the were fixed the previous link aggregation issue I was having with a beta firmware (the one I am currently running again - 3.0.0.4.384_20216).

With the 3.0.0.4.384_20287 firmware on my GT-AC5300, I can no longer see wired clients in the iOS App "ASUS Router", I can only see the Wi-Fi clients.

Can you see them in the router settings on your computer?

Regards

Yes, in the router settings on my computer, all connected devices show up both wired and Wi-Fi clients.

I would say the phone app needs an update TBH, I use the Android version and it works as it should.

Regards

Updated this morning, and all seems great. Actually - all seems to be even better than before - as I'm now getting far superior wifi connection speeds (testing with speedtest.net). Did something change in this recent update to fix that?

I didn't do a hard reset of router, but as everything working am guessing no need. Most of my settings were default anyway (using smart connect), and not any any issues with the bands disappearing.

The only issue I had is that after updating, when I went back to firmware update screen it started doing the update again - but a restart fixed this.