1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

AiMesh half duplex?

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by macster2075, Dec 13, 2019.

1. macster2075

macster2075 Regular Contributor

Hi..
    I have been looking and looking online for a few days now and I cannot find the answer to my question.
    Based on the research I've done on AiMesh, it woks pretty much the same as a Repeater.... so it begs the question... does AiMesh cut bandwidth in half for devices connected to the Aimesh node via wifi?

2. skeal

skeal Part of the Furniture

Kind of. You need an ethernet backhaul if you want great performance.

3. macster2075

Meaning, connect the node to the main router via Ethernet?

so, if that's the case.. then what's the difference between doing that and just getting another router, disabling DHCP and connecting it to the main router via Ethernet and using that as an AP providing access via lan and wifi?

4. skeal

It's full duplex but reduces total throughput by half to accommodate the backhaul if isn't wired.

5. skeal

Actually you are talking to a guy who doesn't really like AImesh and, I like my router, AP setup quite nice. Of course connected by ethernet.

EventPhotoMan likes this.
  6. skeal

The difference is control of settings to me.

7. macster2075

The more I read into Aimesh.. the more I realize that the main thing about Aimesh is just makes it easier to extend your network rather than having to manually configure another router... gonna save my money and just keep using my secondary router which I have connected to the Asus router via Ethernet which is providing access to the other devices on the other side of the house via lan and wireless.

L&LD and skeal like this.
  8. skeal

You're a smart man.

L&LD likes this.
  9. Klueless

Klueless Very Senior Member

I lifted this from SNB Reviews;

"One thing AiMesh will do to attempt to avoid congestion is bandsteer clients from the backhaul band to the other. In my case, this meant steering from 5 GHz (where all clients initially connected) to 2.4 GHz. To be clear, this is a good move: you don't want the traffic from your clients directly competing with its own backhaul for airtime. The problem is that ASUS still hasn't quite figured out how to manage band steering without continually disconnecting clients. I had major issues with band steering and stability both times I tested the solo RT-AC3200, and I had the same issues this time around with AiMesh."

It looks like Asus has some good ideas and as AiMesh matures it might do what one would hope.

skeal likes this.
  10. EventPhotoMan

EventPhotoMan Very Senior Member

Extactly, that’s the way it was originally planned. I really think this mesh idea what Someone’s marketing scheme to fix a wireless issue.

Kal-EL likes this.
  11. macster2075

In my opinion, it takes more time and effort to setup Aimesh than manually setting up another router which you only have to disable dhcp and change its IP address lol

Kal-EL likes this.
  12. Val D.

Val D. Very Senior Member

AiMesh (artificial intelligence?) works on ASUS routers only. HiMesh (human intelligence!) works on any router. :)

EventPhotoMan and jsbeddow like this.
  13. Grisu

Grisu Part of the Furniture

Mesh in general is a good thing if it works reliable, others do it very well with good band and node steering and guest SSID available on nodes too.
    Aimesh is still on its way and you need some more patience - only question how long they will need to be reliable too if ever.

14. EventPhotoMan

EventPhotoMan Very Senior Member

Good one!