What's new

GT-AX6000+RT-AC68U=no aimesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thecatman

New Around Here
Hi everyone!
I have the latest merlin firmware loaded 3004.388.6 on rog gt-ax6000 and I would like to add as aimesh node the rt-ac68u, always updated with the latest merlin 386.12_4, but it won't let me do it.
Practically, on the ax6000, I follow the procedure for adding the aimesh node, it finds the ac68u, it starts adding it but, when it reaches 40%, it accelerates up to 100% and popup a windows error that say it is impossible to add the aimesh node, check etc etc.
Has this situation ever happened to you? Does the AC68U need to be flashed with the original Asus firmware before add to aimesh? Thank you.

This specific AC68U model has the most reported AiMesh trouble and added to your new GT-AX6000 as node may have negative impact on your entire Wi-Fi system performance. Run stock Asuswrt on the AC68U and try again. Try adding it wired. You don't need Asuswrt-Merlin on a node. Plan better matching AX-class node upgrade.

Ok, thanks. Any suggestions about AX-class router? ax3000 rt-ax58u v2 is a good upgrade?

Last edited:
No, that is not a recommended model.

The RT-AX68U is superior. The GT-AX6000 is an option (depending on availability and pricing). The currently recommended 'best-bang-for-the-buck' router is the RT-AX88U Pro.

I have the same configuration in Aimesh mode and it works great!

On the AX6000 I have Merlin installed and on the AC68U latest factory firmware + ETH backhaul.

There is no need for Merlin on Aimesh nodes anyway and I never had any problems with adding the nodes with factory firmwares...

No, that is not a recommended model.

The RT-AX68U is superior. The GT-AX6000 is an option (depending on availability and pricing). The currently recommended 'best-bang-for-the-buck' router is the RT-AX88U Pro.
It depends on your use case. The RT-AX3000/RT-AX58U supports 160 MHz on the 5 GHz band, while the RT-AX68U does not. If ou are planning a wireless AiMesh node, 160 MHz provides much higher connection rates — often 3+ Gbps in both directions.

I have the same configuration in Aimesh mode and it works great!

On the AX6000 I have Merlin installed and on the AC68U latest factory firmware + ETH backhaul.

There is no need for Merlin on Aimesh nodes anyway and I never had any problems with adding the nodes with factory firmwares...
HI. sorry for the stupid question but does ETH backhaul have to be a direct cable connection between the main node and the secondary node or can there also be a switch between the two? Basically my main router is connected to a 48 port switch located in the attic, from there the LAN cables start that go to every part of the house. Thank you

Should work as long as the switch isn’t segregating your network. (Managed switch might be able to isolate by vlan tagging or subnet.)

HI. sorry for the stupid question but does ETH backhaul have to be a direct cable connection between the main node and the secondary node or can there also be a switch between the two? Basically my main router is connected to a 48 port switch located in the attic, from there the LAN cables start that go to every part of the house. Thank you

Try setting it up with direct LAN connection at first. Watch out; WPS should be on on your AX6000!

Reset AC68U to factory firmware to default settings, wait a few minutes to properly load everything... Then connect it to your main AX6000 with LAN cable and search for node.

Good luck!

Ok. thanks. And now I recovered an ax3000 ... surprise! Imesh doesn't work with ax3000 either. Then I must assume I have some configuration problem with gt-ax6000. Any help, thanks!

Works! I had to enable wps!

Last edited:
If you disable Intranet access for guest network 1 (the only guest network that can be pushed to AiMesh nodes), then VLAN tags 501 (2.4 GHz) and 502 (5 GHz) need to be enabled for the ports to the AiMesh nodes. If you use an unmanaged switch, some vendors do and some do not forward VLAN tags. My experience is that TP-Link unmanaged switches work well — I have configured the necessary VLAN tags for my managed TP-Link switch.

If you disable Intranet access for guest network 1 (the only guest network that can be pushed to AiMesh nodes), then VLAN tags 501 (2.4 GHz) and 502 (5 GHz) need to be enabled for the ports to the AiMesh nodes. If you use an unmanaged switch, some vendors do and some do not forward VLAN tags. My experience is that TP-Link unmanaged switches work well — I have configured the necessary VLAN tags for my managed TP-Link switch.
I have only cisco unmanaged sg110-24 linked with optical fiber

It depends on your use case. The RT-AX3000/RT-AX58U supports 160 MHz on the 5 GHz band, while the RT-AX68U does not. If ou are planning a wireless AiMesh node, 160 MHz provides much higher connection rates — often 3+ Gbps in both directions.

Yes, specs.

In my experience, the RT-AX58U is the most unstable, flakey, and unreliable Asus router I have used. Not recommended, regardless of its specs.

I use a RT-AX58U as a wireless AImesh node, and haven’t had any issues directly related to it. But I don’t use entware, samba or anything special with it. And both routers are scheduled to reboot daily early mornings. With that said using it for a main router could be a painful experience depending on how you use it. I bought a GT-AX11000 for the heavier lifting the RT-AX58U was bought out of necessity and I didn’t need anything stronger. A 2.5G port or LAG would have been nice, but it is what it is.

Yes, specs.

In my experience, the RT-AX58U is the most unstable, flakey, and unreliable Asus router I have used. Not recommended, regardless of its specs.
My experience has been the opposite when used as AiMesh node. YMMV.

Yes, YMMV, agreed.

When paired with a superior router, it decreased the responsiveness of the network noticeably. In addition to all its other attributes.

(Can't find the link for specific (RT-AX86U main) network slowdowns when used with RT-AX58U wired backhaul AiMesh node).

How did you set up the aimesh node to restart?

It mirrors the settings of the main router so gui reboot schedular. But in theory if that didn’t work you could use the reboot scheduler from amtms ssh as even as a node you can ssh into the router as again it’s username/password mirrors that if the main router because AImesh. Personally I would prefer having separate passwords.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!