1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

AiMesh network from different routers

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by bzenkin, Feb 26, 2020.

Tags:
  1. bzenkin

bzenkin New Around Here

Hi.
    I have an AiMesh network (RT-AC88U - main, 2 node: RT-AC88U and RT-AC86U). Node are connected to the main router in LAN ports. Can I connect Lyra MAP-AC1300 (2 pcs) also directly to the LAN port of the main router?

2. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Part of the Furniture

I don't know... have not done it. But if they support AiMesh, they should work. Seems like a lot of WiFi. Maybe the 86U should be the router.

OE

3. bzenkin

bzenkin New Around Here

Thanks for the answer.

I want to clarify the question. This is a matter of node connection topology. Somewhere I saw that it is possible to connect 3 nodes in the form of a star and 1 node to one of the child nodes to the main router. I need to connect 4 nodes to the main router in the form of a star. The question is that I want to purchase 2 more routers, but I don’t know if they will work like that. All nodes are connected via Ethernet.

4. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Part of the Furniture

Star wiring all nodes to the router/root node would be the most preferred topology, imo... direct and wired. I would use the router with the best hardware specs (86U?) as the root node, although that would mean only four LAN ports on the router/root node. If you keep the 88U as the root node, I would use the first four ports for the nodes since it seems the upper four ports are the ones that go bad on the 88U (from what I hear).

OE

5. Grisu

Grisu Part of the Furniture

And search for Lyra and Aimesh, what I remember they made a lot of headache to their users.

Theoretically both star and daisy chain will work over LAN and Wifi, whatever Aimesh finds automatically as best backhaul.