What's new

AiMesh - nodes wont connect to preferred uplink AP’s (most of the time).

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

autopilot

Occasional Visitor
I have an Asus AX88U, 2 XD4’s and an XD4+. Set up in wireless AP mode only. Merlin on the AX88U, stock on the rest (don’t think Merlin is available for the XD4’s anyway).

The XD4’s are connected to the AX88U via Ethernet, apart from one of them in my garage.

The problem I have is that the garage node doesn’t want to connect the nearest node, despite setting the near one as the preferred, instead it always wants to connect to the AX88U. This is a long way away and the connect is very poor. Sometimes after a system reboot it will connect to the preferred one which is closer and it has a very good connection when it does, yet it insists on a poor connection 90% of the time.

Any way to force the node to connect to the preferred other node?

Perhaps because your main router is seen as the better uplink AP with less retransmissions.

I know there is a setting for preferred uplink in AiMesh page, but I don't know if you can make specific AP the only possible uplink.

I have an Asus AX88U, 2 XD4’s and an XD4+. Set up in wireless AP mode only.
The XD4’s are connected to the AX88U via Ethernet, apart from one of them in my garage.

The problem I have is that the garage node doesn’t want to connect the nearest node, despite setting the near one as the preferred, instead it always wants to connect to the AX88U.
I'm confused. Are the wired devices running in AP mode or as mesh nodes?

Seems if the XD4 near the garage was in AP mode, you could enter its web interface and direct it to use the garage device as a mesh node to itself. The (main) router shouldn't ever get involved in trying to "meshly" control anything that way.

Unless, of course, the router is already in reality mastering one or more network mesh nodes...

For stuff like this, (system-wide) Aimesh shows its limitations and strict AP mode just works better.

I have an Asus AX88U, 2 XD4’s and an XD4+. Set up in wireless AP mode only. Merlin on the AX88U, stock on the rest (don’t think Merlin is available for the XD4’s anyway).

The problem I have is that the garage node doesn’t want to connect the nearest node, despite setting the near one as the preferred, instead it always wants to connect to the AX88U. This is a long way away and the connect is very poor. Sometimes after a system reboot it will connect to the preferred one which is closer and it has a very good connection when it does, yet it insists on a poor connection 90% of the time.

Any way to force the node to connect to the preferred other node?
Change the AP's to AiMesh nodes then you can go into the Garage/Management and set Preferred WiFi Uplink AP to the closest node.

Change the AP's to AiMesh nodes then you can go into the Garage/Management and set Preferred WiFi Uplink AP to the closest node.

As I said in my original, that’s what I have done but it still connects to a node that’s much further away.

I'm confused. Are the wired devices running in AP mode or as mesh nodes?

Seems if the XD4 near the garage was in AP mode, you could enter its web interface and direct it to use the garage device as a mesh node to itself. The (main) router shouldn't ever get involved in trying to "meshly" control anything that way.

Unless, of course, the router is already in reality mastering one or more network mesh nodes...

For stuff like this, (system-wide) Aimesh shows its limitations and strict AP mode just works better.

Apologies for not being clear, the whole Asus system is in AP mode, including the AX88u. I’m using a separate TP Link router.

So log into the near-to-garage AP and add the garage unit as a node there, not on the /main/ AP. Right?

So log into the near-to-garage AP

As I understand @autopilot has AiMesh in AP Mode with different main router. This is where the confusion is coming from. AiMesh in AP Mode is different than AP Mode on separate devices. In this configuration the only AiMesh UI is at the main AiMesh node - the RT-AX88U router.

So log into the near-to-garage AP and add the garage unit as a node there, not on the /main/ AP. Right?

As I understand @autopilot has AiMesh in AP mode with different main router. This is where the confusion is coming from. AiMesh in AP Mode is different than AP Mode on separate devices. In this configuration the only AiMesh UI is at the main AiMesh node - the RT-AX88U router.

Correct.

I'm afraid AiMesh has very limited control over "nodes" and you can't change the behavior.

On the next upgrade go for something better like Omada or UniFi and you'll be happier with your "mesh" setup.

So we're back to being entirely unclear just how the system's being used. If the primary Asus unit is acting as an AP /and/ mesh controller for the other units then the problem makes sense. Run /all/ the Asus units in strict AP mode, or at least the one wanted to feed/control the garage unit as a mesh node.

When in AP mode the option to head a mesh is at least present.

Alternatively, perhaps, use the garage node as a wireless bridge back to the closest "node". Whichever radio's used as the link will be unavailable to service garage clients but I believe I recall the other radio then remaining available for client use through the bridge.

Run /all/ the Asus units in strict AP mode

There is no wireless AP Mode, wired only. The garage node is wireless. The reason why @autopilot runs AiMesh. Perhaps they want to see all the nodes on a single UI page as well. The configuration is valid. Wired AiMesh nodes are in fact Access Points, wireless "nodes" are Repeaters.

but I believe I recall the other radio then remaining available

No. What Asus calls Media Bridge is Wireless-to-Ethernet only. No wireless clients support. Possible option is Repeater.

Something else you need to know @glens is Asus ZenWiFi AX Mini (XD4) is in fact router and satellite(s) and not all identical units like your XT8. The router in XD4 set is a XD4R unit and the satellite is XD4N unit with no WAN port and perhaps limited to AiMesh node use only.

Looks (peruses) like the XT8 without the 5-2 radios external to the main SOC. Would have to peek into the firmware to see, but that's what it feels like at a glance.

Reckon I'm at a disadvantage not being familiar with Asus networking prior to my XT8s.

Would love to hear feedback re "wireless bridging" the garage node to its nearest neighbor if the neighbor AS A WIRED AP can't host the garage unit as a mesh node. Though saying that out loud actually calls to mind the scenario were the garage unit will only have one band available to clients. But on the other other hand, as a mesh to just inside the house the backhaul band /could/ be exposed to client traffic. Decisions, decisions...