What's new

AiMesh not working anymore on 2 latest Merlin firmwares

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have been working through different levels of crashing the node and recovering the AIMesh with an Ethernet cable. The worst case I think has been breaking the mesh by doing a hard reset on the node without disconnecting. After resetting the node and rebooting the router I was able to re-establish the AIMesh node over Ethernet.

I then did a hard reset followed by a GUI reset (Administration => Restore & Initialize) on both devices. After doing a minimal setup, I was able to again reestablish the AIMesh node using the Ethernet cable.

I did confirm that one MUST connect to the WAN port on the node so that the AIMesh connection dialog box reports an Ethernet connection. If you connect to a LAN port on the node the dialog box will only report a wireless connection attempt which will fail. This was most likly my problem when I attemoted to upgrade my AP ( post #51 )

@RachaelSeven If you are so inclined, please upgrade your node only via the GUI to 386.3_2. I expect that the mesh will persist after the upgrade, but in any event please hard reset the node after the upgrade. After it boots connect a cable as above and try to establish the mesh. Let us know please!

@RachaelSeven If you are so inclined, please upgrade your node only via the GUI to 386.3_2. I expect that the mesh will persist after the upgrade, but in any event please hard reset the node after the upgrade. After it boots connect a cable as above and try to establish the mesh. Let us know please!
I was under pressure from needing to open tomorrow, so I had to redeploy already and can't run that test unless it goes down. Sorry!

there are limitations running an AC node off of an AX router.
@bbunge Not up to speed on this TBH, can you point me to some specific references. Google is not getting me there. I can expect that the AX might need to be "dumbed down", like not using WPA3.

I'm having issues with aimesh as well, FW 386.3_2 on 2x AC86U and an AC66U_b1.
Before the fw upgrade, I was running 384.18 on one of the ac86u's, and the aimesh node was the ac66U. Had no problems with the mesh. (Second ac86u was a backup for the other one at the time)
Did the upgrade to 386.3_2 on Tuesday afternoon and still have issues today, about 24 hours of troubleshooting!
All the routers have had a hard reset several times, many reboots, and unplugging... still will not make a connection. Running the AiMesh set up on the base ac86u, it finds the other routers (nodes) but cannot make a connection. WPS is enabled, someone in this thread mentioned making sure it was on.
I have no idea except there must be an issue with the latest firmware....sorry to say because there's nothing else to try!
Any help would be very much appreciated as I'm about to make some bricks out of my routers...or at least use them for speed bumps in the driveway!!!
I really don't want to go back to a different firmware since I only have a certain window of time to have the network down at home...

X

Attachments

• Mesh_error.jpg
    Mesh_error.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 131
Are you using ethernet backhaul?
This has to be enabled on the Router/AP AND on the node.
Once you switch the node to Aimesh node, it will factory reset (it tells you), at that point you need to search for the node to add it to the mesh.

@xdj, please re read posts this tread, and specifically 45, 51 and 61. No where have you indicated you have followed the process @bbunge and I have suggested.

@ringlord no special configuration needs to performed for backhaul. Indeed I will confirm it is set to the default of AUTO in my work. The most important item is to use the WAN connection on the node and the cable may be disconnected after the connection is working.

@ringlord that isn't true (what router(s) are you describing?).

The main router has all the settings needed to enable/disable wired backhaul (or not).

No wired backhaul, if I could, I would... I've set up AiMesh many times before without any issues.
Problems started with the latest firmware upgrade.
I guess I could have wired it first for discovery and configuration, and then moved the nodes to their permanent location for wifi as someone suggested in the thread.
My issue was that the main ac86u was able to discover the nodes but was not able to complete the configuration of them. I was following Asus' instructions on how to do it through wifi as I always do. As I mentioned before, not my first rodeo.
There seems to be a lot of hoop-jumping in this thread to get the ac86u's to work connecting nodes for AiMesh, that seems very odd to me but what can I do, it's supposed to be simple...correct? (Rhetorical)
I was finally able to get the second ac86u configured as a node after many attempts...In my frustration, I pressed the reset button for 10 seconds on the ac86 node while I was in the main 86u's GUI for aimesh and ran a search. Within seconds the node was discovered and a few seconds after that it was configured.
I tried the same procedure with the ac66u_b1 but to no avail. So, I decided to remove merlin's latest firmware with Asus' latest stock firmware, and bingo, it configured without any issues. Just to let you know, before I did this I tried reverting back to the previous fw I was using that the ac66u was running and then flashed to 386.3_2 and it still did not work.
So thank you to all for your suggestions, but for now on; if it ain't broken, don't fix it will be my motto unless Merlin adds features I can benefit from.
I am a fan of Eric's firmware, in the early days of his mods, there were fixes he made that improved the performances of the router I was using and that was very appreciated. On a side note, I did read that the AiMesh is a closed source that is out of Merlin's control.
Today is the first day with all three routers/nodes with up-to-date firmware and we'll see how they perform with gaming, streaming, and browsing!
Thanks again, enjoy the long weekend.

Cheers,

X

I guess I could have wired it first for discovery and configuration, and then moved the nodes to their permanent location for wifi as someone suggested in the thread.
Yes, you should have.
My issue was that the main ac86u was able to discover the nodes but was not able to complete the configuration of them.
That's why we are all here.
There seems to be a lot of hoop-jumping in this thread to get the ac86u's to work connecting nodes for AiMesh, that seems very odd to me but what can I do, it's supposed to be simple...correct? (Rhetorical)
Hoop jumping, no, testing and comparing notes, yes. There is nothing in this tread related to 2 AC86's not working together. The issue impacts AC68u and AC66u b1, but is often seen when they are used as nodes with an AC86.

You can lead a horse to water .......

Last edited:
Reactions: xdj
Yes, you should have.

Hoop jumping, no, testing and comparing notes, yes. There is nothing in this tread related to 2 AC86's not working together. The issue impacts AC86u and AC66u b1, but is often seen when they are used as nodes with an AC86.

Yes, you should have.

Hoop jumping, no, testing and comparing notes, yes. There is nothing in this tread related to 2 AC86's not working together. The issue impacts AC86u and AC66u b1, but is often seen when they are used as nodes with an AC86.

Suggestions for a new base unit, especially for gaming? Asking for a friend :)

Just want to chime in and reiterate. For those who are having problems with AIMESH not connecting at all or only able to connect through WIRED backhaul, please flash back to latest STOCK firmware from Asus website. It should work fine.

Regardless whether it's a clean install with default settings on Asus Merlin or not, please try Asus STOCK firmware first.

Just want to chime in and reiterate. For those who are having problems with AIMESH not connecting at all or only able to connect through WIRED backhaul, please flash back to latest STOCK firmware from Asus website. It should work fine.
I do not believe that this is correct in all cases. If one is using an RT-AC68u (family) device as a ROUTER and NODE(S) and either device has 386.2_6 or higher, then an Ethernet cable is required connected to the WAN of node to create the AIMesh. After the mesh is running, the device can be disconnected and relocated.

It also appears that upgrading a functioning AIMesh will generally work, however if a node is reset, it can only be added back via Ethernet. Similarly, if one wishes to do a clean setup, then an Ethernet cable is required.

Please see my testing here.

Your testing shows that AiMesh works on stock firmware on both router and node. That's what I meant by "flash back to Asus stock firmware".

@fisherman10 You are subverting the nature of this post on the MERLIN thread, and as written, incorrectly communicating functionality.

As @Tech9 has stated.
Most folks already know stock Asuswrt works fine. They want to use Asuswrt-Merlin though.
You also state, incorrectly:
only able to connect through WIRED backhaul
The only need for the Ethernet is initial CONFIGURATION of the AIMesh node(s). Once configured, wireless AIMesh functions just fine.

At this point, I believe that all versions of Merlin CAN be made to work on all supported hardware, however some hardware combinations require an Ethernet cable to get setup. ASUS stock has always worked, no debate, but not the goal of the OP or readers.

@fisherman10 You are subverting the nature of this post on the MERLIN thread, and as written, incorrectly communicating functionality.

As @Tech9 has stated.

You also state, incorrectly:

The only need for the Ethernet is initial CONFIGURATION of the AIMesh node(s). Once configured, wireless AIMesh functions just fine.

At this point, I believe that all versions of Merlin CAN be made to work on all supported hardware, however some hardware combinations require an Ethernet cable to get setup. ASUS stock has always worked, no debate, but not the goal of the OP or readers.

The reason I'm telling to try out Asus stock firmware first is to rule out any potential hardware or configuration faults. Because I see many replies here talking about trying out configuration and WiFi settings in the web portal. By trying stock firmware and/or default settings, we can at least rule out some problems. Then we can confirm that there is a problem with Merlin firmware.

For situations where Ethernet is needed for initial configuration of AiMesh, it will be able to add node but from my testing, after disconnecting the LAN cable, the wireless connection between node and main router will be inconsistent. At times it will disconnect momentarily and resume back on its own. This momentary disconnection won't happen if the LAN cable remains connected.

after disconnecting the LAN cable, the wireless connection between node and main router will be inconsistent. At times it will disconnect momentarily and resume back on its own. This momentary disconnection won't happen if the LAN cable remains connected.
There is no evidence, that I have seen, that indicates establishing a functioning AIMesh and "dropped connections" are related. In this post I am using stock ASUS firmware and discuss dropped connections. It predates this Merlin thread. There are other similar posts.

I can see how some (you) may think the issues are related, wireless is not working. Yes, you may experience both, independently. There are probably 8-12 posts that specifically discuss users not being able to ESTABLISH an AIMesh. Please search my user name to find same. I only recall one post, in this tread, mentioning dropped connections. maestro (post 27) has made a comment about dropped connections, however he made no indication of an inability to ESTABLISH the AIMesh. I believe his issue to be incorrectly placed in this thread.

If you believe this to be incorrect, you should cite links to specific posts which offer detailed information linking these 2 issues as opposed to your general thoughts and observations.

Hello everyone!
I knew that with word "Merlin" sometimes miracles happening :))))
I am a big fan of Eric's FW for a lot of years. Owning AC68U, AC86U and two weeks ago bought AX86U.
All 3 were running 386.3_2 FW, after arriving of new AX86U new AiMesh was created and for 2 weeks were working without any problems (WIFI only).
Then suddenly, without any warnings, AC68U disappeared and won't connect back to system.
I was dancing around it for last 3 days, and I thought that I am crazy already, and finally came here and saw this thread.... :))))

Indeed.
After flashing stock Asus firmware it finally connected as AiMesh node to AiMesh system on AX86U, up and running again!
And then I had updated it again to 386.3_2 through web interface of AX86U (just for fun to be honest) and it still working without problem...

Miracles everywhere... :)))

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!