What's new

Aimesh on RT-AC56U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Can u share wad settings u did or which CFE? Can u share ur CFE file with me(omitting your mac address and secret code).

Yes after converting mine still works.

So I have successfully flashed to AC68U firmware. However, both USB ports are not working. Not detecting USB drives or portable harddisks. Not even power.

I noticed it has power while booting up. After it boots up, power disconnects.

I'm on Asus Official latest 3.0.0.4.386.40558 firmware as of today.

May I know what firmware version are you on?

Last edited:
So I have successfully flashed to AC68U firmware. However, both USB ports are not working. Not detecting USB drives or portable harddisks. Not even power.

I noticed it has power while booting up. After it boots up, power disconnects.

I'm on Asus Official latest 3.0.0.4.386.40558 firmware as of today.

May I know what firmware version are you on?

Currently I'm using Merlin 384.19 and my cfe is 1.0.2.0 from one of my 68u's, like in the op, but also with the mac address from the 56u and maybe that is why my USB works.

I did that trying to make it as compatible as possible with Aimesh, which I currently do not use, I now adjust the roaming strength and it works great for me.

@Special you're a legend!

Thanks

Last edited:
Currently I'm using Merlin 384.19 and my cfe is 1.0.2.0 from one of my 68u's that I modified, like in the op, but also with the mac address from the 56u and maybe that is why my USB works.

I did that trying to make it as compatible as possible with Aimesh, which I currently do not use, I now adjust the roaming strength and it works great for me.
Thanks

can u help to confirm if aimesh will work if i use an ac68u's cfe which u modify?

Do not mess with your router's region codes. Running your router outside of its legal region isn't allowed, and discussions on these forums about how to change that is forbidden.

Currently I'm using Merlin 384.19 and my cfe is 1.0.2.0 from one of my 68u's that I modified, like in the op, but also with the mac address from the 56u and maybe that is why my USB works.

Thanks
Just a quick update. Managed to get the USB ports working with your suggested methods.

I believe the "how" is not allowed on this forum as I noticed some posts in this thread have been removed. Even the post here with instructions for overclocking have been removed. Looks like it isn't allowed.

Here's how I did it.
Thanks a lot for the description! You gave new life to my beloved AC56U...

I used the latest 386-series aimesh 2.0 firmware and it works perfectly fine in a mesh with an AX56U and AX82U.

I initially tried the mtd-write executable from the Bay area tech pros package (executable size 523,364), but it was silently failing on my (EU) router. Even so, I managed to flash the 386 firmware, and it worked fine, it was just showing AC56U everywhere and the aimesh options in the menu were unavailable. This was a weird experience and underscores how very little Asus would have to do to support this router with the latest firmware.
Once I switched to an mtd-write v2 package I found by googling "mtd-write v2" (executable size 733,422) I succeeded in turning on the aimesh features.

Instead of messing with the WPS button and the switch, I found that the command line incantation "mtd-erase2 nvram" followed by "reboot" was much more convenient.

I cannot express how grateful I was to find @Special’s guide. Followed all the steps, but when I rebooted the router (holding down the WPS button after waiting more than 10 seconds unplugged), the switch ports light up and the power light turns on and stays on. I cannot get anything to work (including rescue mode). I’ve tried leaving it unplugged for 10 minutes and restarting it with various combinations of the WPS, reset, and WIFI buttons held down for 10, 25, and 60 seconds. every time, I just get a solid blue power light. Does anyone have a clue what to do? We have a AX56 router and I was hoping to use this AC56 to extend the network to my husband’s workshop... now it may be heading to the electronics recycling bin!

The hard reset instructions to power on the router are the same as what i’ve done before (Holding down the WPS button while turning it on). I’ve tryed this again (holding the button for 6, 21, and 61 seconds with a 5 minute unplugged cool down in between). Still not a single received packet of data via Ethernet (although the gigabit link does come up), nothing via the firmware rescue tool... nothing but that damn blue power light, which turns on and stays steadily on no matter what button is pressed for how long.

Just looked at mine and the only light lit is the power light.
Make sure you are using LAN port 2,3,4 or the WAN port as LAN 1 is now the WAN.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!