What's new

AiMesh Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thunderclap

Occasional Visitor
OK, this is probably a stupid question. I’m picking up a second Asus router to create a mesh network in my house. I know that I need to install matching firmware, but I have installed NextDNS on my main router and I’m wondering if I need to install it on the secondary router too. Thanks.

OK, this is probably a stupid question. I’m picking up a second Asus router to create a mesh network in my house. I know that I need to install matching firmware, but I have installed NextDNS on my main router and I’m wondering if I need to install it on the secondary router too. Thanks.

The main router/root node manages the AiMesh. The remote node is more or less an unconfigurable AP that you reset and add to the AiMesh. So, I don't think you can install anything on the remote node.

OE

You don't need matching firmware. In fact, Merlin used to recommend that the main router run the Merlin firmware and put Asus stock FW on the AiMesh nodes (not sure if this is still the recommendation, though).

I would still suggest using matched firmware on main and node AiMesh setups. RMerlin had recommended that before he had fully supported AiMesh on his builds. In my experience, using matched router models (at least AC to AC and AX to AX) and firmware builds/levels gives a significantly more stable and maintenance-free network.

I would still suggest using matched firmware on main and node AiMesh setups. RMerlin had recommended that before he had fully supported AiMesh on his builds. In my experience, using matched router models (at least AC to AC and AX to AX) and firmware builds/levels gives a significantly more stable and maintenance-free network.

Has RMerlin changed his earlier recommendation of running Stock on nodes? I thought that since the nodes only use stock code, there was no reason to run Merlin on the nodes?

I can't speak for RMerlin of course, but my experience and reading the posts here suggest mixing firmware is not a good idea when a stable network is required.

Ax88u Router running Merlin 384.18 and 2 x AC68U nodes running current ASUS firmware (because that’s what’s recommended in the docs and I’m not experienced enough to argue) with hardwired backhaul. Rock solid so far.

AC86U running 384.19 with 2 AI Mesh nodes (AC-68U) running the same. Have been running matched firmware for at least a year with good success. Tend to run at least a couple of weeks behind the release curve to reduce troubleshooting :)

When I dusted off my old and trusty AC68U a few months ago to use it as an AiMesh node with the AC86U router, I installed the same Merlin version on the node that I was already using on the router and have kept their firmware in sync since and haven't had any issues with the mesh setup to date.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!