What's new

AiMesh - which second router? vs Competition?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

adambean

Regular Contributor
Hey all,

I have an AC66u (v1) and an AC5300. Both are broadcasting 2.4/5 all on the same SSID, and this ... has been problematic. Random times where if on one router, it won't talk to the other. Random unavailability of internet. Just oddness. I'm now running solely on my AC5300 and so far, seems to be more stable.

Anyway, I'd like a better setup either using AiMesh or one of the mesh competitors. I've played with eero (very feature-less), and Orbi (holy buggy/unstable!). Debating trying Google/Velop, but ... AiMesh seems like the best of both worlds to continue to use my AC5300.

Assuming AiMesh is the best bet in this scenario, will the AC68u suffice or should I jump up higher?

Thanks!

Asus Aimesh is nothing more then a clever way to get people to purchase more and more Asus routers. The system is buggy and will likely be so for quite some time.

Hey all,

I have an AC66u (v1) and an AC5300. Both are broadcasting 2.4/5 all on the same SSID, and this ... has been problematic. Random times where if on one router, it won't talk to the other. Random unavailability of internet. Just oddness. I'm now running solely on my AC5300 and so far, seems to be more stable.

Anyway, I'd like a better setup either using AiMesh or one of the mesh competitors. I've played with eero (very feature-less), and Orbi (holy buggy/unstable!). Debating trying Google/Velop, but ... AiMesh seems like the best of both worlds to continue to use my AC5300.

Assuming AiMesh is the best bet in this scenario, will the AC68u suffice or should I jump up higher?

Thanks!

AiMesh is a proprietary work-in-progress. It really makes no sense for ASUS to pursue this approach to a WiFi system if it is only going to leave their customers floundering. They seem to be all in... the hardware is there and always getting cheaper and better, so why not use it.

The AC68U works but does not support SmartConnect band selection/steering within that node, which is a desirable function in a WiFi system. Maybe the AC68U doesn't have the processing/memory resources for it. I think the AC86U is the next generation build up from the AC68U... at higher cost... and it does support SmartConnect. So, you might want to consider the AC86U your minimum node spec.

Without SmartConnect support system-wide, you may want to stick with unique SSIDs... a 2.4 SSID and a 5.0 SSID system-wide. And regardless of SmartConnect, with some wireless clients, you may want/need unique SSIDs... cheap/dumb clients are part of the problem for now.

I have two AC68Us in an AiMesh (no SmartConnect). I experimented with using identical SSIDs (wasn't terrible) and then switched to unique SSIDS and concluded:
o some wireless clients connect more quickly since I did the band steering for them;
o some wireless clients are better at connecting to the better of two unique SSIDs than they are at connecting to the better of two identical SSIDs;
o I spend less time assessing wireless client connections.

For me, a bigger concern is that guest networks do not currently propagate to the nodes, so not system-wide. This may matter if you want to isolate untrustworthy IoT clients located at your perimeter.

OE

Hey all,

Thanks!

I think configuring your AC66u as a repeater wirelessly using the same SSID as your AC5300 is the best option. Works much better for me. I am now using AC5300 with two AC68u configured as wireless repeater. Note. You cannot connect them wired as there is a bug that conflicts with your main router dhcp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You cannot connect them wired as there is a bug that conflicts with your main router dhcp.
I'll bet that you can, but you have to understand what DHCP is and that only one router on the network can have it turned on.

I think configuring your AC66u as a repeater wirelessly using the same SSID as your AC5300 is the best option. Works much better for me. I am now using AC5300 with two AC68u configured as wireless repeater. Note. You cannot connect them wired as there is a bug that conflicts with your main router dhcp.

Why a repeater vs an access point if I'm wired?

So, I think I'm gonna go for a ROG 5300, make that primary and my current 5300 an AP.

This will cost $330 and probably overkill. Would it be 'better' to spend that money on Velop or another mesh setup?

I'll bet that you can, but you have to understand what DHCP is and that only one router on the network can have it turned on.

Of course I know what a DHCP server is. What I am saying there is no option to turn it off or you would have assumed ASUS would have programmed it to be turned off when selecting the AP mode or Repeater mode because every nerd and his dog knows that the main router always almost has DHCP turned on to be able to assign IPs dynamically. Unless you manually assign the IPs. In this situation the repeater mode has its DHCP turned on.

So, I think I'm gonna go for a ROG 5300, make that primary and my current 5300 an AP.

This will cost $330 and probably overkill. Would it be 'better' to spend that money on Velop or another mesh setup?

If you are prepared to replace your entire current setup with a new mesh system. Then yes. If you are trying to add mesh to your existing network then it is not a good idea. Even for ASUS Lyra - it cannot be added to your ROG5300 as an aimesh node. I only managed to configure the Lyra as an AP and the two other Lyra (total 3 in a set) as aimesh node connected to the primary Lyra.

Why a repeater vs an access point if I'm wired?

It is almost the same. But I do think the AP can be connected wired. While the repeater is wireless connection.

But you will end up with multiple SSIDs as somehow the roaming tech is still not very good if you use the same SSID as your main router you may encounter connection/performance issues.

Of course I know what a DHCP server is. What I am saying there is no option to turn it off
I guess we are looking at different configuration pages--or maybe this option exists only in John's Fork? See first attached image.
Shot0001.png

or you would have assumed ASUS would have programmed it to be turned off when selecting the AP mode
See second attached image.
Shot0002.png

If you are prepared to replace your entire current setup with a new mesh system. Then yes. If you are trying to add mesh to your existing network then it is not a good idea. Even for ASUS Lyra - it cannot be added to your ROG5300 as an aimesh node. I only managed to configure the Lyra as an AP and the two other Lyra (total 3 in a set) as aimesh node connected to the primary Lyra.

So you're saying Lyra or something else, is a better investment than dual Ac5300's?

Lyra is more stable and complete mesh system, but from the hardware side AC5300 is better.

Thanks, but still not certain which direction to take. Doesn't seem like Lyra gets all that good of reviews. Orbi seems to be the leader but I've bought it twice and have been riddled with issues to the point I've sworn them off.

Would like to try Lyra and Velop. I guess what's the downside of AiMesh in comparison?

Thanks

Thanks, but still not certain which direction to take. Doesn't seem like Lyra gets all that good of reviews. Orbi seems to be the leader but I've bought it twice and have been riddled with issues to the point I've sworn them off.

Would like to try Lyra and Velop. I guess what's the downside of AiMesh in comparison?

Thanks

The real question is: “what are you looking for in your WiFi network?” Performance or stability?

Mesh WiFi is still in its infancy. Very much alpha stage not even beta. So if you want to be on the cutting edge and be ready to get your hands dirty in maintaining the system then go for it. If you want something cutting edge but stable - retire your rog ac5300 and get a set of Lyra - they work stubby more stable than the aimesh thingy using ASUS routers cobbled together but I don’t think performance is going to good. As my users complained slow internet speeds with Lyra.

I have Lyra from 3 weeks and for me is very stable and problem free, but as many review says when it comes to the speed of the backhaul connection Lyra is not that fast as other three band mesh systems. But for me more important is to have AiProtection and nice QOS witch Asus have an overall i'm satisfied.

When switch over to Repeater Mode there is no option which you would believe that DHCP is not functioning.

The description, at least in the firmware I am using, is on the "Administration" page the allows selecting "Repeater mode" or "Access Point mode"--not on the LAN page. Perhaps that explanation is missing from the OEM firmware.

The image you posted pertains to that unit's IP Address, not its DHCP function.

i have been using Access Point mode for about 9 moth , from 68U (WIFI router) 100 ft wire to 68U (WiFI Access Point mode ) to 66U (Media bridge) to Tivo mini

till resent update to AiMesh 88U Wifi router to 2X68U node (1 Wifi + 1 Wire ) to 66U (Media bridge) to Tivo mini

Thanks

You waited too long... the AC86Us are selling out everywhere! :)

OE