1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

AIProtection: Worth the Overhead?

Discussion in 'ASUSWRT - Official' started by AntonK, Aug 16, 2019.

1. AntonK

AntonK Senior Member

Hi,

Since April 18, 2019 I've had 19 Malicious Site Blocking hits. They all seem to have been a byproduct of normal Internet usage.

Is there a speed/performance overhead that would make such routine blocking (something I'd think my AV software would do anyways) not worth it? Or is AIProtection a zero-overhead service?

Thanks,
    Anton

2. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Very Senior Member

I don't notice any overhead using an 86U. What I do notice is that AiP seems to regularly log events for an initial period... and then it stops... nothing. Meanwhile, user activity continues as usual. So, I think AiP has issues.

OE

AndreiV and AntonK like this.
  3. AndreiV

AndreiV Very Senior Member

AiProtection is pretty much useless, something went wrong @ 18 months ago and since then it is pointless running it.

It used to record blocked events every day, then later it started this " go crazy for 3 days, then nothing at all ever after" .

Also found that sites were being picked up by antivirus apps and browser security but AiProtection failed to see them.
    Taking a list of URL's blocked by other apps/browser security and checking them at the Trend Micro site I found that all the malicious URL's were in the TrendMicro list but Trend Micro on the router was not seeing or stopping them .

Many of the "exploits " they say they blocked are very old and either already patched or don't relate to ASUS routers, so I turned AiProtection off.

Of the 20+ routers I look after @ half used AiProtection , the other half have never had it turned on and neither group has ever had any attacks, exploits or other issues.

Browsers can pick up bad sites, Quad9 DNS filters all known bad domains, common sense, a limited user account and a decent antivirus on Windows should be enough.

Val D., AntonK and Shah Saad like this.
  4. Natey2

Natey2 Occasional Visitor

I have AiProtection enabled on my RT-AC88U.
    90% of the hits logged are from my kid's iPhone, so that's a heads up I would not have if I had turned it off.
    Better to get partial/some info than none at all.

Sent using Tapatalk

dbareis and AntonK like this.
  5. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

Are the hits you are seeing spam related or actual threats

6. AntonK

AntonK Senior Member

Mostly ADSENSE-related stuff. A couple of kolbi.cz hits, which AI calls "malware accomplice".

7. dbareis

dbareis New Around Here

Security is not something you add after you find you needed it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

8. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Very Senior Member

Wouldn't that be even more foolish than not adding it before you needed it. :)

OE

9. Natey2

Natey2 Occasional Visitor

[​IMG]

Sent using Tapatalk