What's new

AIProtection: Worth the Overhead?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AntonK

Very Senior Member
Hi,

Since April 18, 2019 I've had 19 Malicious Site Blocking hits. They all seem to have been a byproduct of normal Internet usage.

Is there a speed/performance overhead that would make such routine blocking (something I'd think my AV software would do anyways) not worth it? Or is AIProtection a zero-overhead service?

Thanks,
Anton

Hi,

Since April 18, 2019 I've had 19 Malicious Site Blocking hits. They all seem to have been a byproduct of normal Internet usage.

Is there a speed/performance overhead that would make such routine blocking (something I'd think my AV software would do anyways) not worth it? Or is AIProtection a zero-overhead service?

Thanks,
Anton

I don't notice any overhead using an 86U. What I do notice is that AiP seems to regularly log events for an initial period... and then it stops... nothing. Meanwhile, user activity continues as usual. So, I think AiP has issues.

OE

AiProtection is pretty much useless, something went wrong @ 18 months ago and since then it is pointless running it.

It used to record blocked events every day, then later it started this " go crazy for 3 days, then nothing at all ever after" .

Also found that sites were being picked up by antivirus apps and browser security but AiProtection failed to see them.
Taking a list of URL's blocked by other apps/browser security and checking them at the Trend Micro site I found that all the malicious URL's were in the TrendMicro list but Trend Micro on the router was not seeing or stopping them .

Many of the "exploits " they say they blocked are very old and either already patched or don't relate to ASUS routers, so I turned AiProtection off.

Of the 20+ routers I look after @ half used AiProtection , the other half have never had it turned on and neither group has ever had any attacks, exploits or other issues.

Browsers can pick up bad sites, Quad9 DNS filters all known bad domains, common sense, a limited user account and a decent antivirus on Windows should be enough.

I have AiProtection enabled on my RT-AC88U.
90% of the hits logged are from my kid's iPhone, so that's a heads up I would not have if I had turned it off.
Better to get partial/some info than none at all.

Sent using Tapatalk

I have AiProtection enabled on my RT-AC88U.
90% of the hits logged are from my kid's iPhone, so that's a heads up I would not have if I had turned it off.
Better to get partial/some info than none at all.

Sent using Tapatalk
Are the hits you are seeing spam related or actual threats

Mostly ADSENSE-related stuff. A couple of kolbi.cz hits, which AI calls "malware accomplice".

Security is not something you add after you find you needed it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Security is not something you add after you find you needed it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Wouldn't that be even more foolish than not adding it before you needed it. :)

OE

7460cac251b555c77d659a3577f20982.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk