What's new

Allowing secondary subnet access to router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RouterTroubles

New Around Here
I don't understand enough of this to know if what I am doing is possible however I want my PC to be able to communicate with my SERVER.

Both the SERVER and PC are connected to RT-N12D1' with different subnets, the SERVER gateway however has a different WAN address then the PC gateway. I tried merging the subnets (IP Conflict), after not having success connecting an ethernet between the two gateways. That not working I went back to the cable solution incorporating the Static Route List to no avail.

Am I overlooking something simple here? Do I need a switch to do this? I have no sense of direction on this, been staring at it the last 27 hours watching CCNA videos, drawing diagrams, scratching my head,

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Attachments

• Router_Config.png
    Router_Config.png
    253.6 KB · Views: 122
As shown in your diagram, the "gateway" to the 192.168.1.0/24 network is NOT 192.168.0.1, but rather the WAN ip of the second router. Of course, being a WAN, it's likely firewall'd, preventing remote access from the 192.168.0.0/24 network. So you either have to drop the firewall on that WAN (or at least create a rule allowing that particular network in), or else enable port forwarding. If the second router is using OEM firmware, I suspect you may be forced to use the latter approach.

Would it help to change the address mask to 255.255.0.0, or is that just too easy to work?

The most obvious solution would seem to be to change the second router to "AP mode" and create one single subnet. I expect you won't want to do that because of the "L2TP VPN" in your diagram. Can you explain what this VPN is for?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!