What's new

[Alpha] 386.2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
VPN routing is not working somehow with the latest 386.2_alpha1-ga84fed8777 on AX86u (upgraded from 386.1_2)
- VPN: PIA, shows as connected, everything OK:
1615063094797.png

1615063146472.png

Nothing changed on VPN side, however the target system is now shows real IP address (local ISP), and not the PIA Server IP!
P.S. I have been using PIA with all previous Merlin FW with no issues, and I do periodically run checks like What Is My IP or DNS Leak.

What do I do? Is it a bug in FW or I need to adjust a setting?

Is it a bug in FW

Yes, it's a bug. This is still an early alpha build with a lot of things that are untested/work-in-progress.

In your specific case (policy routing), it's a bug in the iproute2 upgrade to 5.11.0 where it does not retrieve the table name list from the correct location.

Yes, it's a bug. This is still an early alpha build with a lot of things that are untested/work-in-progress.

In your specific case (policy routing), it's a bug in the iproute2 upgrade to 5.11.0 where it does not retrieve the table name list from the correct location.
Is it possible to symlik to that lacation in meanwhile?

VPN routing is not working somehow with the latest 386.2_alpha1-ga84fed8777 on AX86u (upgraded from 386.1_2)
- VPN: PIA, shows as connected, everything OK:
View attachment 31655
View attachment 31656

Nothing changed on VPN side, however the target system is now shows real IP address (local ISP), and not the PIA Server IP!
P.S. I have been using PIA with all previous Merlin FW with no issues, and I do periodically run checks like What Is My IP or DNS Leak.

What do I do? Is it a bug in FW or I need to adjust a setting?

It appears to be a bug in the firmware, others (including myself) also have issues with it..

It appears to be a bug in the firmware, others (including myself) also have issues with it..
RMerlin has confirmed it’s a bug and appears to have been working on it from the look of the commits on Git Hub

Thanks @RMerlin , looking forward for the fix. Meantime I will use PIA client on target PC, so not a problem (at least for me)

HI,
Haven't been around for some time.

I am running 384.15 on RT-AC86U

As of late, I am having to reboot my router every 4 or 5 days. Seems to be bogging down to the point that I can not even connect to Google.

I have just downloaded RT-AC86U_386.2_alpha1-ga84fed8777 and reading through the README-merlin.txt it is suggested that I factory reset first before upgrading the firmware if I am a minimum 3 versions behind. (which I suspect I am and hate to factory reset)

Just wondering If I should go straight to a ALPHA version or download 386.2?
I have always shy'd away from any ALPHA or BETA versions.

Is there any thing I should be aware of before I go ahead with the firmware upgrade?

Thanks in advanced

HI,

As of late, I am having to reboot my router every 4 or 5 days. Seems to be bogging down to the point that I can not even connect to Google.

I have just downloaded RT-AC86U_386.2_alpha1-ga84fed8777 and reading through the README-merlin.txt it is suggested that I factory reset first before upgrading the firmware if I am a minimum 3 versions behind. (which I suspect I am and hate to factory reset)

Is there any thing I should be aware of before I go ahead with the firmware upgrade?

Thanks in advanced

If you don't want to use Alpha or beta then download the latest release version 386.1.2. Also make sure you preform your factory default reset AFTER you flash the new firmware not before.

HI,

Thanks in advanced

If your router is mission critical or "has" to work, stay away from the Alpha and Beta stuff. If you don't mind running into possible issues and are willing to help Merlin is tracking down those issues and reporting, then the Alpha may be up your alley.

For myself, I got two university kids and a wife operating a business. Stability is important, so I follow the Alpha's and Beta's, but I don't use them.

For myself, I got two university kids and a wife operating a business. Stability is important, so I follow the Alpha's and Beta's, but I don't use them.

We skipped the last round of beta fw testing, due to similar reasons, but no issues on latest RMerlin alpha.

Last edited:
I have uploaded Alpha2 and iproute2 is working again.

octopus@RT-AX86U-EA08:/tmp/home/root# routes
Table 254
default via 158.xxx.xxx.1 dev eth0
Table 111
0.0.0.0/1 via 10.128.0.1 dev tun11
default via 10.128.0.1 dev tun11
128.0.0.0/1 via 10.128.0.1 dev tun11
Table 112
Table 113
0.0.0.0/1 via 10.129.0.1 dev tun13
default via 10.129.0.1 dev tun13
128.0.0.0/1 via 10.129.0.1 dev tun13
Table 114
Table 115
Seems there is DNS routing rules in routing table now:
Stripped version:
octopus@RT-AX86U-EA08:/tmp/home/root# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
213.80.98.2 gw14.A444.priv. 255.255.255.255 UGH 1 0 0 eth0
213.80.101.3 gw14.A444.priv. 255.255.255.255 UGH 1 0 0 eth0
Thank you to the new Alpha2

Last edited:
I have uploaded Alpha2 and iproute2 is working again.

Seems there is DNS routing rules in routing table now:
Stipped version:

Thank you to the new Alpha2
Is the policy rules routing in vpn client has been solved?

Morning

Uploaded 386.2_alpha2-g0b90696715 to both nodes and all is fine. Have not done factory reset though.
BTW - with alpha2 and with previous alpha1->newer alpha1 upgrade I did not see the issue with failed first update on the main router at all (perhaps it was enough to clear cookies once or it just disappeared naturally).

One feature of alpha2 is that half of my standard icons on the LAN clients is now blank, noticed there was a note in Asus release about change to icons, I guess that's a symptom of that.

OVPN policy rules working again on Alpha 2 AX88U.

Morning

Uploaded 386.2_alpha2-g0b90696715 to both nodes and all is fine. Have not done factory reset though.
BTW - with alpha2 and with previous alpha1->newer alpha1 upgrade I did not see the issue with failed first update on the main router at all (perhaps it was enough to clear cookies once or it just disappeared naturally).

One feature of alpha2 is that half of my standard icons on the LAN clients is now blank, noticed there was a note in Asus release about change to icons, I guess that's a symptom of that.
No blank LAN icons here and yes new icons in this firmware.

newicons.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.