What's new

[Alpha] 386.2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
he next step is just support routers that have Linux Kernel version 4.1.xx
There is no reason to do so, Asus still fully supports the RT-AC68U and these various SDK 7.14 models.

saw a new GPL merge on alpha 2. Does it apply to the AC86U units too??
Unless stated otherwise in the changelog, expect the GPL code to be the same for all models.

RT-AX56U, 386.2_alpha2, everything is ok.
Thanks RMerlin
My Configuration

Router - RT-AX88U - everything is ok
Node - RT-AX58U - everything is ok
Node - RT-AC1900U - everything is ok
Node - RT-AX56U - the FRONTHAUL INFORMATION in aimesh option not show the Transmit Rate Current / Receive Rate Current (is 0)

Last edited:
Probably. Any tips on how to investigate?
Double check your QoS bandwidth values (make sure you didn't swap down and up). Make sure your MTU is correctly set on the WAN page. And that you aren't using a VPN at the same time.

I was just kidding, I wanted to scare people who own one of those routers.
I'm sure they are well aware that their hardware may become legacy equipment at any forthcoming release...but there is plenty of life in it yet if Asus is still supporting it.

Alpha 2 runs great on my AX86U. Seems to be updated wifi-drivers in 42095, which is always nice. :)

The only thing I have noticed is during boot and the WAN. The leds turns white one by one (LAN/WAN/Wifi) and after a while they all turn black for a few seconds and then continues. So far all is normal, but in this last phase the WAN is red for longer than usual for me. It has (for years) always turned white within 0,5-2 seconds, but now it stays red for 10-40 seconds.

Seems there may be some WAN-issues with 42095 when I read another thread here for the AX88U:
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/new-rt-ax88u-firmware-3-0-0-4-386-42095.70845/post-670376

Last edited:
Double check your QoS bandwidth values (make sure you didn't swap down and up).
Looks like you're completely right! :oops: ...

swapped.png

Can't test it now, but will try later today when I can go offline for a short while.

EDIT 1: Swapped the limits; results are now 225/22.5 with Cake (vs 250/25 without Cake). Much better...

EDIT 2: And using the "Automatic setting" (so no manual 95% limits): 250/25 (which is what I pay for). I'll continue using this...

Last edited:
Per my previous post #387, where I reported a TEMPERATURE DROP:
I have found this to be in error due to the 2.4G band no longer broadcasting.
Yesterday was Windows Patch Tuesday. When I attempted to update an older HP laptop I found that I had NO 2.4G band broadcasting. Completely cut out. Not working meant that the Temperature went down.
I suspected a faulty nic card at first but it could see other nearby wifi networks.
I used the iphone, which had switched to the 5G band and discovered that the Primary 2.4G stopped and none of the GUEST Networks were working. ( 2x 2G on #2 and #3, 1x 5G on #2 )
Tried to rollback to previous build, re-flash same build, turn radio off then on, all failed. No 2.4G.

Rescue Mode had to be used to re-flash the Alpha2 build. Rebuilding from scratch was needed for the router.
I could reuse the the USB drive and just reload/update the scripts, so a full rebuild in this area was not needed.

Not sure what caused the radio to cut out. There was an AMTM update from 3.1.8 to 3.1.9 that was done manually after the initial A2 was done. The Rescue flash either preserved 3.1.9 or it's now included in A2, I can not determine.

Temperature is now back to 61c.

Built in CAKE is being used on manual.

The icons reloaded differently and I had to restore a custom ROKU icon (not done readding in this area) and re-select some of the ones that changed from the older style to the new style. This new A2 build now picks up the ROKU as ROKU ULTRA. so I assume ASUS updated its database in terms of adding newer devices.

Last edited:
Can someone please provide a mirror for alpha2?
Onedrive does not work on my side.

Last edited:
EDIT 2: And using the "Automatic setting" (so no manual 95% limits): 250/25 (which is what I pay for). I'll continue using this...
DSLReports buffer bloat tests are still very disappointing though:
  • Overall: C/D
  • BufferBloat: C/D
  • Quality: C/D
  • Speed: -

DSLReports buffer bloat tests are still very disappointing though:
  • Overall: C/D
  • BufferBloat: C/D
  • Quality: C/D
  • Speed: -
With it set to automatic I got similar results. I entered 59/29 into the bandwidth settings. My ISP sells me 60/30 and now I get A+ across the board. The rate should be something like 95% but I just tried this and it worked. I also use the ethernet/vlan drop down overhead setting. I have fibre to the home.

I prefer to not use auto"magic" either. Set it manually. There is no perfection to the percentages, but what we recommend are good suggestions.

Those percentages are a good starting point, but do experiment as the Cake developers have documented that they can get to within <1% of actual speed and I have good results setting mine to my actual speeds (not claimed or DSL sync speeds, but actual measured throughput).

Wow, difference is huge on AC86u:

* Cake QOS enabled: 20 Mbs down / 20 Mbp up
* Cake QOS disabled: 250 Mbs down / 25 Mbs up (which I what I pay for)

(I chose cable and entered 95% of 250/25 in the router settings)

After re-enabling QOS my router lost internet connectivity and I had to reboot.

Well... When I first enabled cake on my AX86U, I had the same speedtest results. Just miserable.
Then, I noticed that I had transposed the up/down numbers.
Switching them resulted in fine speeds.

Yeah, I'm silly like that sometime.

@RMerlin Please use Per-Host Isolation (nat dual-dsthost ingress / nat dual-srchost) option as the default:
- Incoming packets from the internet (internet-ingress): nat dual-dsthost ingress
- Outgoing packets to the internet (internet-egress): nat dual-srchost

Because you are using triple-isolate option by default and it is bad and does not work, it has been known for years in Openwrt:
- triple-isolate (bad default option)

The triple-isolate option is garbage, you just have to download a torrent (for example Ubuntu) and on two cell phones or computers at the same time, do speed test with only 1 Parallel connections at https://fast.com/ and observe how all the bandwidth is stolen by the computer that is downloading the torrent.

But when you use these Per-Host Isolation (nat dual-dsthost ingress / nat dual-srchost) options, it fixes and all devices now share the same bandwidth.

Per-Host Isolation (nat dual-dsthost ingress / nat dual-srchost) is one of the best features that SQM Cake has:
- Making cake sing and dance, on a tight rope without a safety net (aka advanced features)

Per-Host Isolation (nat dual-dsthost ingress / nat dual-srchost):
all hosts' traffic shares are equal, cake with Per-Host Isolation treats every traffic flow (or stream or connection) identically: a single Netflix stream to one internal computer gets the same bandwidth that many BitTorrent stream on another computer and fixes that the second machine with BitTorrent can get “more than its share” of the capacity.

Per-Host Isolation (nat dual-dsthost ingress / nat dual-srchost) is a business feature and in a few years in the future all companies will use this feature by default on all routers.
I pulled the cake manpage to verify what you're suggesting, and I've a question:
nat dual-dsthost makes sense for Download options, but if we're using besteffort, should we not also wash?
I would guess that cake ignores nat for native IPv6....

Regarding Cake, I have a DSL 100/30 connection.
However I use a VPN that which gives me speed of around 92/28..

Should I fill in 90% bandwidth from the ISP speed or the VPN speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.