What's new

[AMAZON]CISCO CBS350-48XT-4X-NA $5636.90.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Not a bad price for this category of switch - one thing that isn't mentioned is what is the longer term cost with the licenses and support.

It would be nice if it had redundant power supplies as this is also POE capable, and with that many ports, having only one power supply is a risk..

Not a bad price for this category of switch - one thing that isn't mentioned is what is the longer term cost with the licenses and support.

It would be nice if it had redundant power supplies as this is also POE capable, and with that many ports, having only one power supply is a risk..
It is a small business switch so there is no license. Cisco may have come up with a way to reduce the power for 10gig. I know lower power requirements for 10gig are coming down.

This switch would make a nice layer 3 switch. I am not sure the exact fit, but it will move some data.
Though when you get bigger protocol routing sure makes things better. The small business switches are limited on protocol routing. You have to buy enterprise level to have good protocol routing. Static routing is a pain, but it can be done.

Maybe somebody with a large amount of data and not a really big network. You have enough ports to create a bunch of LAGG ports. Four port LAGG with 4 port 10gig Intel NICs.

PS
No router is going to keep up with this layer 3 switch.

Last edited:
This switch would make a nice layer 3 switch. I am not sure the exact fit, but it will move some data.

A switch of this size would be a good fit for top-of-rack in the enterprise space...

Which is why I had the comment regarding the power supplies - normally in a full rack, you've two rails that are independently powered..

A switch of this size would be a good fit for top-of-rack in the enterprise space...

Which is why I had the comment regarding the power supplies - normally in a full rack, you've two rails that are independently powered..
I think enterprise is all using faster than 10gig nowadays for their cores. 10gig is moving out to the edge for big networks. It won't be long until you start seeing 10gig in homes and small businesses in their core. It will take over in the next 10 years.

Dual power supplies are in enterprise Cisco gear. I have not seen it in the small business networking gear. I bought a lot of dual power supplies but I have not seen it save anything. The electrical power in enterprise networks is very reliable with all the battery and generator backups. Same thing with Dell servers. I bought a lot of servers with dual power supplies but I have never seen it save a server. Now RAID that is a different story. RAID has saved me many times.

Last edited:
Dual/multiple power supply on whatever equipment is not used for power backup, but for power supply redundancy. Each one is designed to power the equipment on its own in case of power supply failure.

Dual/multiple power supply on whatever equipment is not used for power backup, but for power supply redundancy. Each one is designed to power the equipment on its own in case of power supply failure.

All the racks I used to manage had two PDU's, the A and B side, and they were on two different circuits - this is the benefit of redundant power supplies - rarely do the PSU's fail, but it's more likely a circuit can go down...

I think enterprise is all using faster than 10gig nowadays for their cores. 10gig is moving out to the edge for big networks. It won't be long until you start seeing 10gig in homes and small businesses in their core. It will take over in the next 10 years.

Depends on the use cases - I haven't seen Copper going above 10 gig yet...

Yes, we used different circuits for each power supply. At some point over the life of the dual power you can end up pulling more power than one power supply can provide because you add hardware. I have seen it. Budge cuts and you have to live with it.

Cisco dual power supplies were all 220v or 208v depending, and Dells were all 110v for me anyway.

Last edited:
That switch must have a huge backplane.

Yep, and it's 48 ports and non-blocking...

The SoC itself is a big part of the cost, and there's all the work to validate the switch that carries into that as NRE...

So, I looked it up. It can process 176 gig per second.
It also has 5 fans so it will not be quiet.