What's new

AMPDU

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lord_Vader

Regular Contributor
I have about 30 clients connected on 5 GHz, and 10+ on 2,4.

I've disabled AMPDU on the 5 GHz band were i would like a faster response, after reading some guides.

Any disadvantages to do the same on 2,4? I live in a environment with very little interference from other networks.

So it should be the other way around then..?

I can't even understand what I'm reading o_O in section 5.2.1; ACK Filtering
Nor does Frame_aggregation makes me any wiser.

If you can, please shed a light over this. Thanks.

I don't know which way it should be set for your network. I remember playing with this a very long time ago.

We don't need to understand the theory though. From a good/known state (i.e. a fully and properly reset router with a minimal and manual config, see the M&M Config in the link in my signature below), test the before, make a change and test the after. Keep good notes of the changes you made. Only keep the changes that work for your network and client devices.

The latest version of the guide above is listed below. I barely change defaults now. They seem to work optimally for my network, clients and the same for most of my customers too.

I decided to revert back to stock settings, as I always take screenshots when coming from a factory reset. I'll try it out and see how and if it differs in any way.

Stock settings (on both bands) are;

AMPDU enabled

Optimize AMPDU aggregation disabled

From the little I've used my clients right now, 5 GHz seems snappier! :eek:

Last edited:
Those controls are included to address client compatibility issues, not to optimize bandwidth. Older devices may not understand those parts of the frame and disconnect or ignore the transmission.

AMPDU is a aggregation method to fit more data into a transmit frame. Disabling it would lower throughput.

Those controls are included to address client compatibility issues, not to optimize bandwidth. Older devices may not understand those parts of the frame and disconnect or ignore the transmission.

AMPDU is a aggregation method to fit more data into a transmit frame. Disabling it would lower throughput.
Many thanks for clarifying in a straight forward way! :D Do you suggest to enable "Optimize AMPDU aggregation" as well?

AMPDU sounds a lot like Nagle's algorithm, and I can see how disabling it could improve latencies (but not enough as to make any difference).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!