What's new

Amplifi Alien

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Umm, no thanks, I'll stick with what works ( and gets support) .

And no , I could never bring myself to waste $2.07 million on "sparkling" drain cleaner :confused:

o_O How could you compare that to a rare single malt ( a real drink ) ???

What's your WAN speed? I want to know the WAN to wireless speed it could provide, is it able to serve 1Gbps

I bought an Amplifi HD before and my WAN is ATT Gigapower with 1Gbps speed.

It turns out the LAN speed is pretty good, 9xxMbps, but the WAN to wireless speed max out around 400Mbps.

According to Amplifi HD datasheet, the Wireless speed should be capable of 1300Mbps.

What's your WAN speed? I want to know the WAN to wireless speed it could provide, is it able to serve 1Gbps

I bought an Amplifi HD before and my WAN is ATT Gigapower with 1Gbps speed.

It turns out the LAN speed is pretty good, 9xxMbps, but the WAN to wireless speed max out around 400Mbps.

According to Amplifi HD datasheet, the Wireless speed should be capable of 1300Mbps.

I have 1gb down and 40Mb up. I will run a speed test on the lan when I get home, I dont remember off the top of my head. The top wireless speed should be more then that. When\If they enable DFS 160Mhz it can do more then 4.8Gbps (in theory). It says the current top speed is 4804 Mbps

I have 1gb down and 40Mb up. I will run a speed test on the lan when I get home, I dont remember off the top of my head. The top wireless speed should be more then that. When\If they enable DFS 160Mhz it can do more then 4.8Gbps (in theory). It says the current top speed is 4804 Mbps

The top speed 4804Mbps should be run on 802.11ax, which is not popular in the market. Do you have any device could support that?

For me, I am most interested what's the max wireless speed it could do with iPhone 11 (Wifi 6)

@jojomor1983, what do you do on your AX capable iPhone 11 that you need maximum wireless speeds?

There is nothing you can do. It is most likely a 2x2 with a limit of 1.2Gbps. With overhead, best case around 1Gbps real world (best guess).
IIRC the two stream # you quote is using 160 MHz bandwidth. My tests using 80 MHz B/W and 2 stream AX STA (Samsung S10e) show little to no 5 GHz throughput improvement with AX. The big gain is on 2.4 GHz, due to around 2X maximum link rate improvement, even with 20 MHz bandwidth.

I got my Alien and hooked it up, really happy with it so far. Seems to work great, and I didn't have to do any of the crazy backflips I did with the ASUS RT-AX88U to get stable connection in my bedroom.

On the Amplifi forums one of their support engineers stated they are discussing internally whether to enable DFS/160Mhz bands. It's possible from a hardware standpoint.
Good catch. Yeah that would be pretty big news to holding to the specs they claim.

On the Amplifi forums one of their support engineers stated they are discussing internally whether to enable DFS/160Mhz bands. It's possible from a hardware standpoint.

You beat me too it. I was part of that discussion. Yes the hardware does support it, but it's not enabled yet.

Hello Folks ,
I just ordered mine... then I read 'dongknows' and eeek!
From my point of view (only) I would have thought that this ~ high end~ router would, without doubt , have a dedicated backhaul channel. It is making me think twice about keeping it.
I am a Netgear user ( AC 3200 tri-band) with EX700 extender ( AC1900) and about 20 devices .

I was planning on switching out the Router and going with the Alien Router, then wait on Amplifi to come out with extenders ( vs. another Router)... yet to my chagrin not having this dedicated backhaul offer seems on day 1 brings me to 'why do it ?'

That said, any comments or observations ? Am I making too much out of this ? That is, will I get the same performance = to the AC3200 Netgear ?

Any comments are welcomed

thanks!

Hello Folks ,
I just ordered mine... then I read 'dongknows' and eeek!
From my point of view (only) I would have thought that this ~ high end~ router would, without doubt , have a dedicated backhaul channel. It is making me think twice about keeping it.
I am a Netgear user ( AC 3200 tri-band) with EX700 extender ( AC1900) and about 20 devices .

I was planning on switching out the Router and going with the Alien Router, then wait on Amplifi to come out with extenders ( vs. another Router)... yet to my chagrin not having this dedicated backhaul offer seems on day 1 brings me to 'why do it ?'

That said, any comments or observations ? Am I making too much out of this ? That is, will I get the same performance = to the AC3200 Netgear ?

Any comments are welcomed

thanks!

The engineering team is looking into making extender only units, they told me this 3 weeks ago. Dfs\160mhz is going to be enabled at some point soon hopefully. They are working on it. That will double the wifi speeds. One Alien can cover 10,000 sq feet in theory. It does double the range of last year's model the has two extenders.

I would use a wired backhaul if possible. There is a reason they could not do a dedicated one. The issue is some devices don't like tri mode routers. They put a WiFi 5 chip in there so if you have that issue (Nest devices have this issue, also I was told this from them) you can dedicate the wifi 5 5ghz to be optional stand alone. Also by putting a WiFi 5 chip they can make sure the Wifi 6 5ghz runs faster, since it would not have to run in wifi 5 mode. When a WiFi chipsets has to be able to allow anything to connect, you end up slowing the whole thing down. So the Alien forces wifi 5 to the wifi 5 radio and the same for wifi 6.

Backhaul info
https://help.amplifi.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006826048-How-to-Enable-Ethernet-Wired-Backhaul

The engineering team is looking into making extender only units, they told me this 3 weeks ago. Dfs\160mhz is going to be enabled at some point soon hopefully. They are working on it. That will double the wifi speeds. One Alien can cover 10,000 sq feet in theory. It does double the range of last year's model the has two extenders.

I would use a wired backhaul if possible. There is a reason they could not do a dedicated one. The issue is some devices don't like tri mode routers. They put a WiFi 5 chip in there so if you have that issue (Nest devices have this issue, also I was told this from them) you can dedicate the wifi 5 5ghz to be optional stand alone. Also by putting a WiFi 5 chip they can make sure the Wifi 6 5ghz runs faster, since it would not have to run in wifi 5 mode. When a WiFi chipsets has to be able to allow anything to connect, you end up slowing the whole thing down. So the Alien forces wifi 5 to the wifi 5 radio and the same for wifi 6.

Backhaul info
https://help.amplifi.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006826048-How-to-Enable-Ethernet-Wired-Backhaul
thank you, very helpful.
I have read all of your previous posts and recall the 10,000 sq.ft. - even if it is 1/2 of that it will be impressive ( to say the least).
So, let me ask your opinion. Out of the box do you think it will equal the performance of a AC3200 Netgear router? My goal is simple. I had the Netgear router now for some 3 years turned-on 7 x 24 x 365 , so its time for a new router ( I don't wait for things to break).
Equal in performance is desirable; better than, is icing on the cake.

( FYI too - I updated to a new Dell notebook , so 802.11ax is available and can be exercised)

And to hard wire the backhaul is not possible due to distance constraints.

Thank you again for your response and your kind help.

Frank

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!