What's new

Amplifi Alien

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

madhatter01

Regular Contributor
Well I made the jump to Amplifi Alien, my GT-AX11000 will be up for sale on eBay. Sucked giving up the 2.5gb port. The timely updates of Amplifi (Once a month) and OFDMA out of the box is awesome. I use Unifi all day at work and love their support. They actually have support in the US, lol. This is not the forum for it, but if anyone wants details, message me. I will say this, I walked out front of my house, crossed the street and walked 3 house down. SillS had full bars. Also the Qualcomm chipset is much more polished and feeling more like a finished product. Lastly there is a feature not listed, you have to access it through the router's website, not the App (which is how you setup 99% of everything). In there is a DNS Based Ad-Blocker, so for it kill all adds on all computer on the network. Just a nice touch. PM me if you would like to ask about it. I did get mine from them directly, I got it last friday, so I have had plenty of time to play with it. If anyone is interesting in my GT-AX11000 PM me. Lastlsy the antenna seems like a really good Thank you for all you help and If I helped anyone I wish you the best of luck.

RMerlin let me know what you think of the unit. You are the smartest person on this site, I would like your option. Thank you for your time. Also RMerlin, would you like me to do a mini review on it with pics?

Chipset
https://www.qualcomm.com/products/qualcomm-networking-pro-1200-platform

One quick note. The Asus GT-AX11000 is a wonderful router. I do not have any issues. I just wanted something different amd I have always wanted a Ubiquiti setup, since my switch are it and I use it at work,

amplifi-alien-crop.jpg

This thing is sexy looking! I take this sexy router any day over the upside down spider.

Last edited:
RMerlin let me know what you think of the unit. You are the smartest person on this site, I would like your option. Thank you for your time. Also RMerlin, would you like me to do a mini review on it with pics?

Thanks, but when it comes to wireless tech itself, Tim has much better technical know-how than I do.

Can't really judge the product based on what little is available. It all depends on the software stack in it. At least it's from an established company and not a startup, so there's little risk of seeing it abandoned after 12 months (unless it's a marketing flop).

How do you know OFDMA is working and what is "awesome" about it?

I apologize for not putting it in the general forum Tim.

I guess what I like about it is unlike other WiFi 6 router's, this one has most of the WiFi 6 features enabled out of the box. BSS coloring and WPA3 are the 2 missing that I know of. With BSS Coloring not being enabled until wave 2, but I was told it will be added in the future on this model. Wpa3 should be soon since the drivers are done on Qualcomm's end. The product build quality is great. The hardware specs are great for the price. I like Qualcomms 1200 pro better then Broadcom's offering. Since I use Ubiquiti at work, I see how reliable it is.

On OFDMA, the Datasheet lists it under Wifi Functions and its on the product page. I have an email in to confirm it and will let you know.

https://amplifi.com/docs/AmpliFi_Alien_Datasheet.pdf

RMerlin I just wanted your general thoughts on this Router, also I want love Tim's thoughts too. Both of you are excellent at what you do. I offered to do a mini review because there is no way I can do a review as good as Tim does.

RMerlin I just wanted your general thoughts on this Router, also I want love Tim's thoughts too.

Too little info to really judge it, but my first reaction is: too expensive. A two node mesh would cost you close to 800$.

I wish someone would bring an access point like that including the 4-port switch and possibility for POE+ powering to the market. Now THAT would make me happy.

Too little info to really judge it, but my first reaction is: too expensive. A two node mesh would cost you close to 800$.

I spoke to an engineer at Ubiquiti and using 2 of them as a mesh is a temporary solution (They just wanted it out for Christmas). They will have real mesh units that are way cheaper coming out soon. Plus one Alien router is better then the old unit with 2 mesh stations. On paper 10,000sq feet. I know that not real world.l

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191128-104252__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20191128-104252__01.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 686
10,000 sq feet really , im mean really even if they claimed 5,000 sq feet from a single tranmission point router i would have serious doubts

so sorry but im calling that advertising bs at this stage , ax is better over distance as i have seen with the asus rt-ax92u but thats only between the nodes and their wifi backhaul , i have an ax client and an ac client phone and i see very little difference between the connectivity or distance they work at

like all manufactures sprooking AX the claims and over statements will come thick and fast

i mean what the hell are super antennas anyway lol

and with a qualcomm chipset to boot

How do you know OFDMA is working and what is "awesome" about it?

I got a reply from them.

Presila P. (AmpliFi)

Nov 28, 17:16 PST

Hi Timothy,

Thanks for getting in touch with us!

Yes, OFDMA is enabled in the AmpliFi Alien router. But it depends on the client's capabilities too. You can refer to this article as well: https://amplifi.com/alien

Hope that's helpful. If you have any other questions, please let us know!

Thanks!

10,000 sq feet really , im mean really even if they claimed 5,000 sq feet from a single tranmission point router i would have serious doubts

so sorry but im calling that advertising bs at this stage , ax is better over distance as i have seen with the asus rt-ax92u but thats only between the nodes and their wifi backhaul , i have an ax client and an ac client phone and i see very little difference between the connectivity or distance they work at

like all manufactures sprooking AX the claims and over statements will come thick and fast

i mean what the hell are super antennas anyway lol

and with a qualcomm chipset to boot

With my Alienware m15 r2 that has a Intel Killer 1650 Ax card I get about 800Mbps down. With my 802.11ac card same distance 435Mbps down. I don't have a Ampilifi 802.11ac Router to test, but the Asus Gt-ax11000 get about 25% less coverage.

Am I understanding this correctly? Its saying it has 4804 Mbps dedicated to backhaul when linked with another one and 4804 Mbps decided to clients? That would make this much faster on paper than the new Orbis right?

No, thank you...
For the same price I can get about 10 of the products pictured below.
Similar design and constant performance even 10 houses down the road.

20191201_173235986_iOS.jpg

I think this is more appropriate , only £160.00 per bottle.

91z-Ir-DM9-Cs-L-SL1500.jpg

OFDMA ....... Only for discerning malt appreciators.

I think this is more appropriate

The firmware is too old on your suggestion...
Both products generate Alien results when used on full speed though.
The technology used is not OFDMA, but OMFG. Works every single time.

Yes, OFDMA is enabled in the AmpliFi Alien router. But it depends on the client's capabilities too.

so lets ask that question again , how do you know its so awesome , what clients do you have that can take advantage or even have the capability , i bet if you sat an ac router next to an ax router with OFDMA enabled and even mu-mimo enabled you would not notice any difference with a mixed client environment

I have 4 computers using a 802.11ax card and 1 phone. The one I can give you numbers off the top of my head is my laptop. With 802.11ac I got around 200-300Mbps down. With AX I get 700-800Mbps in the same spot. Also even with my old Asus Gt-Ax11000, I had my sons PC with AX dropped connections multiple times a day. I had to buy a ethernet over power adapter just to keep it stable (disabled wifi). I ripped that out and we have not had any disconnects since the Amplifi.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!