What's new

amtm amtm 4.5.1 - the Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu, April 28, 2024

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yep I have installed entware
In amtm if shtris is installed at the moment, reboot or remove it with g1r.
Then enter uu to force update amtm. Then install shtris again and it will remain installed after a reboot.

amtm 3.6 is now available

What's new

- Developers and tinkerers can now add the # amtm NoMD5check comment to the main third party script on the router to suppress the amtm update check for changes in the file. Add the exact comment near the top of the file.
A version change upstream will still trigger the update notification. Thanks to @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow for the idea.
- Fixes a coding error that suppressed the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware update check to run in amtm.
- Replaced the last remaining wget command with curl.
- Creating a swap file now shows the progress if Entware is installed - so that users don't get frustrated ;)

How to update amtm
Use u to update to this latest version.

Any ideas on why after updating to amtm 3.6, the amtm hangs doing "u" as it progresses down the listing? It hangs after j5 on the "ep manage Entware packages" item. There's definitely something amiss with the "ep manage" item b/c when I do ep , then 1 to check for updates, it hangs there too. Have I missed an update or is there something else happening? Thanks!

Update: 20230505 07:45AM EDT

Hmmm. I think this is all related to this thread and the entware site being blocked -> https://www.snbforums.com/threads/cant-update-install-entware-about-1-mounth.84812/

I ran the AMTM UU force earlier... but that does not allow me to update the </opt/etc/opkg.conf> file with the new temp mirror... mentioned in the above thread <mirrors.bfsu.edu.cn> . I too have CN blocked so that's why things are hanging on the "ep manage" line. AMTM cannot reach the mirror.

I ended up:

a) manually editing </opt/etc/opkg.conf> and replacing the "bin.entware.net" with "mirrors.bfsu.edu.cn/entware"
b) adding "mirrors.bfsu.edu.cn" to the whitelist for skynet via Diversion > el.

This current gotcha is probably going to cause much more grief so if there's an easier way to fix this for now, yell.
IDK that the entware packages were being housed / based in RU! That _is_ certainly giving me great pause - that's a topic for another thread. Thanks!

Last edited:
Any ideas on why after updating to amtm 3.6, the amtm hangs doing "u" as it progresses down the listing? It hangs after j5 on the "ep manage Entware packages" item. There's definitely something amiss with the "ep manage" item b/c when I do ep , then 1 to check for updates, it hangs there too. Have I missed an update or is there something else happening? Thanks!

Update: 20230505 07:45AM EDT

Hmmm. I think this is all related to this thread and the entware site being blocked -> https://www.snbforums.com/threads/cant-update-install-entware-about-1-mounth.84812/

I ran the AMTM UU force earlier... but that does not allow me to update the </opt/etc/opkg.conf> file with the new temp mirror... mentioned in the above thread <mirrors.bfsu.edu.cn> . I too have CN blocked so that's why things are hanging on the "ep manage" line. AMTM cannot reach the mirror.

I ended up:

a) manually editing </opt/etc/opkg.conf> and replacing the "bin.entware.net" with "mirrors.bfsu.edu.cn/entware"
b) adding "mirrors.bfsu.edu.cn" to the whitelist for skynet via Diversion > el.

This current gotcha is probably going to cause much more grief so if there's an easier way to fix this for now, yell.
IDK that the entware packages were being housed / based in RU! That _is_ certainly giving me great pause - that's a topic for another thread. Thanks!
Yes, I have all the same concerns (re: RU and CN), and participated a bit in the thread that you referenced. Despite the assurance from @thelonelycoder that "bin.entware.net" should be automatically added to the Skynet shared whitelist, what solved it for me was manually adding that domain to the Skynet whitelist. Seemed like the simplest solution, and it appears to have solved that long hang when checking for Entware updates.

Despite the assurance from @thelonelycoder that "bin.entware.net" should be automatically added to the Skynet shared whitelist, what solved it for me was manually adding that domain to the Skynet whitelist
That is IF Diversion is installed. amtm does not do that.

That is IF Diversion is installed. amtm does not do that.
Yes, but I do have Diversion (installed first), and Skynet (installed as second step), so I'm not sure what happened on my install for it to lose that whitelist entry. Skynet definitely did ADD that "bin.entware.net" domain entry (and corresponding IP) when I ran the "add domain to whitelist" command.

No worries, I'll chalk it up to the mysteries of the universe.

Yes, but I do have Diversion (installed first), and Skynet (installed as second step), so I'm not sure what happened on my install for it to lose that whitelist entry. Skynet definitely did ADD that "bin.entware.net" domain entry (and corresponding IP) when I ran the "add domain to whitelist" command.

No worries, I'll chalk it up to the mysteries of the universe.
Since the last commit by @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow Skynet takes forever when one refreshes the whitelist. Diversion does this every time the blocking file is updated or an entry is added to the whitelist.

I suspect there is actually something going on with the whitelisting process. The last change I made was actually a fix to a broken command.
The simplest solution for Diversion would be an explicit command like skynet refresh shared-whitelists.
It does not need to refresh all the other lists in that function. There are about 8 of them and they are the ones slowing down and timeouting in Diversion.

The simplest solution for Diversion would be an explicit command like skynet refresh shared-whitelists.
It does not need to refresh all the other lists in that function. There are about 8 of them and they are the ones slowing down and timeouting in Diversion.
So currently what command is ran with diversion when you refresh whitelists? from my understanding skynet also adds ipset entries with dnsmasq as well correct?

Looking at his code

What lines are causing the most intrinsic concerns with completing (the already slow) shared whitelist refresh?

@thelonelycoder one issue that could be of concern is these are parsing NVRAM variables. remember the NVRAM timeout issue.

So currently what command is ran with diversion when you refresh whitelists? from my understanding skynet also adds ipset entries with dnsmasq as well correct?

Looking at his code

What lines are causing the most intrinsic concerns with completing (the already slow) shared whitelist refresh?
Diversion runs /jffs/scripts/firewall whitelist refresh which runs this bit of a case statement: https://github.com/Adamm00/IPSet_AS...a3164948844fd2f7c520d45907d/firewall.sh#L3584

I wish there were a separate case for Whitelist_Shared: https://github.com/Adamm00/IPSet_ASUS/blob/384b0727c0e30a3164948844fd2f7c520d45907d/firewall.sh#L899

Diversion runs /jffs/scripts/firewall whitelist refresh which runs this bit of a case statement: https://github.com/Adamm00/IPSet_AS...a3164948844fd2f7c520d45907d/firewall.sh#L3584

I wish there were a separate case for Whitelist_Shared: https://github.com/Adamm00/IPSet_ASUS/blob/384b0727c0e30a3164948844fd2f7c520d45907d/firewall.sh#L899
I see all these NVRAM variable calls. On model routers that have nvram hang issues this could definitely be problematic. I actually have to head into work for now (from 4 to midnight Eastern time). I will look at this abit more when i get home and see if I can come up with more ways to help with the speed issue.

When testing with my code above, this operation barely takes a second on my AX88U:
/jffs/scripts/firewall whitelist refresh-shared-whitelists

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!