What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Entware (aarch64-k3.10) install successful
- Module entware.mod downloaded
entware-services symlink set for rc.unslung

Not sure about Ad blocking (Division) or similar at router level being unsure how they operate, I use blocking at the browser level (uBlock Origin etc.) are these more compatible with web sites in general?

Regarding Skynet, flying blind here is this preferable to using the default firewalls, Windows etc, still leave Windows FW on etc.? I don't have IPv6 functionality, only IPv4 so do we need IPv6 FW on if using Skynet?

Last edited:
installing Diversion, where to find this "pixelserv-tls" IP it asks for? not seeing it right off...

Code:
[i] Reserving one IP address for pixelserv-tls

[!] DO THIS NOW: Log into this routers WebUI

- Go to LAN > DHCP Server
- Adjust "IP Pool Starting Address" from the
   standard xxx.xxx.xxx.2 (typically 192.168.1.2)
   to xxx.xxx.xxx.3 (e.g 192.168.1.3)
   (xxx.2 would be the reserved address)
- Make sure the reserved address is not used
   by your other devices
- Then click "Apply"

You will need to enter the IP address next

[!] Press Enter to continue when ready

Enter pixelserv-tls IP Address:
is it referring to 192.168.1.2? check that, I got it now...

so all seems 5x5 now, pretty much installed everything but these:
  • Install Unbound (or DNSCrypt).
  • Install x3mRouting - Selective Routing (if required).

Last edited:
Unbound! :)

when installing,
Code:
=>  Please enter the number that designates your selection:, [1-9/q]: 1
 Info:  This operation will install dnscrypt-proxy and related files (<6MB)
 Info:  to jffs, no other data will be changed.
 Info:  Also some start scripts will be installed/modified as required.

=>  Do you want to install dnscrypt-proxy to /jffs? [y/n]: y
 Info:  Downloading manager
 Info:  Downloading dnscrypt-proxy-linux_arm64-2.0.45.tar.gz
linux-arm64/
linux-arm64/example-blocked-names.txt
linux-arm64/example-dnscrypt-proxy.toml
linux-arm64/dnscrypt-proxy
linux-arm64/example-blocked-ips.txt
linux-arm64/example-allowed-ips.txt
linux-arm64/example-captive-portals.txt
linux-arm64/localhost.pem
linux-arm64/example-cloaking-rules.txt
linux-arm64/example-forwarding-rules.txt
linux-arm64/LICENSE
linux-arm64/example-allowed-names.txt
 Info:  Downloading public-resolvers.md
 Info:  Downloading public-resolvers.md.minisig
 Info:  Downloading relays.md
 Info:  Downloading relays.md.minisig
 Info:  Configure dnsmasq.postconf file
 Info:  Creating init-start file
 Info:  Configure init-start file
 Info:  Configuring dnscrypt-proxy...
 =>  Do you want to redirect all DNS resolutions on your network through this proxy? [y/n]:
if answering y of course, how does this affect any VPN services?

Rule #1: don't install anything if you don't understand what it will do to the network.

Rule #1: don't install scripts just because they're 'there'.

Rule #1: don't install first and ask questions later.

:D :D :D

Rule #1: don't install anything if you don't understand what it will do to the network.

Rule #1: don't install scripts just because they're 'there'.

Rule #1: don't install first and ask questions later.

:D :D :D
good advice, thanks

I'll have to look at DNSCrypt further as well as Unbound, I have no idea on how these really work.

Last edited:
@L&LD hi, you mentioned as point 4 of the instructions:

4. Enable SSH to 'LAN Only'

I run Asuswrt on my 2x RT-AX86U in cable mesh, no USB drives nor any PCs plugged to LAN. In Administration - System - Enable SSH is No. Do I need to enable SSH the way you recommended? I don't have much info regarding SSH. Thanks.

If you continue with the guide to the 'Okay PuTTY!' steps, yes, you need to enable it. :)

I have a couple of questions:

1) Is there any advantage to using a large usb drive? I was under the impression that 32 GB was more than enough. Do you use as additional storage?

2) Does the usb to sd adapter matter? I have a sandisk max endurance 32 GB that I bought to replace my existing usb drive when 386.1 is released, which came with an "everything but the stromboni" adapter. Should I get another and use it elsewhere?

tia, jts

1) The reason to use a large USB drive (and then only use a small portion of that within amtm, via partitions) is so that the drive has spare nand to use as it wears out. I don't use it as additional storage on the router, but I have used it temporarily a few times to share/save some very small files (as I went from customer to customer during my day).

2) I would not use an SD card at all. No matter its capacity or specifications. Those are best used for the devices they were made for (cameras, phones, etc.). But I am sure the adaptor may matter, but only experience will give you that insight.

If you have a spare SSD laying around (128GB or larger), then a great idea (and the recommended 'best practice' here) is to use an external USB enclosure like a UGreen product with a quality USB cable attached to the router to take the quality of the USB drive's nand (and the unusual use of an SD card) out of the equation. An SSD (controller and nand) is infinitely more robust than a USB drive or SD card can ever hope to be.

Now I gotcha. Only one cow but a big pasture to graze.

I thought you guys were talking about an SD card so that's why I bought it, but I must have mixed that up with something else, or someone was using one.
I don't have a SSD, but I may get one if it is best. I'm in for the long haul.

edit: Heck, I can buy a 128GB Kingston for 20 bucks. I paid more than that for the 32GB SD I think. I'm putting one in the cart with a ugreen enclosure.
thanks again,
jts

Last edited:
Exactly. Then partition it to something slightly smaller than that; if you get any bad blocks the drive can replace them with ones in the unpartitioned space. :)

Assuming that 3D nand is the good stuff, I have settled on a PNY 256 GB SSD with a Ugreen box.
Those have came down quite a bit, less than $40 for the whole kit and kaboodle.

I'll have to refresh myself with L&LD's guide including dismounting and reformatting the swap file/ jffs and upgrade to 386.1. Don't seem far out now.

The prices are such that USB drives/keys are not worth buying anymore.

I also like you get the kaboodle too with the kit! :)

Should I check the box to "format the jffs partition on next reboot" when selecting "enable jffs custom scripts and configs" on the router system page, or does amtm handle this when partitioning?
I'm rehearsing for installing my new 240 GB SSD soon-go-be USB drive on my router.
Will much be lost downgrading to a USB 2.0 interface from the 3.0? Is the interference significant with the 2.4 Ghz network?
thanks.

If you're going to a new drive, go ahead and format /jffs since you're essentially doing a clean install of all the scripts. Just make sure you have a backup of any custom settings, or VPN configurations, etc.

My drive is plugged into the USB2 port and performance is fine. But I also have a USB-powered fan plugged into the USB3 port, with the router sitting on the fan. So... YMMV. :)

If you're going to a new drive, go ahead and format /jffs since you're essentially doing a clean install of all the scripts. Just make sure you have a backup of any custom settings, or VPN configurations, etc.

My drive is plugged into the USB2 port and performance is fine. But I also have a USB-powered fan plugged into the USB3 port, with the router sitting on the fan. So... YMMV. :)
What kind of fan? I need something like that for my AC68U in the attic. It gets hot up there.

Yeah I just have mine set to "medium" and it runs all the time. It's six feet away from me on the desk and I don't hear it at all.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!