What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@L&LD,
Thanks

Hope to have some time on the weekend, if not It will be a late night after the wife and kid go to bed. :(

Another option is to use the command
Code:
free

and you will see this:

Code:
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:        255684     223284      32400          0      23180      53172
-/+ buffers/cache:     146932     108752
Swap:      2097148        604    2096544

Cool! Mine looks like this, is this okay?

Code:
Mem:        440420     372200      68220        972      45392      35920
-/+ buffers/cache:     290888     149532
Swap:      2097148       2684    2094464

Cool! Mine looks like this, is this okay?

Code:
Mem:        440420     372200      68220        972      45392      35920
-/+ buffers/cache:     290888     149532
Swap:      2097148       2684    2094464

Looks good.

Reactions: EeK
Hey guys, thanks so much for the work in this thread!
I am about to go through the guide. With the USB port, does it matter which port I use. I want to keep one for a 4g USB modem. And is there a recommended size of the usb stick.

I am about to go through the guide. With the USB port, does it matter which port I use. I want to keep one for a 4g USB modem. And is there a recommended size of the usb stick.

Chuckle, déjà vu!
I use a 64gb stick, I ‘think’ a 16gb would do?
(Welcome to the forum).

Which router do you have? (I’m not sure, but it might make a difference to the port you are advised to use.) And while you’re at it, which firmware version - just for completeness?

And as Treadler said, welcome.

Chuckle, déjà vu!
(Welcome to the forum).
lol thanks. I had a 32gb so I used that but the swap file is only 2gb

Which router do you have? (I’m not sure, but it might make a difference to the port you are advised to use.) And while you’re at it, which firmware version - just for completeness?

And as Treadler said, welcome.
Thanks!
have the 384.13 on an A86U. Have plugged the usb into the 3.0 port but the mode is set to usb 2.0

lol thanks. I had a 32gb so I used that but the swap file is only 2gb

Thanks!
have the 384.13 on an A86U. Have plugged the usb into the 3.0 port but the mode is set to usb 2.0
I know your router is an AC86U, but this topic

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac68u-usb-3-0-wifi-interference-setting.47370/

(and similar ones if you need to search further) may be of interest. I’d say just go ahead and experiment, and if you don’t have any problems, leave well alone. If, however, you do run into problems, just bear in mind that possibly radio interference from the USB port might be the cause and would be worth looking into.

But certainly just try try it first and see how you get on.

I know your router is an AC86U, but this topic

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac68u-usb-3-0-wifi-interference-setting.47370/

(and similar ones if you need to search further) may be of interest. I’d say just go ahead and experiment, and if you don’t have any problems, leave well alone. If, however, you do run into problems, just bear in mind that possibly radio interference from the USB port might be the cause and would be worth looking into.

But certainly just try try it first and see how you get on.
Thanks for that. I have it set to usb 2.0 mode for now but I'll keep an eye on it anyway.

On a different note, I noticed that after the installation of everything from post 1, my adaptive qos has lost its setting from Media Streaming to nothing is selected now. Is this part of the process or can I re-enable Media Streaming as my preferred Qos Method.

Thanks for that. I have it set to usb 2.0 mode for now but I'll keep an eye on it anyway.

On a different note, I noticed that after the installation of everything from post 1, my adaptive qos has lost its setting from Media Streaming to nothing is selected now. Is this part of the process or can I re-enable Media Streaming as my preferred Qos Method.
Sorry: I don’t know. I don’t use QoS. However, give it a day or so and if you don’t get an answer, you might be better off starting a new thread. In the meantime you could try searching the forum to see if the question’s been asked before. (If you use the forum’s own search tool you get chronological answers, so I tend to search using google as well as the forum’s own search box. Generally, between the 2 (and the right search terms and a bit of luck) I get the answer.)

Chuckle, déjà vu!
(Welcome to the forum).
If you search thru discussions, several people (including me) recommend using a small SATA SSD coupled with a UGREEN SATA -> USB case. These setups proven ultra reliable. FWIW, most economical USB keys being sold, especially no-names, are made from low-quality NAND. Peace. Later.

With regards to this installation, I am interested to know is it robust enough for me to install it for friends who are not tech savvy. As in install and forget it or does it need regular management.

With regards to this installation, I am interested to know is it robust enough for me to install it for friends who are not tech savvy. As in install and forget it or does it need regular management.
I presume you would be using AMTM as the terminal menu for scripts, and the 3 you have in mind are Skynet, Diversion and Pixelserv-tls (to go hand in hand with Diversion).

I think I’m right in saying that Diversion and Skynet automatically update their blocklists but updating of those programs (and AMTM itself) is done manually. So it’s not install and forget. I suppose it could be but you’d run the risk that eventually something would be so far out of date that problems might result. So it depends what you mean by regular management. After all, the firmware isn’t install and forget, well, not unless you’re looking to have your router hacked some time in the future.

L&LD,

:)Just want to say thank you for your excellent step-by-step install guide ... also thanks to the various authors for their work. I have successfully formatted USB in ext4 format, installed AMTM, Diversion with Entware, Skynet with Swap file. I am a MacBookPro User, I did not install Putty as I found the macOS build-in Terminal with SSH seems to do the job.

With that ... I said bye bye to AiProtection, as it does not seem to be doing anything for the last many months on my Home Network :)

Thank You all!

I followed this guide and everything worked well except Skynet. It appeared to be "pre-installed" with amtm, which is fine saved me the trouble however its broken. Times out after trying to find the USB device 10 times and says "problem with USB install location". I didn't install it so I don't know whats broken. It tells you what to do after you "fix" it but I have no idea how to fix it. I searched the forums and the answer is to "uninstall Skynet and reinstall" Problem is I cannot get into the Skynet UI to "uninstall" it. Unfortunately amtm interface does not have an uninstall option for Skynet either (maybe that should be added?). It just comes pre installed and if it doesn't work doesn't give the new user any options to remove and reinstall to fix it.

Also a link to which routers are MIPS routers would be helpful. When I got to that point I had no idea if my router was a MIPS router and there is no information on how to determine if it is or not.

I followed this guide and everything worked well except Skynet. It appeared to be "pre-installed" with amtm, which is fine saved me the trouble however its broken. Times out after trying to find the USB device 10 times and says "problem with USB install location". I didn't install it so I don't know whats broken. It tells you what to do after you "fix" it but I have no idea how to fix it. I searched the forums and the answer is to "uninstall Skynet and reinstall" Problem is I cannot get into the Skynet UI to "uninstall" it. Unfortunately amtm interface does not have an uninstall option for Skynet either (maybe that should be added?). It just comes pre installed and if it doesn't work doesn't give the new user any options to remove and reinstall to fix it.
Try to install SkyNet manually in case you have a partial installation.
Code:
/usr/sbin/curl -s "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Adamm00/IPSet_ASUS/master/firewall.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/firewall" && chmod 755 /jffs/scripts/firewall && sh /jffs/scripts/firewall install
The error means it couldn’t find the prescribed SkyNet location or it wasn’t writeable. On my router, it’s /tmp/mnt/apps/skynet because my USB drive is labeled apps. Yours may differ and you can see what SkyNet is expecting it to be by looking at the content of /jffs/scripts/firewall-start script.

So I would first check your USB drive is mounted (df command). Post some output if it doesn’t work.

Try to install SkyNet manually in case you have a partial installation.
Code:
/usr/sbin/curl -s "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Adamm00/IPSet_ASUS/master/firewall.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/firewall" && chmod 755 /jffs/scripts/firewall && sh /jffs/scripts/firewall install
The error means it couldn’t find the prescribed SkyNet location or it wasn’t writeable. On my router, it’s /tmp/mnt/apps/skynet because my USB drive is labeled apps. Yours may differ and you can see what SkyNet is expecting it to be by looking at the content of /jffs/scripts/firewall-start script.

So I would first check your USB drive is mounted (df command). Post some output if it doesn’t work.

The USB device is working correctly for Diversion and other scripts so I can only assume it's working correctly at all.

In the end running that code to (re)install it manually worked, thanks. Maybe Skynet should just be another option to install in amtm instead of being pre-installed. Just a thought.

Last edited:
The USB device is working correctly for Diversion and other scripts so I can only assume it's working correctly at all.

In the end running that code to (re)install it manually worked, thanks. Maybe Skynet should just be another option to install in amtm instead of being pre-installed. Just a thought.

Skynet does not get pre-installed by amtm or any other method. :)

Skynet does not get pre-installed by amtm or any other method. :)
I guess it gave me that impression because instead of saying "install Skynet" it said "Open Skynet" without an install option where as with Diversion it said "install Diversion". So it implied it was already installed, and when I launched it it tried to run and gave me that USB failure. I didn't get a bad command from the terminal like one would get if something didn't exist. This was using a brand new formatted and fresh set up USB stick that had never been in the router, and I had run the "format jffs" option in the router firmware and then updated the firmware. Seems unlikely it would still be installed on the router after that, especially given that Diversion was also previously installed in the same jffs partition and it was wiped.

So you see my confusion.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!