What's new

amtm amtm - the Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Last edited:
That option is already in the firmware why add it to amtm?
... epecially since you can already enable notification (within 48 hours) of new Merlin firmware within Diversion!

... epecially since you can already enable notification (within 48 hours) of new Merlin firmware within Diversion!
And where, pray tell, would that option in Diversion be?

What I had to do this week too. Would be neat to have a AMTM utility that copied the AMTM product data from the operational USB flash drive to another USB flash drive plugged into the second Router port, and the copy became the opertional drive.
Noted.

I had some disk errors on a USB on one of the routers I support this past weekend and used the amtm disk format utility to reformat and label the disk. But the label name I selected "ASUS" didn't stick. The label name was named "/dev/sda1". I used @Zonkd instructions to successfully change the label name. I didn't have the issues described above. Probably because the USB was the same manufacturer/model.
Noted.

I don't see that in Diversion Lite. Are you looking at Diversion Standard?
That option is available in c, 4. Firmware update notification. Irrespective of the installed Diversion Edition.

View attachment 24515

Option 7 is displayed on the x3mMenu if there is an update available. In this case, there is no version change. I pushed a minor fix to the conversion function yesterday and another one a moment ago. In this case, amtm will not detect a new version since the version number didn't change. But x3mMenu checks for version number and md5sum. Since the md5sum is different on GitHub than the local router, option 7 gets displayed. Otherwise, the option will not appear.
If you would change the date (or add a space somewhere) in the main file x3mRouting_Menu.sh then amtm could pick up the change whenever you update one of the sub files. This is what I do in Diversion or amtm for minor updates.

Ended up just doing as suggested, format via reouter gui. Then format the usb again, and then installing from scratch. I would be nice to have an option in AMTM to verify that the links are linked to the correct installation and that it exists. So that you dont have to format it all just to get it working with a new disk. Thanks for the help
The option in amtm is to open the third party script. Diversion does an auto-check for correctness of the /jffs/ files. I'm not sure of the others.
But don't expect amtm itself to know every file or setting that third party scripts set or need for them to function. This would be an unmaintainable feature.
Remember: amtm is a front end for third party scripts, it detects these scripts but DOES NOT run any code for them when you open or install a third party script through it.

Thanks, I didn't realize that was there... still, I'd rather have an indication when I check amtm for updates - rather then an email.
Noted.

Maybe this is a WAD or maybe it is a small buglet. Not sure it's AMTM or each script AMTM helps support.

Sequence. On TH, intenet dies late night (00:00). Around 4:00 AM, I notice my cameras are offline and that means internet down or router down. So I login (RT-AC86U) and sure enough, no WAN connection, so I reboot the router just to be sure. Check on reboot/up--> Nope internet is down so I hit the basement and check the modem - yeap - no modem lock. Widespread outage - cable damage somewhere.

Time line
00:00 Intenet Downed
04:00 Noticed cams out, rebooted router, rechecked no internet connection. Checked modem, no lock.
09:15 Internet service restored with modem locked. DNS and web working.
10:00 Logged in to check/verify RT-AC86U -> I found no AddOns tab and no LAN/UiDivStats in the GUI. So it appears at some point these services time out maybe? IDK, asking. Now I wonder what else timed out.. was Diversion or Skynet up? IDK???
10:10 Rebooted router - AddOns + LAN/UiDivStats now show up. Back to "normal"

So did that long outage duration hang up all the processes starting: Skynet, Diversion, + other AMTM tooling and why once the router did find the connection didn't they start properly?

This may be a corner case of the internet being down for many hours and the router being rebooted which is normally the first thing I do rather than running to the basement to check the modem LEDs. But what if I'd not been home and days had passed without me "checking the RT-AC86U" since we are leveraging Diversion and Skynet was the FW completely offline... what happens in this case? I should have been more diligent and captured more info about what was actually running but I needed to make sure all back online ASAP to join meetings at work. Just a bit paranoid.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited:
Maybe this is a WAD or maybe it is a small buglet. Not sure it's AMTM or each script AMTM helps support.

Sequence. On TH, intenet dies late night (00:00). Around 4:00 AM, I notice my cameras are offline and that means internet down or router down. So I login (RT-AC86U) and sure enough, no WAN connection, so I reboot the router just to be sure. Check on reboot/up--> Nope internet is down so I hit the basement and check the modem - yeap - no modem lock. Widespread outage - cable damage somewhere.

Time line
00:00 Intenet Downed
04:00 Noticed cams out, rebooted router, rechecked no internet connection. Checked modem, no lock.
09:15 Internet service restored with modem locked. DNS and web working.
10:00 Logged in to check/verify RT-AC86U -> I found no AddOns tab and no LAN/UiDivStats in the GUI. So it appears at some point these services time out maybe? IDK, asking. Now I wonder what else timed out.. was Diversion or Skynet up? IDK???
10:10 Rebooted router - AddOns + LAN/UiDivStats now show up. Back to "normal"

So did that long outage duration hang up all the processes starting: Skynet, Diversion, + other AMTM tooling and why once the router did find the connection didn't they start properly?

This may be a corner case of the internet being down for many hours and the router being rebooted which is normally the first thing I do rather than running to the basement to check the modem LEDs. But what if I'd not been home and days had passed without me "checking the RT-AC86U" since we are leveraging Diversion and Skynet was the FW completely offline... what happens in this case? I should have been more diligent and captured more info about what was actually running but I needed to make sure all back online ASAP to join meetings at work. Just a bit paranoid.

Thoughts? Thanks!
While rebooting the router, the local NTP server needs to sync the current time info from an external NTP server. The router itself has no way of storing the time, there's no battery that keeps it.

The failure of NTP to sync affects multiple scripts, first of all the disk check in amtm. Then Skynet and uiDivStats will fail because NTP still has not synced. Diversion may load but others may just give up.
Which is exactly what you encountered.
Nothing went wrong on your router or amtm or any other scripts, they just do what they're designed to do.

The failure of NTP to sync affects multiple scripts, first of all the disk check in amtm. Then Skynet and uiDivStats will fail because NTP still has not synced.

I've been thinking of hacking this together, as the delay of acquiring time-sync drives me nuts. "Raspberry Pi Buster – GPS Dongle as a time source" - talking to, or even taking the place of an RTC module... saw it on a ham radio video...

https://photobyte.org/raspberry-pi-stretch-gps-dongle-as-a-time-source-with-chrony-timedatectl/

I was wondering if, when a lower numbered stratum device becomes available over the network, would it take pref over the gps dongle?...maybe there's a better way...

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!