What's new

amtm amtm - the Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

use the following command:
ssh [Login Name]@router.asus.com -p [Port Number]

Thank you! It's so easy when you have the right tools (or the right commands). :)

Thank you! It's so easy when you have the right tools (or the right commands). :)
now you can create a batch file called asus.bat and copy it in the Windows/System32 folder with the following command:
@echo off
ssh [Login Name]@router.asus.com -p [Port Number]

next time all you have to do is start Windows Terminal and type asus - enter your password and your in.

No need for batch file. Create shortcut of ssh -> right click on the shortcut-> properties-> add to the end of the 'target' line: router_userName@ip_address -p SSh_port

Target: C:\Windows\System32\OpenSSH\ssh.exe router_userName@ip_address -p SSh_port

Once you open it, only need to enter password . You can also pin it to taskbar

You can also create a shortcut to ssh.exe (C:\Windows\System32\OpenSSH\ssh.exe) and add in properties -> Target-> add to the end of the line [Login Name]@router.asus.com -p [Port Number]

Once you open it, only need to enter password
This is what I do:
upload_2019-6-24_21-19-45.png

No need for batch file. Create shortcut of ssh -> right click on the shortcut-> properties-> add to the end of the 'target' line: router_userName@ip_address -p SSh_port

Target: C:\Windows\System32\OpenSSH\ssh.exe router_userName@ip_address -p SSh_port

But this doesn't give you the Windows Terminal features.

MS also just released Windows Terminal (Preview) in the Microsoft App Store. Works great and looks nice:
View attachment 18392
Early days, perhaps, but could you see it replacing Putty (or XShell6) on your Windows devices? I know XShell6 is a favourite (over Putty) for many here who regularly use an SSH terminal, so there’s clearly more to it than “they’re all just terminals”.

Thank you @Mutzli, @Jack Yaz, and @Delusion. :)

I'm okay with Windows, but Linux is far more daunting to me (mostly because I'm using it to access the non-GUI parts of the router which is kinda crucial to my network!). :)

Early days, perhaps, but could you see it replacing Putty (or XShell6) on your Windows devices? I know XShell6 is a favourite (over Putty) for many here who regularly use an SSH terminal, so there’s clearly more to it than “they’re all just terminals”.
Honestly not at this stage, IMHO Xshell6 is still the best. But for someone that only needs an SSH terminal to get into an Asus router occasionally its perfectly fine and it does the job.

I use putty in my version of linux for ease of gui. I use mx Linux. That isn't my issue. The issue is how the terminal box for router handles the log in when i enter the curl command to install amtm. I had used this for previous versions prior to 2.5 with no problems. I am not sure what the combo of 2.5 & 284.12 has brought me. after entering the command
curl -Os https://raw.githubusercontent.com/decoderman/amtm/master/amtm && sh amtm
it seems to install properly until the last string which says sh cant open amtm. The putty interface opens up router terminal box where i imput ssid & password, then giving me root of router. maybe this is related to ssl ?

Last edited:

Password? What is this heresy??? :D Passwords should only be used until you've set up SSH keys.

Password logins are disabled for all of my systems that accept SSH connections, they all require SSH keys. It's not that hard to set up.

Password? What is this heresy??? :D Passwords should only be used until you've set up SSH keys.

Password logins are disabled for all of my systems that accept SSH connections, they all require SSH keys. It's not that hard to set up.

Keys? What is this crazy new fangled thing now! :D

Keys get lost, passwords, I'm pretty good with. :)

here are my screen shots from my ssh terminal link to router

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-06-24_15-07-21.png
    Screenshot_2019-06-24_15-07-21.png
    302.2 KB · Views: 561
  • Screenshot_2019-06-24_15-13-26.png
    Screenshot_2019-06-24_15-13-26.png
    406.3 KB · Views: 504
here are my screen shots from my ssh terminal link to router

Those are not readable here. Try using a Windows snip, not the whole screen. :)

I am running mx linux not windows!

I'm very happy for you. :)

But, you still understand what a windows snip is, correct?

Zooming in doesn't make it more readable. Just fuzzier. :rolleyes:

you just need to zoom in the png to see lines of code i entered in my ssh terminal for router.
So you tried to install Entware using the built in script from Merlin but it didn’t like your USB device.

Try running the amtm install commands in 2 steps
Code:
cd
/usr/sbin/curl -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/decoderman/amtm/master/amtm
Edit: removed the s flag from curl.

Then run
Code:
sh amtm
For your usb disk, paste us the output of df command and “cat /proc/partitions” or mount command.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!