What's new

ANNOUNCEMENT: Asuswrt-Merlin support underway for 3 Wifi 7 routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Folks, this isn't the thread to discuss pricing. If you have a problem with procing, complain to Asus, not to this thread.

What if ASUS would send us some test routers - if only on loan ;)
That would help tremendously.
I mean I have about eight of them, bought with my own money.
Have you considered crowd sourcing to buy those BE routers? I wouldn't mind sending a few bucks to make sure your great add-ons are working on these routers.

I've been working on updating my build script, so I figured it might as well upload the generated archives:

Keep in mind these are development snapshots, and I haven't been able to test every possible scenarios yet relative to the use of VPN and SDN. I cannot guarantee that these will be fully working for a live/production setup, so you do so at your own risks, and no support will be provided for these test builds.

Adaptive QoS is known to not be working,, and it will remain so as the issue lies upstream (so this also affects the original firmware).

I've been working on updating my build script, so I figured it might as well upload the generated archives:

Keep in mind these are development snapshots, and I haven't been able to test every possible scenarios yet relative to the use of VPN and SDN. I cannot guarantee that these will be fully working for a live/production setup, so you do so at your own risks, and no support will be provided for these test builds.

Adaptive QoS is known to not be working,, and it will remain so as the issue lies upstream (so this also affects the original firmware).

Flashed on BE98 Pro, so far so good, VPN WG and Ovpn clients works better on this alpha than on the latest stock firmware.

Had to reconfigure again both profiles.

Will keep informing

Considering Asus cost for some of these routers (not price) and the “stickyness” and brand loyalty some of you developers (and of course @RMerlin ) provide - I would think it a no brainer.
Need to find the Product Manager for some of these new ones. And pitch the case!
Have you even dealt with a Taiwanese PM? They're generally useless at their jobs, at least in my experience of having worked with quite a few during my 14+ years on the island working various jobs in tech. What you need is some mid to high level director to take an interest or someone higher up in the marketing department. Sadly, all the people I used to know at Asus have left the company a long time ago.

I’ve been going through Linkedin looking for anyone close to being a PLM or partnerships manager.
I just sent a message to an Asus Manager of PR and Partnerships at ASUS North America. Maybe he will respond, maybe not….
I’ll keep poking around Linkedin. Keep in mind, there are roughly 40K people relating to Asus and lots are in the PC/Notebook area. Not lots in networking/routing.

@RMerlin - do you have any marketing contacts you know and would be willing to share with me?
At one point in my career (late part) I ran Business Development/Strategic Partnerships for a pretty large public networking company. I have some experience in this area. ;-)

I’ve been going through Linkedin looking for anyone close to being a PLM or partnerships manager.
I just sent a message to an Asus Manager of PR and Partnerships at ASUS North America. Maybe he will respond, maybe not….
I’ll keep poking around Linkedin. Keep in mind, there are roughly 40K people relating to Asus and lots are in the PC/Notebook area. Not lots in networking/routing.

@RMerlin - do you have any marketing contacts you know and would be willing to share with me?
At one point in my career (late part) I ran Business Development/Strategic Partnerships for a pretty large public networking company. I have some experience in this area. ;-)
I don't have any contact at the marketing level, they're all at the engineering and lower management levels.

I do know one person more at the marketing level, but he's outside of the networking division, and things went a bit sour in our last interactions a couple of years ago...

Hey @Merlin,

I was a lucky (?) individual to score a 3 pack of the ZenWifi BE30000/BQ16.
I'd *definitely* love to see your handiwork on these guys.
Is there anything I can do to aide you? Is there a way for me to upload a current firmware or anything?

This is incredibly exciting for me as a long time Merlin FW user, and someone who's been living w/ the buggy ah stock RT-BE96U firmware since like January. So first off thank you! Will the ability to customize MLO be a feature you'll work on? Right now the stock MLO config combines 2.4, 5, and 6ghz SSIDs and uses Smart Connect. I'd be really useful to customize an MLO network so it only uses 5 and 6ghz bands!

This is incredibly exciting for me as a long time Merlin FW user, and someone who's been living w/ the buggy ah stock RT-BE96U firmware since like January. So first off thank you! Will the ability to customize MLO be a feature you'll work on? Right now the stock MLO config combines 2.4, 5, and 6ghz SSIDs and uses Smart Connect. I'd be really useful to customize an MLO network so it only uses 5 and 6ghz bands!
+1 on the ability to customize an MLO network so it only uses 5 and 6ghz bands!

Everything related to wifi is outside of my control. MLO handling will be 100% identical to stock firmware.

Is Adaptive QoS not working for these 3 particular models on 3.0.0.6 firmware only or does it also affect the older HND5.04 models on the older 3.0.0.4 firmware?

Managers are lower level people than you need. As I said, director level people are the ones to talk to if you want to gain anything from it.

Is Adaptive QoS not working for these 3 particular models on 3.0.0.6 firmware only or does it also affect the older HND5.04 models on the older 3.0.0.4 firmware?
I don't know, I only have 3006 code for two WIfi 7 devices.

I decided I will be dropping support for the ROG UI with 3006. Having seen that the ROG UI for the GT-98_PRO had issues, I didn't feel like debugging these on top of the rest of the UI work already required for the regular 3006 UI.

I decided I will be dropping support for the ROG UI with 3006. Having seen that the ROG UI for the GT-98_PRO had issues, I didn't feel like debugging these on top of the rest of the UI work already required for the regular 3006 UI.
Any way you can just ditch the ROG UI and replace it with a more "Microsoft BOB" web UI theme? ;)

1716581357052.jpeg

Yeah. That would be great. Thanks.
1716581430682.jpeg

RT-BE96U
GT-BE98_PRO
GT-BE98 (by Gnuton)

Great news but just a quick question - is there any non-obvious hardware advantage (other than price) in one vs the others? I would be most interested in any significant differences in VPN speed (especially as a server) and any progress for that speed against older models. Thank you again!

Great news but just a quick question - is there any non-obvious hardware advantage (other than price) in one vs the others? I would be most interested in any significant differences in VPN speed (especially as a server) and any progress for that speed against older models. Thank you again!
Same CPU for all three models, so there won't be any differences in performance.

I don't know the exact VPN throughput difference compared to BCM4912 and BCM4908 based models, someone will have to test it and measure it.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!