What's new

Another question for you pro's.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pinkfloyd1173

So my new RT-AX88U has been running with mostly no issues other then one.

I have At&t fiber 1 gig, I like to use the Adaptive QOS feature like I did with my RT-AC3100.

Now with the Adaptive QOS, I only use the Bandwidth limiter.

I like to set my PS4 to 20 down and 10 up, for me it cuts lag on a few fps games that I play, I had this set up the same on my AC3100.

I have noticed if I enable AD QOS, my speeds are cut in half, I get about 510 down, 508 up. With out AD QOS I get 978 down 980 up.

I am trying to figure out why this is happening, I have set up the AX88U, pretty much the same way as my AC3100.

I dont really use alot of the features you guys use it for, like Nas setup or other tech things, just basic stuff.

Is there a setting I might be missing, I have double checked all my settings and cant seem to find what is going on?

If you guys could point me in the right direction?

Would like to add, I do not use the AT&T gateway, I am using the Dumb Switch Method, and it has always worked.

Thanks in advance guys.

So my new RT-AX88U has been running with mostly no issues other then one.

I have At&t fiber 1 gig, I like to use the Adaptive QOS feature like I did with my RT-AC3100.

Now with the Adaptive QOS, I only use the Bandwidth limiter.

I like to set my PS4 to 20 down and 10 up, for me it cuts lag on a few fps games that I play, I had this set up the same on my AC3100.

I have noticed if I enable AD QOS, my speeds are cut in half, I get about 510 down, 508 up. With out AD QOS I get 978 down 980 up.

I am trying to figure out why this is happening, I have set up the AX88U, pretty much the same way as my AC3100.

I dont really use alot of the features you guys use it for, like Nas setup or other tech things, just basic stuff.

Is there a setting I might be missing, I have double checked all my settings and cant seem to find what is going on?

If you guys could point me in the right direction?

Would like to add, I do not use the AT&T gateway, I am using the Dumb Switch Method, and it has always worked.

Thanks in advance guys.
QOS at gigabit line speed would require something like an Intel i5 or i7 CPU which is impractical for cost, power and heat. Without QOS, routers can avoid packets being processed by the CPU.

Sorry do not seem to understand your answer.

The thing is I had my ac3100 set up the same way and I always was able to get over 900 down and 900 up. I know its a newer model but I would think it would work?

Sorry do not seem to understand your answer.

The thing is I had my ac3100 set up the same way and I always was able to get over 900 down and 900 up. I know its a newer model but I would think it would work?
I don't know then. I did not know that 900 Mbps/sec up and down would be possible with QOS on 1.4 GHz CPU.

Well the Adaptive QOS is enabled, but I am only using the Bandwidth limiter for 1 device, my ps4. Which I will say works but my speeds fo all my other devices are now cut in half?

Attachments

• Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    41.6 KB · Views: 360
Ok so I have been messing around with the Adaptive QOS, set it to Adaptive qos, automatic setting, fq_codel, Games.

Now my speeds are back to normal??

Very weird, maybe new FW broke the bandwidth limter???

Dont have a clue now.

Attachments

• Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    38.2 KB · Views: 280
  • Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    213.4 KB · Views: 294
Adaptive QoS supports hardware acceleration. Bandwidth Limiter however does not (it's based on the same code as Traditional QoS, which is incompatible with hardware acceleration).

Adaptive QoS supports hardware acceleration. Bandwidth Limiter however does not (it's based on the same code as Traditional QoS, which is incompatible with hardware acceleration).

I see Mr. Merlin, but on my ac3100 it always worked and I have always used your FW. I am not saying it your FW, just weird that it will now not work with this model? That could be the reason, new model?

I see Mr. Merlin, but on my ac3100 it always worked and I have always used your FW. I am not saying it your FW, just weird that it will now not work with this model? That could be the reason, new model?

The RT-AX88U architecture is quite different from the RT-AC3100, however in both case what I wrote is the same: Bandwidth Limiter does not support hardware acceleration, but Adaptive QoS does. It requires the use of iptables entries in a chain that is normally bypassed by hardware acceleration.

I see, well thank you for your help good sir you have answered my question.

Asus might have done some tweaks over time, because in the case of the RT-AC3100 (older SDK architecture), they disable hardware acceleration if using Bandwidth Limiter AND you are also bandwidth limiting wireless clients for guests:

Code:
(check_wl_guest_bw_enable()  && (nvram_get_int("qos_enable") && nvram_get_int("qos_type") == 2)

That check_wl_guest_bw_enable() is new to me, no idea when it was added.

The RT-AX88U has a completely different hardware acceleration engine, so rules may differ between models as well.

EDIT: in the RT-AX88U's case, they indeed disable it whenever QoS is enabled and it's not in Adaptive mode:

Code:
        // traditional qos / bandwidth limter: disable fc
        nvram_set_int("fc_disable", nvram_get_int("fc_disable_force") || (routing_mode && qos_en && (nvram_get_int("qos_type") != 1)) ? 1 : 0);
        nvram_set_int("runner_disable", nvram_get_int("runner_disable_force") || (routing_mode && qos_en) ? 1 : 0);

Thank you good sir for checking it out for me.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!