What's new

Diversion Another RT-AC88U and Diversion question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cunningStunts

New Around Here
Question is really about the basics of Diversion. Simply put, I want to emulate what the browser extension 'uBlock Origin' does, on the rest of my network (phones, tablets, TVs, and other PCs).

From what I've gathered Diversion seems pretty simple to install, was going to go the standard version install, and it doesn't seem like there is too much setup to do.

My only worry, because I've always found networking and internet security/optimization to be harder to understand than quantum physics, is that this may interfere in some way with my significant other's job. She has to use a large banking corporations VPN from home, on this network.

Currently the AC88 log gives a "dnsmasq-dhcp[1723]: Ignoring domain....." entry when it is activated, and it works for her, so I can't risk that connection being interfered with.

So, if I install and run Diversion Standard (or Lite, not sure what the different pixlserver package routing does but there has to be a reason for this option)...will it work as well as the uBlock extension I currently use on this pc, but throughout every device connected via my router?

Apologies in advance for the scrub question and any particular info that I may have left out....my brain has issues learning this side of computing.

Diversion is a "hosts based" ad blocker. As such it will never be as effective as browser extensions like uBlock Origin or Adblock Plus.
I see.

Does it at least translate through hardware mediums? Will my TVs and mobile devices gain any shielding from ads from using Diversion at all?

I see.

Does it at least translate through hardware mediums? Will my TVs and mobile devices gain any shielding from ads from using Diversion at all?
Yes. The blocks are performed at the router.

Yes. Diversion is still very effective in it's own right. It can also be combined with the router's DNSFilter to intercept and (hopefully) block ads on IoT devices that try to bypass local DNS blocking. It works very well for my Sony android TV.

Last questions for my peace of mind, is the program evolved enough for my silk brain to essentially 'set it and forget it' with the adblocker? IE: Install per instructions, activate adblocker (a) and activate all services (enable), update as necessary along with merlin software

Do I need to worry about learning how the other options work and operate? (history, adcount, follow, or fastswitch)

Last questions for my peace of mind, is the program evolved enough for my silk brain to essentially 'set it and forget it' with the adblocker? IE: Install per instructions, activate adblocker (a) and activate all services (enable), update as necessary along with merlin software
That's pretty much it. I'd probably start by installing Diversion Lite and seeing how it goes.

Do I need to worry about learning how the other options work and operate? (history, adcount, follow, or fastswitch)
No.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!