What's new

any good uses for a raspberry pi?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cooloutac

Very Senior Member
trying to find a useful purpose for my pi on my home network. i use to use it as a print server for an old printer but have since upgraded my printer and it was collecting dust. i recently decided to try out pi-hole, bought a small switch and a new poer adapter for it wired it all up. But my vpn clients on the guest network of my asus router did not function properly when setting it as the dns server in dhcp and it did not even block most ads on youtube so was pretty worthless to me. i'm kind of depressed pi-hole didn't work out for me.

is there any other use I can maybe purpose it for?

PiHole is a great tool but there are certain limitations to that. PiHole can't and won't block YouTube ads because Google will tend to serve the ad from the same destination. If that makes sense, so you can't block youtube ads without blocking youtube.com which blocks youtube alltogether. If you check out the PiHole subreddit they commonly tell users to install PiHole as well as Ublock Origin in your web browser. This blocks youtube ads for me. Plus, if you happen to be an Android user, install Youtube Vanced as that also has no ads for android devices. :)

PiHole is a great tool but there are certain limitations to that. PiHole can't and won't block YouTube ads because Google will tend to serve the ad from the same destination. If that makes sense, so you can't block youtube ads without blocking youtube.com which blocks youtube alltogether. If you check out the PiHole subreddit they commonly tell users to install PiHole as well as Ublock Origin in your web browser. This blocks youtube ads for me. Plus, if you happen to be an Android user, install Youtube Vanced as that also has no ads for android devices. :)

ya i use ublock origin. wanted it to block youtube ads on android app and the smart tv but i guess thats just a dream. does youtube vanced work with chromecast?

ya i use ublock origin. wanted it to block youtube ads on android app and the smart tv but i guess thats just a dream. does youtube vanced work with chromecast?
Nah it doesn't. Still goes through youtube I think when you cast it.

Nah it doesn't. Still goes through youtube I think when you cast it.
i'll do more reseach on pi-hole and youtube. i can' really figure out what else to do with the pi and i got it all setup i want it to do something even if its just for fun and not really a practical use lol. i plan on in the future when i finally build a router/firewall to try and use it as a unifi controller and just purchase a wap. but that won't be anytime soon.

i'll do more reseach on pi-hole and youtube. i can' really figure out what else to do with the pi and i got it all setup i want it to do something even if its just for fun and not really a practical use lol. i plan on in the future when i finally build a router/firewall to try and use it as a unifi controller and just purchase a wap. but that won't be anytime soon.
I have RPI4 that has an external hard drive plugged in running sonarr and radarr that serves to my plex media server. Costs next to nothing to run 24/7. It's a handy little thing to have.

I don't know if there is a distro that supports monitor mode. But if there is, you could make something like this.
Oh thats very interesting. I only have the pi 3 though which can only do 200 MBs. The pi 4 is a GBit. But you gave me an idea.that maybe if I turn my pi into a unify controller I could use an oled display with it possibly. That would be pretty cool.

Plex, PiHole, MC Spigot Server, Adguard.

You can use Pi as your sole server for ... serving stuff. Or better, get two and set up redundant cluster, because these things are less reliable than professional server. Which will give you exercise in fault management.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!