What's new

Any Known Incompatibility older ASUS AC68R and Windows 11?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Curmudgeon10

Occasional Visitor
Brand new HP desktop with Windows 11 64 bit. It sees all my wireless access point but WILL NOT accept the network password -- says "Network Password is Incorrect. Please try again." Network is working fine. Current firmware in the router is 386.1_beta2 PC will connect to unsecured access point.

No answers on this issue from either Windows or HP support.

What "network password" are you talking about? Does it contain any non-alphanumeric characters? How long is the password?

Last edited:
In Windows 11, one selects a WiFi access point, and it prompts you for your "Network password." Mine is 10 characters long and consists of 5 numbers and 5 alpha characters. Its been in use for 6 years. However, when I enter it trying to connect on this new PC, I get an error message that the "Network password is incorrect. Please try again."

Go to the Settings, wifi, Manage known networks and remove your network SSID.

Now, try putting in the correct password again.

That should not be a problem then. Check that you're typing what you think you are, e.g. caps-lock isn't on.

Go to the Settings, wifi, Manage known networks and remove your network SSID.

Now, try putting in the correct password again.
Hmm.... no networks are shown EXCEPT my "guest network." In the lower right, of the Windows screen, "Manage WiFi Connections" both the router 2.4 and 5GHz networks are shown, as well as two WiFi access points (normally where I connect the PC)

I don't think you're in 'Settings'. See the screenshot below and see what is showing in Manage known networks on your computer.

ManageKnownNetworks2022-05-31 132429.png

Yea, I'm in settings, but one screen beyond your screen shot per instruction to go to "manage known networks." On the screen you show, with "show available networks" selected, all the networks and access points are shown. On the Manage Known Networks page, only the Guest Network is shown. Anyway, from either of those two screens, not sure how you hide the SSID. From the Show Available Networks screen I selected an access point and again tried to log in, got same "Incorrect Password" message.

Yea, I'm in settings, but one screen beyond your screen shot per instruction to go to "manage known networks." On the screen you show, with "show available networks" selected, all the networks and access points are shown. On the Manage Known Networks page, only the Guest Network is shown. Anyway, from either of those two screens, not sure how you hide the SSID. From the Show Available Networks screen I selected an access point and again tried to log in, got same "Incorrect Password" message.

I have not seen Win11 yet...

I don't understand the use of the term 'access point' here in conjunction with trying to forget and recreate a connection to a WiFi network SSID.... my access points each broadcast 4 WiFi network SSIDs and I connect my clients to only one of those, not to the AP itself.

OE

So my home network consists of two Wi-Fi signals the router broadcasts and two other sets of signals broadcast by Wireless Access Points. My PC is not located close enough to the router for a reliable connection. I use Trendline and house wiring to deliver signals to two separate range extenders (Almond) configured as “Wireless Access Points.” Either of those provides the bandwidth and strength I need at the PC. They also have SSIDs of their own. I can hide the SSID of the WAPs through their individual controls on the face of the units, and I can certainly hide the SSIDs of the router signals through its controls and webpage, but my PC is never connected to those. I just don’t know how to hide an SSID using Windows S/W.

So my home network consists of two Wi-Fi signals the router broadcasts and two other sets of signals broadcast by Wireless Access Points. My PC is not located close enough to the router for a reliable connection. I use Trendline and house wiring to deliver signals to two separate range extenders (Almond) configured as “Wireless Access Points.” Either of those provides the bandwidth and strength I need at the PC. They also have SSIDs of their own. I can hide the SSID of the WAPs through their individual controls on the face of the units, and I can certainly hide the SSIDs of the router signals through its controls and webpage, but my PC is never connected to those. I just don’t know how to hide an SSID using Windows S/W.

My guess is that your new Win11 PC will connect fine to your AC68R router/AP... if you move it close enough. And that the current connection issue relates to the intervening powerline and range extender equipment you have configured. If so, it would remain for you to investigate further and home in on which such equipment is causing the issue.

OE

My guess is that your new Win11 PC will connect fine to your AC68R router/AP... if you move it close enough. And that the current connection issue relates to the intervening powerline and range extender equipment you have configured. If so, it would remain for you to investigate further and home in on which such equipment is causing the issue.

OE

The thing is this new PC replaces one operating in the same spot with exactly the same described connectivity and architecture for five years without a problem. Thanks for your interest. I’ve got some suggestions from Microsoft to follow up on.

I have not seen Win11 yet...

I don't understand the use of the term 'access point' here in conjunction with trying to forget and recreate a connection to a WiFi network SSID.... my access points each broadcast 4 WiFi network SSIDs and I connect my clients to only one of those, not to the AP itself.

OE

Under manage known networks you have to left click the network not right click. After left click there will be an option to forget. Once forgotten reboot the computer then try and sign in again with your network pass phrase.

The thing is this new PC replaces one operating in the same spot with exactly the same described connectivity and architecture for five years without a problem. Thanks for your interest. I’ve got some suggestions from Microsoft to follow up on.

My point is that we/you are no longer troubleshooting the issue as originally posted. The Win11 PC has never worked with your equipment, so where to begin... Win11?... AC68R?... less known powerline and extenders? Me, I'd rule out what works (win11 and AC68R, I suspect) and move on to consider what is often less reliable... powerline and extenders. I suspect an incompatibility/glitch there with your new PC.

You'll need to investigate further to narrow it down, imo.

OE

In Windows 11, Under Manage known networks, the Forget button appears next to the network name. In my case, the only network showing is the Guest Network. I'll try your idea tomorrow, but using that network for my PC is not really an option. There must be a Windows issue that prevents the other networks from appearing in this screen.

Problem is being solved....

All along, it was the "Network Password." Password in place for six years, and OK with Windows 10 of form: 56KvHG5W9. Changed to this form: irthryeu92. Wifi Connects. Go figure.

My WiFi password is more than double the length of yours and includes upper and lower case and with several special characters. It has survived both Win 10 & Win 11 PCs (Intel WiFi and also some other brand), multiple brands of phones, a 2014 iPad, a 2021 iPad, several Brother printers, and 3 LG TVs.

They all seem to co-exist without any dramas. I think the problem is HP not Win 11. However, it's good that you have a solution / work around.

My WiFi password is more than double the length of yours and includes upper and lower case and with several special characters. It has survived both Win 10 & Win 11 PCs (Intel WiFi and also some other brand), multiple brands of phones, a 2014 iPad, a 2021 iPad, several Brother printers, and 3 LG TVs.

They all seem to co-exist without any dramas. I think the problem is HP not Win 11. However, it's good that you have a solution / work around.
That's certainly what I expected when setting up this new HP, which replaced an HP. I ran out of gas with HP Tech Support on this issue after a bunch of "try this." They finally referred me to their paid tech support, where for only $50 someone would have had me spend hours fooling with my router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!