What's new

Any thoughts on ISP supplied TP-Link EX820v 2.5Gb WAN/LAN, AX6000 router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hd1080ts

New Around Here
ISP is supplying a TP-Link EX820v router with 2.5Gb WAN, 1 x 2.5Gb LAN, 3 x GigE LAN and AX6000 Wifi6.

Anyone got experience of this unit good or bad?
I am guessing it may be similar to a cut down Archer AX6000 with the addtion of a 2.5Gb LAN port.

Will be used on a 2Gb down, 1Gb up FTTP GPON connection.

TP-Link product page https://service-provider.tp-link.com/wifi-router/ex820v/

This is a high performance gateway with 2.5GbE ports for WAN and LAN + VoIP + dual 4-stream radios + 160MHz wide channels + many firmware features. If all the features are unlocked - seems like a good hardware device. If it comes for free - definitely see what it can do for you. May save quite some money for own router. ISP provided devices are usually trouble free and secure, but you may find locked features.

ISP charges USD97 install charge to cover 2.5Gb ONT and the 2.5gb route,r plus USD12-25 extra pm for 1.2/1.0,2.0/1.0 or 2.5/2.5Gb connection with static IP over the base 1Gb symmetric with CGNAT and a lower end router Wifi6/GigE router (USD24 with free install).

Do they charge monthly for the gateway, for the static IP or for both? You decide depending on the answer. Keep in mind ISP gateway means ISP's responsibility to fix eventual issues. Your equipment means you take the responsibility. The ISP won't support your equipment. Make sure you know what do you want - 1Gbps vs 2.5Gbps, public (?) IP vs CG-NAT, lower vs higher end gateway. Don't overpay for what you don't need.

ISP charges USD97 install charge to cover 2.5Gb ONT and the 2.5gb route,r plus USD12-25 extra pm for 1.2/1.0,2.0/1.0 or 2.5/2.5Gb connection with static IP over the base 1Gb symmetric with CGNAT and a lower end router Wifi6/GigE router (USD24 with free install).
That makes me think you're better off having them put in the 2.5 ONT and skipping their device completely due to the monthly charge. For that high of a monthly charge you could easily make it up for a decent router of your choice. The question then comes down to what the $12-$25/mo covers if it's just a rental fee for the router and no charge for the ONT which they need to provide anyway then it makes sense to drop the router idea they provide for a charge. The additional fee might also simply be for the static IP but, there's a lot of different variables you're dropping here w/o knowing who the ISP is and seeing the rate card for them is hard to compare the options completely.

Static IP is included in the 1.2Gb and above pricing.

Max speed I can get 2.0Gb down with 1Gb up as on GPON until local infrastructure upgraded.

The "free" router really just lacks enough 2.5gb LAN ports, which I will fix with a small 2.5Gb switch.

That makes me think you're better off having them put in the 2.5 ONT and skipping their device completely due to the monthly charge.
There is no extra charge for the router it's technically free, you need to pay the install and monthly for the service even if you use your own router.

ISP provided devices are usually trouble free and secure, but you may find locked features.

Looked at the Specs, doesn't look to bad - similar to what I've seen recently with CoxHSI and ATT - the newer gateways are much better than the ones from a few years back...

This is a managed device, which makes sense as it also provides dial-tone for VoIP.

Curious to know the chipset - my guess is Mediatek because of the EasyMesh functionality that is built in...

Curious to know the chipset - my guess is Mediatek because of the EasyMesh functionality that is built in...
SoC: MediaTek MT7986