What's new

Anybody know why the new BETA testing firmware for ASUS Routers supporting Wireguard has stalled?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I would guess because they've been busy with other more important things.

Can I recommend you consider an addon done by @Martineau called wg_manager?
It is available now and does a great job. I am running wireguard on a site-2-site tunnel and also have a few devices (my iPhone) that can connect once in a while.

It works great and my site-2-site tunnel has been stable for quite some time.

Here is a good starting point:

Code:
https://github.com/MartineauUK/wireguard#wireguard

And @ZebMcKayhan has done an excellent guide that uses wg_manager:

Code:
https://github.com/ZebMcKayhan/WireguardManager

I don't recall if an AC68U is supported though. I believe ASUS is only going to support wireguard on AX/HND class routers. It requires the wireguard.ko kernel module.
There are some additional kernel modules wg_manager can supply. Sorry, I don't know if AC68U can use one of them...

So the firmware at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wvFKrOprbgDcrTk6yh84OOm8uZHsPgIZ
has been stalled on these models for months (like 3 or 4 months)...I was thinking by now almost April
they would have released new firmware supporting Wireguard (And thus Merlin could work his magic on it)...But it seems to
have completely stalled...Anybody know why? Has there been a change with their going to support Wireguard? (Hope not).
It will be some time before the Asus GUI version is ready.

In the meantime, if you've a brave spirit, are up for a challenge and possibly want to learn some things, you have an option through amtm. your RT-AC86 was one of the first routers it was written for/tested on.
(I think it's wicked cool that some of the folks who hang out here have beaten the paid devs of a major OEM manufacturer across a finish line...in their spare time!)

Pay attention in Zeb's GitHub README to the NPT6 setup details, if you've a native IPv6 connection from your ISP. I suspect it's what the Asus people are tapdancing around as a delay - WireGuard (in my estimation) will force a not insignificant change to the way most people who choose to use it connect to the greater internet, and that means Asus heading back to the drawing board (again) if I'm right.

Thanks to all for answering...
I was just curious with what is going on with the Asus Beta Firmware with Wireguard...
Yes I've been following the Zeb McKayhan project...
Right now I am waiting on my VPN Provider (Surfshark) to actually support Wireguard on the router.
They said several months ago they intended to and nothing since then. (They've been purchased by NordVPN in the interim).
So right now I couldn't upgrade to Wireguard (For Client support) if I wanted to unless I changed my VPN Provider (Which I still have more than a year's subcription with)....
It was my understanding that ASUS was only going to support the AX models with the new Wireguard Firmware...But right now that seems to have been placed in a holding pattern...
I just got a bandwidth upgrade (Starlink) but it turns out that my RT-AC86u is able to Support the download bandwidth (Currently) on Starlink with my OpenVPN/Surfshark configuration.
But I'm aware that any additional speed increase in my bandwidth (As Starlink continues to launch Satellites) could cause my router to become a limiting factor. If and when that happens
I may be forced to change my VPN Provider to one that supports Wireguard (on the router) and get a new model Router that supports Wireguard. That is why I was wondering what the status of the
Asus Beta Firmware with Wireguard was as it seems to have stalled in the past 3 to 4 months.

Last edited:
"If it is to be, it is up to me" - Dale Carnegie, I believe. (I'm likely confuzzled/mistaken)
WireGuard makes YOU your own VPN.

If this ^^ clarifies things, go back and re-read the bottom of my last post, with the NPT6 reference, and the links about it in the WireGuard thread...maybe that'll help explain the delay on Asus' end? Everything would change...not insignificantly.

OH - and until Elon's ISP can deliver closer to 1Gbps symmetrically and consistently to you, your AC86 will be just fine. it'll be your devices looking for the AX speeds and saturating your StarLink. (I can see why you want to conceal your traffic - Elon is a living James Bond supervillain in plain sight)

Last edited:
Thanks for the additional references...
Right now Starlink is CGNAT...Some ocassionally receive a Public IP (And then lose it later).
IPv6 on Starlink some have had some success with but then lost it later (It's in a sort of Beta State on Starlink).
I personally don't have a need for IPv6 and would actually prefer to stay with IPv4 on the LAN side but
don't have any issue with the WAN side being IPv6. I don't have a need for remote access into my network.

Thanks again for the info...I'll try to stay informed as much as possible on Wireguard and it's adoption.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!