What's new

Anyone else "mount" their router like this?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

badbob001

Occasional Visitor
I don't want my ac86u in the basement closet so I wall mounted it outside the closet with two clothes hangers. The main hanger has a horizontal bar that can be unhooked so I ran that through the space behind the clear plastic with the asus logo. The other hanger is just to keep it pointed horizontally.
50059960962_f5fe691a75_c.jpg

If only asus added mounting holes so I could just add two screws to the door and be done.

Needs more barbwire and chewing gum.

The metal hanger bridging the three antennas might hurt. You could replace the hangers with one string up to the hook and then down and out to antennas 1 and 3 tie-off points.

Antenna signal pattern.

OE

I don't want my ac86u in the basement closet so I wall mounted it outside the closet with two clothes hangers. The main hanger has a horizontal bar that can be unhooked so I ran that through the space behind the clear plastic with the asus logo. The other hanger is just to keep it pointed horizontally.
50059960962_f5fe691a75_c.jpg

If only asus added mounting holes so I could just add two screws to the door and be done.

I have OCD.
Even if this could be a remote possibility, don't :)

Don't you think more heat can be displaced with the rear vents facing up?

This is only a prototype. Maybe for production, I try to find a fancy wooden hanger.
The box is made to be fitted vertical, with the antenna connectors on top.
The air flow is assumed from bottom to top, along the components on the board and the heat sink, vent openings are at the intended top and the rear.
With the router mounted horizontal - facing down, the air flow is different for sure and may cause heat traps.
My RT-AC68U is positioned per design, where the front (with the LED's) is slightly warmer then the rest of the box, if this side was facing down I can imagine the warmth would be trapped at that side of the PCB.

The box is made to be fitted vertical, with the antenna connectors on top.
The air flow is assumed from bottom to top, along the components on the board and the heat sink, vent openings are at the intended top and the rear.
With the router mounted horizontal - facing down, the air flow is different for sure and may cause heat traps.
My RT-AC68U is positioned per design, where the front (with the LED's) is slightly warmer then the rest of the box, if this side was facing down I can imagine the warmth would be trapped at that side of the PCB.

OP could upgrade further to make it a coffee mug warmer!

OE

I used to hang my 68U from a zip line. If a WiFi client was experiencing weak signal from the other side of my house, I'd just put a foot into and send it along the line to the other side of the house. AiMesh made my zip line unnecessary. Problem solved. ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!