What's new

Apple M1 and AX88U WiFI issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tommy76

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I was playing with new Apple M1 hardware and I have noticed that the WiFi shows as connected, but it doesn't seem to send any traffic over the network. I can't ping the router -- it just times out. The Tx Rate in the wifi menu fluctuates a little bit, which makes me think it's sort of connected, but no traffic goes through. Turning wifi off and on again fixes it immediately for a while. No other devices I have have ever had a similar issue. Is there any incompatibility between M1 (Apple Slicon) and ASUS? The issue doesn't occur on TP Link AX-50 and on AC87U.

I have tried disabling WiFi6, etc. No luck so far. Only workaround I have found is to establish VPN connection on M1 machine to the router. And then the issue doesn't occur on ax87u. It's super strange issue.

WiFi driver: "wl0: Dec 8 2020 23:40:39 version 18.27.2.0.7.8.102 FWID 01-be15e2c1"

More about issue: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/wifi-issues-m1-macbook-pro.2270884/

Tested on Merlin 384.xx and 386 beta 1 to 3. Tested also on latest official fw release.

Last edited:
It sounds like a driver problem related to the Apple M1 hardware. There have been Bluetooth issues reported with M1 hardware as well so it wouldn't be surprising if its simply another similar issue. It's a brand new design. I'm sure Apple will be providing software updates to deal with this issue if that is the problem... They always have in the past. Meanwhile you will have to experiment with the Asus router's Wifi settings to see if you can implement a temporary fix... many users in this forum have a list to try... Turn off Universal Beamforming, Turn off Smart Connect, etc..

Note that it looks like the TP Link AX-50 uses Intel chips (not sure about the Tx/Rx radios) and the AC87U uses Broadcom (BCM) chipsets. I'm not sure what brand the M1 hardware uses for Wifi but I believe Apple has been using BCM Wifi chips in their Wifi 5 supported devices. Intel Wifi 6 radio chipsets are more of the standard right now for mobile devices like newer laptops that support Wifi 6.

Last edited:
True, TP Link uses intel chipsets (cpu and radios).

I have tested almost all possible settings with Asus router. Some allows to use internet longer than others but in the end the issue will occur.

Sadly on the M1 they don't expose the WiFi chipset as they do on Intel ones that use Broadcom chipsets.

I have noticed that with TP link the WiFi speed is no bigger than 500 mbps. So I have limited the M1 machine on Asus to max 500 mbps and no issue with Asus AX88U.

Hi,
I was playing with new Apple M1 hardware and I have noticed that the WiFi shows as connected, but it doesn't seem to send any traffic over the network. I can't ping the router -- it just times out. The Tx Rate in the wifi menu fluctuates a little bit, which makes me think it's sort of connected, but no traffic goes through. Turning wifi off and on again fixes it immediately for a while. No other devices I have have ever had a similar issue. Is there any incompatibility between M1 (Apple Slicon) and ASUS? The issue doesn't occur on TP Link AX-50 and on AC87U.

I have tried disabling WiFi6, etc. No luck so far. Only workaround I have found is to establish VPN connection on M1 machine to the router. And then the issue doesn't occur on ax87u. It's super strange issue.

WiFi driver: "wl0: Dec 8 2020 23:40:39 version 18.27.2.0.7.8.102 FWID 01-be15e2c1"

More about issue: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/wifi-issues-m1-macbook-pro.2270884/

Tested on Merlin 384.xx and 386 beta 1 to 3. Tested also on latest official fw release.
Did you ever find a solution to this? I have the ASUS AX82U and wifi stay connected but data flow randomly stops. Sometimes after 10 second, sometimes after I have managed to download 5gb. But once it stops, it needs a reboot to get it downloading again.
I'm already on my second MacBook as Apple thought the first one could be faulty but its still happening.
Ive been scouring the internet for weeks looking for an answer and this seems to be quite a common problem. Although I have seen people having issues with many brands of router, it does seem more the majority of them are with Asus routers.

I don't think it's the router at fault though as the logs within the router show no extra lines at the moment the MacBook M1 gives up its connection.

As it stands, i'm hoping MacOS 11.2 (hopefully out in the next few days) will fix it otherwise i'm sending it back for a refund.

I'm testing 11.2 RC and it's better. Hope you will give us a feedback after installing 11.2.

@ASUSWRT_2020 It's the same issue I have.
Is it better as in working fine or just a bit of an improvement?
I would try the 11.2RC but apple are calling me back every other day with suggestions and to see if anything has improved but they have said if there is any kind of beta on there they can’t help at all.

So 11.2 Beta 1 was a disaster. Beta 2 and RC uses the same chip FW and on them I had no issues with BT and WiFi since I have installed beta 2. However the whole story with M1 issues keep me stressful on calls, etc.

Today on stable 11.2 I had the same issue when I was updating Adobe package. So the issue is still there :(

Today on stable 11.2 I had the same issue when I was updating Adobe package. So the issue is still there :(
I actually sent mine back yesterday for a refund. So reading this shows it was the right thing to do. Thanks for the update!
Let's hope they fix it by time the next models that are out.

I actually sent mine back yesterday for a refund. So reading this shows it was the right thing to do. Thanks for the update!
Let's hope they fix it by time the next models that are out.
I will probably do the same. I guess it's more hardware issue than software one.