What's new

Are all routers bad these days? (Help I need a new router!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thursday evening when hubby was playing Xbox, he got knocked out with a no network (wireless 5Gh). It came back almost immediately according to him. However it knocked out our wired cameras, so he unplugged (power) and replugged it in. I was already in bed, so didn't get to see if IP was good, showing.
One wireless client losing connection should have nothing to do with Ethernet connectivity unless the entire router glitched and power cycled.
Yesterday afternoon, my computer (5Gh) disconnected. When I looked, it did not show connected. (It has been doing this for a while even with the old router.
If this issue has existed with old and new routers, it could the the wireless card in your computer is failing. Or there is another network in the area causing heavy interference.
Last night, hubby noticed that the solar module was flashing red (means not connected.)
You talk about this equipment a lot. Is it wireless or Ethernet connected?
I'm just not really sure how to do this? And I don't know what it means to be configured outside of the DHCP pool
https://kb.netgear.com/25722/How-do-I-reserve-an-IP-address-on-my-NETGEAR-router

The DHCP pool is the range of addresses that your router hands out to devices when they connect via DHCP. Devices are usually set to use DHCP unless you manually set them to use static IP.

If you use the router to manage reserved IP addresses, you don't have to worry about assigning addresses outside the DHCP pool. When you reserve an IP address in the router, it doesn't give that address to any other device.

Some routers make this process easy by showing you the devices that have received addresses via DHCP and let you reserve those addresses. If the NETGEAR doesn't do this (I forget), then you will need to go to each device that you want to make static/reserved and write down its address.

If you have already assigned static IP addresses to any devices, then you have to worry about pool conflicts.

To change the DHCP pool range:
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do...-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-router

One wireless client losing connection should have nothing to do with Ethernet connectivity unless the entire router glitched and power cycled.

We assumed that the whole system did "something" not sure it was a whole power cycle based on what he told me. But after that glitch with the Xbox, the cameras knocked out and had to be recycled and the HDHomerun had to be reset on one of the apple TVs. Had I been up and watching TV or on the internet I might have noticed something?

this issue has existed with old and new routers, it could the the wireless card in your computer is failing. Or there is another network in the area causing heavy interference.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out something is finally going wonky with the computer... but I did want to mention it. I'll ignore if it happens for the time being.

You talk about this equipment a lot. Is it wireless or Ethernet connected?

Ethernet. We have three wired devices: Security cameras, Solar, and HDHomerun (TV) And for the most part they are the ones acting up. (other than my computer, I guess all the wireless appear fine... but the darned wired ones are giving me a stinkin' headache!

https://kb.netgear.com/25722/How-do-I-reserve-an-IP-address-on-my-NETGEAR-router
DHCP pool is the range of addresses that your router hands out to devices when they connect via DHCP. Devices are usually set to use DHCP unless you manually set them to use static IP.

If you use the router to manage reserved IP addresses, you don't have to worry about assigning addresses outside the DHCP pool. When you reserve an IP address in the router, it doesn't give that address to any other device.

Some routers make this process easy by showing you the devices that have received addresses via DHCP and let you reserve those addresses. If the NETGEAR doesn't do this (I forget), then you will need to go to each device that you want to make static/reserved and write down its address.

If you have already assigned static IP addresses to any devices, then you have to worry about pool conflicts.

I don't have any other static IPs.

So I can give it any number up to 254? Or I give it the number that the router automatically has given it at this time?

Should I give all three of my eternal wired devices Static IPs? Or just the security cameras?

OK.... so everything shown on this link is already showing when I log in... so I'm good to go with this part... right?

Use the IP addresses that your router has assigned and use the reservation feature for the ones you want to be static.

Setting a DHCP reservation in the router just makes sure that the router assigns the same IP address to a device. To keep the device from having to depend on the router for IP info, you must change the device from DHCP to static, using the same information that the router has assigned.

The method varies from device to device. Search for the info or consult your product manuals.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online