What's new

Are UBNT Switches a good choice? 8 port POE

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nikleb

Regular Contributor
I want to upgrade my Netgear GS108T due to the need of POE. I like to avoid the clutter with adding injectors.
When looking for models I came across the US‑8‑150W switch.
https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-switching/unifi-switch-8-150w/

I just recently bought some UBNT AP's and like the solution. However, I also wonder how reliable and secure the company is. Also, I wish UBNT products could be bought from well known distributors/stores.
I looked at some reviews of US‑8‑150W. Generally positive. Some experienced very early HW failure. Many point out that the device is running unusually hot.

Just wondering if anyone here used UBNT switches or knows of tests/reviews.

I just recently bought some UBNT AP's and like the solution. However, I also wonder how reliable and secure the company is. Also, I wish UBNT products could be bought from well known distributors/stores.
I looked at some reviews of US‑8‑150W. Generally positive.

They're ok, and they integrate nicely with the UBNT AP's...

The company is secure but unreliable. Their investor brochure calls their fans fanatics. Quite a lot of shady things, for sure they'll be around for long, but whether or not they are a good company is another thing.

You can also go with a POE based netgear switch too. Just remember that UBNT switches arent really special in comparison to other semi managed switches but im sure they'd do decently in your network.

thanks.

I figured the UBNT woudl nicely integrate with the software for the AP's.
I liked the form factor of the UBNT and the idea that the power supply is integrated, less clutter. But the power supply might be in fact an issue. I did not research for problems, simply US‑8‑150W reviews when I picked up on the issue.
I am assuming performance on comparable switches is more or less the same. So, it comes down to manageability and uptime.

BTW. what is the difference between US‑8‑150W and? ES-8-150W-US (other than color :)). The ES is slightly cheaper

I manage 3 pairs of UBNT 24Ghz AirFiber radios (768 Mbps FDX point to point microwave links) for my employer. They have been solid for several years. Only issue had been with their midspan power injectors. Amateur radio hobbyists are using UBNT devices for their radio data links on frequencies assigned to the hobby. They report UBNT equipment working good and lasting a long time. I may yet ditch my RT-AC86U for a discrete Firewall-VPN router, POE+ managed switch, and UBNT access points in AP mode. Cable one for each room in the house on 40Mhz channels and be done with it. Sort of a half way enterprise style capacity model instead of a home coverage one.

thanks.

I figured the UBNT woudl nicely integrate with the software for the AP's.
I liked the form factor of the UBNT and the idea that the power supply is integrated, less clutter. But the power supply might be in fact an issue. I did not research for problems, simply US‑8‑150W reviews when I picked up on the issue.
I am assuming performance on comparable switches is more or less the same. So, it comes down to manageability and uptime.

BTW. what is the difference between US‑8‑150W and? ES-8-150W-US (other than color :)). The ES is slightly cheaper
most likely power cord and input voltage.

I manage 3 pairs of UBNT 24Ghz AirFiber radios (768 Mbps FDX point to point microwave links) for my employer. They have been solid for several years. Only issue had been with their midspan power injectors. Amateur radio hobbyists are using UBNT devices for their radio data links on frequencies assigned to the hobby. They report UBNT equipment working good and lasting a long time. I may yet ditch my RT-AC86U for a discrete Firewall-VPN router, POE+ managed switch, and UBNT access points in AP mode. Cable one for each room in the house on 40Mhz channels and be done with it. Sort of a half way enterprise style capacity model instead of a home coverage one.

I just did what you described above at my house. Edgerouter 12 plus a couple of switches and three access points (all Ubiquiti gear). It works really well actually! VERY steep learning curve though. There’s a lot of granular controls to wade through. I’m a tech geek and engineer so I wasn’t afraid to figure it out, it just takes time to configure everything correctly. VLANS are cool but not really that intuitive at first for me.

I’ve learned a lot about networking in the process, so that’s a good thing too!!

Useful resources:
Willie Howe - YouTube
Crosstalk Solutions - YouTube
https://www.handymanhowto.com/ubiquiti-edgerouter-lite-soho-network-configuration/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, missed that. That might be relevant based on the power supply issues people have with US‑8‑150W.
However, when I check the specs it looks like the same AC input.
https://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/edgemax/EdgeSwitch_DS.pdf
https://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/unifi/UniFi_PoE_Switch.pdf
Same AC Input (100-250V) global, just different cable. Whats going on is that despite the same PSU, the different input voltage can affect the lifespawn of the device/ PSU. Low voltages are better for the device, more amps is bad for the PSU.

ES / US switches are the same under the hood. The firmware is certainly different. I would choose an ES vs a US any day. US firmware tends to have odd things that break. Example: port speeds change from firmware to firmware updates.. From 1000Mbps to 100Mbps.. US routers and switches will always need a Unifi controller. Something to consider in switch purchases.

I want to upgrade my Netgear GS108T due to the need of POE. I like to avoid the clutter with adding injectors.
When looking for models I came across the US‑8‑150W switch.
https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-switching/unifi-switch-8-150w/

I looked at some reviews of US‑8‑150W. Generally positive. Some experienced very early HW failure. Many point out that the device is running unusually hot.

Just wondering if anyone here used UBNT switches or knows of tests/reviews.

I just installed some UBNT AP's late last year. I too have been happy with the performance. My main problem is there seem to be a firmware upgrade almost weekly and have to read through all the forum posts to see if I want to install. I added the UBNT 8 port 60w as well and it has been working fine. I remember folks complaining about the heat issues with the 150w model, my 60w runs mildly warm so no problem here.

One of the reasons I did not go with the Netgear AP was the monthly licensing issue and cloud management. The local management of the UBNT stuff is a plus. By the way I tested TP-Link EAP225v3AP, and that worked really well too. If the UBNT frustrates me I will try the TP-Link again.

Hope this helps,

Last edited:
I guess you know Cisco has some very good small business switches which are not too pricey. Cisco is just now switching from SG300 switches to SG350 switches. If you buy used check EOL first to decide. The switches close to EOL are very cheap if it fits what you want. Long term probably better to go with one of the newer not EOL switches.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!