What's new

Where To Go Next From A Mikrotik RB2011UiAS-RM To ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JP267

New Around Here
Hi all,

This forum was extraordinarily helpful when I dove in and bought my Mikrotik RB2011UiAS-RM around three years ago. Since then it has been running 24/7 365 without any hiccups. I still lurk here and am always amazed by the wealth of knowledge and still find it extraordinary helpful!

However I have my first question in three years. Hopefully, one of you much smarter than I folks, can make a suggestion for me. My RB2011UiAS-RM seems to have finally died after three years of service. Towards the end of it's life it seemed bogged down streaming video to multiple computers phones etc while downloading files and surfing the internet. I was never a big fan of RouterOS and would probably like to move in a different direction.

I'm staring at an EdgeRouter POE that I bought yesterday, but I'm reading mixed reviews, on performance and the interface. So thinking of returning it. Looked at the Unifi Security Gateways and they don't seem ready for primetime. I have a machine here with Xenon E3 1231 V3, a Supermicro Mobo and six gig HP/Intel lan ports. So I'm thinking of using it as Pfsense appliance even though the Xenon is probably complete overkill. However it does support AES-NI.

Wondering where some of you would move on to next. So much has changed in three years I'
m not sure where to go. I would like to be able to setup a router with an OpenVPN tunnel on a few machines. I bought a Unifi 24 port managed switch and have a Unifi AP running now. Not sure how well Pfsense gets along with UBNT equipment. In the house there are four cell phones, two smart TVs, eight computers (two HTPCs and one media server running Win Server 2012 R2) two AV receivers, two BluRay players an HDHomerun, and probably something else I'm forgetting. Most of those are on wired connections as I cabled the house with Cat6. The cell phones, two laptops and a Chromebook utilize wifi.

No fiber in this neck of the woods unfortunately (even though I'm only 50 miles outside NYC so frustrating). I'm on a 150Mbps copper line.

Anyway, any and all suggestions would be appreciated! And if I go the Pfsense route is the $99 book worth purchasing? I guess it goes to support the software development which is good.

Thanks again and sorry if I rambled on too long. Working the overnight tonight and dead tired.

Joe

Hi all,

This forum was extraordinarily helpful when I dove in and bought my Mikrotik RB2011UiAS-RM around three years ago. Since then it has been running 24/7 365 without any hiccups. I still lurk here and am always amazed by the wealth of knowledge and still find it extraordinary helpful!

However I have my first question in three years. Hopefully, one of you much smarter than I folks, can make a suggestion for me. My RB2011UiAS-RM seems to have finally died after three years of service. Towards the end of it's life it seemed bogged down streaming video to multiple computers phones etc while downloading files and surfing the internet. I was never a big fan of RouterOS and would probably like to move in a different direction.

I'm staring at an EdgeRouter POE that I bought yesterday, but I'm reading mixed reviews, on performance and the interface. So thinking of returning it. Looked at the Unifi Security Gateways and they don't seem ready for primetime. I have a machine here with Xenon E3 1231 V3, a Supermicro Mobo and six gig HP/Intel lan ports. So I'm thinking of using it as Pfsense appliance even though the Xenon is probably complete overkill. However it does support AES-NI.

Wondering where some of you would move on to next. So much has changed in three years I'
m not sure where to go. I would like to be able to setup a router with an OpenVPN tunnel on a few machines. I bought a Unifi 24 port managed switch and have a Unifi AP running now. Not sure how well Pfsense gets along with UBNT equipment. In the house there are four cell phones, two smart TVs, eight computers (two HTPCs and one media server running Win Server 2012 R2) two AV receivers, two BluRay players an HDHomerun, and probably something else I'm forgetting. Most of those are on wired connections as I cabled the house with Cat6. The cell phones, two laptops and a Chromebook utilize wifi.

No fiber in this neck of the woods unfortunately (even though I'm only 50 miles outside NYC so frustrating). I'm on a 150Mbps copper line.

Anyway, any and all suggestions would be appreciated! And if I go the Pfsense route is the $99 book worth purchasing? I guess it goes to support the software development which is good.

Thanks again and sorry if I rambled on too long. Working the overnight tonight and dead tired.

Joe
Well I think I found an answer looking through the forums. This topology pretty much aligns with what I want to do.

https://nguvu.org/pfsense/pfsense-baseline-setup/

So I think I'll give it a go. This forum is a wealth of information!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk