What's new

Solved Assistance needed with file hash checking on firmware using Ubuntu

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeal

Part of the Furniture
Hey people, I for some reason forgot how to check file hash when we download firmware from Sourceforge or OneDrive. I'm using this command in Ubuntu:
Code:
$ sha256sum -c /home/steve/Downloads/RT-AC68U_386.7_2/sha256sum.sha256
and the output is this:
Code:
sha256sum: RT-AC68U_386.7_2.trx: No such file or directory
RT-AC68U_386.7_2.trx: FAILED open or read
sha256sum: WARNING: 1 listed file could not be read

UPDATE: On Ubuntu open terminal and type sha256sum and drag the firmware .zip file to the terminal window, hit enter and the hash is revealed. Compare to the website.
UPDATE: The proper file to drag to the terminal window is the .trx/.w file not the .zip file as @RMerlin explains below.

Last edited:
UPDATE: On Ubuntu open terminal and type sha256sum and drag the firmware .zip file to the terminal window, hit enter and the hash is revealed. Compare to the website.
Published hashes are for the firmware image file (.trx/.w), NOT for the zip file.

Published hashes are for the firmware image file (.trx/.w), NOT for the zip file.
Thank you sir. I was wondering what was going on. That has the situation sorted now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!