What's new

Assistance with Finding The Best Network Switch and Power Line Adapter Available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ejp

Occasional Visitor
Hello SNB Community,

As you guys are always the most knowledgeable in any area of networking, I wanted to direct a nub question I had about setting up my new home network to some real network professionals. The question I have is as follows:

- If anyone would be so kind, could you please provide me with your opinion on what the very best performing network switch & power line adapter would be? It seems that Ubiquity EdgeRouters are pretty high quality but I'm unsure on the details of what PoE means. I know that some models only power 24v (some say they work with 24v/48v) which creates a problem for some users, so would someone be so kind as to provide me a link to what the best performing switch would be from Ubiquity or another brand? Moreover, would someone kindly explain what PoE is and what benefits the technology provides over other switches? In terms of the PowerLine adapter, I have no idea which brand or model would yield the best performance, so I'm very much open to any suggestions.

Essentially, I will be creating a network in my new home with a router that doesn't quite have enough Ethernet connections to support all of the devices in my office, so from what I understand, a switch is what I would need to best serve as a solution in my circumstance. If it matters, I probably will also be looking at a Ubiquity access point to connect to a power line adapter to have strong signal at the other end of the house.

Thank you so much in advance to anyone willing to help.

If you are going with powerline try to see how much bandwidth you can get from it to determine if you need a gigabit ethernet switch or fast ethernet.

There are 2 types of POE, the cheap passive one and the more expensive active one. Active POE will adjust the voltage output to what is required/set and the ports can all have different voltages. In a passive POE all ports will use the same voltage as the power input to the injector. When using POE dont use long cables due to the voltage drops and heat as the cable becomes a resistor.

Many non consumer hardwares have a voltage operating range (this could be 12V-48V) for example meaning that it will accept a voltage within that range. Some use high voltages on POE when using longer cables while lower voltages can be used when the cable is shorter. It also allows for varrying voltages when using passive POE and having a bunch of devices with different voltages but if they all have a common ground it makes it easier. When you set up POE make sure to check the range of the voltage inputs accepted and keep to that range. It is recommended to use lower voltages when possible for equipment longetivity. Another thing you need to do is to check the PSU from the POE out unit to make sure you are not overloading it.

The ubiquiti ERL is low quality but the rest will do fine. If you need a switch and you want to use VLANs than you only need a layer 2 managed switch which there are many to choose from and tend to be affordable. If you use an enterprise managed switch you will have the capability to configure your network for security against the usual attacks that many home networks still dont have. Some switches have POE output or input (not both) and will mention the POE standard. Often using the same brand for everything will make it easier when it comes to POE but its not exactly necessary when you compare the supported POE inputs.