What's new

Asus AC68 vs AC87 with OpenVPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The RT-AC87U/RT-AC87R has a faster processor than the RT-AC68U/RT-AC68R, but there is also a RT-AC68P that apparently has the same processor as the RT-AC87.

The RT-AC87U/RT-AC87R has a faster processor than the RT-AC68U/RT-AC68R, but there is also a RT-AC68P that apparently has the same processor as the RT-AC87.

Hm, alright. I just ordered the Netgear R7000 because it seems well-supported by the DD-WRT community, has better specs than the AC68 and it can be overclocked with ease.

However, which one would be better between the Netgear R7000 and the Asus AC87? They both seem plagued by tiny issues with the Netgear R7000 rebooting every once in a while and the AC87 having problems with UPnP.

BCM4708 in AC68(U/R) can be overclocked to 1 Ghz and beyond. Mine is running stable at 1.2Ghz.

Hm, alright. I just ordered the Netgear R7000 because it seems well-supported by the DD-WRT community, has better specs than the AC68 and it can be overclocked with ease.

However, which one would be better between the Netgear R7000 and the Asus AC87? They both seem plagued by tiny issues with the Netgear R7000 rebooting every once in a while and the AC87 having problems with UPnP.

I don't know where you saw the "better specs" besides the faster stock clock of BCM4709 cpu that can be matched by overclocking BCM4708.

Last edited:
its the same thing with the AMD HD 7970 which could be overclocked to be equal to HD 7970 Ghz. All the broadcom ARM based dual core CPUs are the same across brands. You can take one at 800Mhz and overclock it to 1.4Ghz as long as cooling allows. If the brand says broadcom ARM SOC than it is most likely the same piece of silicon.

unfortunately microsoft windows doesnt support openVPN by default if you are trying to run an openVPN server. I could test the BCM470x openVPN performance between my routers.

FWIW: Not overclocking my R7000 running Shibby's Tomato-ARM v124 Below are my results for this wireless router configured as OpenVPN server:

4007728672.png

Above OpenVPN w/Protocol TCP...

4007731368.png

Above OpenVPN w/Protocol UDP...

4007726077.png

Above is my typical FTTH symmetrical throughput...