What's new

Asus Aimesh/AP network advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

darkangel1994

Regular Contributor
Hey, first time posting/registering here at snbforums, have previously only read the forums but never had to register because i could find most of my questions.
Today though, i couldnt really find any advice in the forums for my needs.

The situation is as follows, a free standing house on the country side (no wireless networks visible other then ours), 1300sq ft wooden home with chimneys that obstruct current wifi signals. Current equipment are the default ISP-delivered router (fibre optic connection) and a cheap china no-name repeater thats connected by cable to the router to supply somewhat better wifi signal to one of the deadspots.
We want to create network to the garage building aswell (there currently is nothing there). The garage's walls block any wifi signal no matter what, no idea whats in those walls, but nothings going through. There are windows in the garage though where wifi signals pass through with no problem (almost full speed/signal).

The idea is to get rid of the isp delivered router and start with a aimesh/ap setup. Was thinking the following: There is a good deal on offer, two TUF-AX5400 asus routers for 200dollars. Thought to have one thats going to replace the ISP router, and one of them upstairs in either a mesh or AP configuration. The upstairs one would be placed so its having a good reach to the garage window, which where we thought to place a AP/repeater which in turn would supply wifi in the garage itself (with a cheaper router). Both AX5400 would be connected using cat6 backhaul.
In the future we could expand the network if needed, but id rather start with a good setup rather than going with something like a tp link deco m5, which can only be configuired with an app etc.

Any pointers? Thanks for the advice!

Two Asus Wi-Fi 6 routers with AiMesh support for $200 is an excellent deal, but this TUF model is not very popular here on SNB and has no Asuswrt-Merlin support. If what you find in stock Asuswrt firmware is good enough for you - go for it. The router is similar to RT-AX82U, the same hardware.

Two Asus Wi-Fi 6 routers with AiMesh support for $200 is an excellent deal, but this TUF model is not very popular here on SNB and has no Asuswrt-Merlin support. If what you find in stock Asuswrt firmware is good enough for you - go for it. The router is similar to RT-AX82U, the same hardware.

I most likely will be using the stock firmware on the routers. What i wonder is, what would be the best way to go to get wifi coverage in the garage thats about 15 meters away. The signals wont be penetrating the garage walls, so a AP in one of the garage windows, that then spreads the wifi signal in the garage itself?
So, the two asus routers in the house, and one AP in the garage-window are my thoughts.

I most likely will be using the stock firmware on the routers.

You have to use the stock firmware - there is no other firmware option available. Run the two identical routers in AiMesh configuration with wired backhaul. Place the routers close to the center of desired coverage area, if possible, at least -60dBm apart from each other. Otherwise your wireless clients will stick to one of the routers and won't roam. Try with one router first - it may cover your entire area. A garage 15m away is not that far.

You have to use the stock firmware - there is no other firmware option available. Run the two identical routers in AiMesh configuration with wired backhaul. Place the routers close to the center of desired coverage area, if possible, at least -60dBm apart from each other. Otherwise your wireless clients will stick to one of the routers and won't roam. Try with one router first - it may cover your entire area. A garage 15m away is not that far.

Ok. The problem with the garage is that no signal will come in there due to the walls there. But when i tested with wifianalyzer, there is strong wifi reception when holding the phone in the garage window. So i think i'd need another router as an wireless accesspoint (picking up from the AX5400 in the house) in the garagewindow, which will then cover wifi to the inside of the garage? A cable to the garage is currently no option :p

In this case you have to use wireless AiMesh. Your router in the garage will act as wireless repeater. Routers have stronger radios, you don't have to place it exactly behind the window. Experiment with garage router location and find what works stable and good enough for you.

In this case you have to use wireless AiMesh. Your router in the garage will act as wireless repeater. Routers have stronger radios, you don't have to place it exactly behind the window. Experiment with garage router location and find what works stable and good enough for you.

I was thinking having the two AX5400 connected with cable backhaul aimesh in the house, and then wirelessly something in the garage (window if needed). What would i need for router in the garage? I dont want to buy three AX5400 routers seeing the cost :p Maybe a cheaper router for in the garage that acts as a AP just for the garage alone? The eventual AP out in the garage would not be used for anything else then whats in the garage.

I was thinking having the two AX5400 connected with cable backhaul aimesh in the house,

If the routers inside the house are too close to each other, it may make your Wi-Fi worse. AiMesh doesn't allow different channels for the Main and Node routers. If the garage and surroundings is your second desired coverage area, I would place the second router inside the garage and see if it has good enough connection for wireless AiMesh. What this garage walls are made of?

If the routers inside the house are too close to each other, it may make your Wi-Fi worse. AiMesh doesn't allow different channels for the Main and Node routers. If the garage and surroundings is your second desired coverage area, I would place the second router inside the garage and see if it has good enough connection for wireless AiMesh. What this garage walls are made of?

The reason i'd need the two routers in the home is because of two thick chimneys which do strange things to wifi signals. Thought to have one router on one side of the house and one on the other, connected by cable (not via wifi). The garage walls are insulated according to 2020 standards aswell as fire-resistant panels, wind protection (or what its called) etc. Nothing goes through these walls (tested with different high end routers just outside of the walls). But anything placed in the window recieves the signal from the test router that was placed in the house closest to the garage.

Though, im unsure how an AX5400 would do when its placed between the two chimneys. Maybe i'd need only one good router and an AP in the garage window. I'd need to do more testing.
If i would do a two router (AC5400's) setup, they would be about 7 to 8 meters from eachother, with one of them being on the upstairs floor.

Edit: maybe a RT-AC51 in the garage window to act as a wireless AP/repeater for coverage in the garage, and two, or just one AX5400 in the house.

Last edited:
Hey, first time posting/registering here at snbforums, have previously only read the forums but never had to register because i could find most of my questions.
Today though, i couldnt really find any advice in the forums for my needs.

The situation is as follows, a free standing house on the country side (no wireless networks visible other then ours), 1300sq ft wooden home with chimneys that obstruct current wifi signals. Current equipment are the default ISP-delivered router (fibre optic connection) and a cheap china no-name repeater thats connected by cable to the router to supply somewhat better wifi signal to one of the deadspots.
We want to create network to the garage building aswell (there currently is nothing there). The garage's walls block any wifi signal no matter what, no idea whats in those walls, but nothings going through. There are windows in the garage though where wifi signals pass through with no problem (almost full speed/signal).

The idea is to get rid of the isp delivered router and start with a aimesh/ap setup. Was thinking the following: There is a good deal on offer, two TUF-AX5400 asus routers for 200dollars. Thought to have one thats going to replace the ISP router, and one of them upstairs in either a mesh or AP configuration. The upstairs one would be placed so its having a good reach to the garage window, which where we thought to place a AP/repeater which in turn would supply wifi in the garage itself (with a cheaper router). Both AX5400 would be connected using cat6 backhaul.
In the future we could expand the network if needed, but id rather start with a good setup rather than going with something like a tp link deco m5, which can only be configuired with an app etc.

Any pointers? Thanks for the advice!

My install notes for a 2xRT-AC86U wireless AiMesh locate the remote node 77' away in a detached garage. Path is through interior drywalls, the kitchen and two exterior brick walls. I recall the backhaul signal was weaker through the garage double-glass window with Aluminum screen (the culprit?), so I stayed away from the window path.

Current 2.4 backhaul with 3 streams:
bh24.jpg

Current 5.0 backhaul with 4 streams:
bh50.jpg

OE

What is the house made of, floors, walls? Newer routers reach further even with obstacles on the path.

It's a wooden house, wooden floors and ceilings. But the chimneys play havoc with the wifi signals. The AX5400 might penetrate more of that, ofcourse.

My install notes for a 2xRT-AC86U wireless AiMesh locate the remote node 77' away in a detached garage. Path is through interior drywalls, the kitchen and two exterior brick walls. I recall the backhaul signal was weaker through the garage double-glass window with Aluminum screen (the culprit?), so I stayed away from the window path.

Current 2.4 backhaul with 3 streams:
View attachment 37264

Current 5.0 backhaul with 4 streams:
View attachment 37265

OE

Ok thanks i will have a look at your install notes when im going to install the new network :)

Well now they upped the price to 300dollars for the kit which is above what we want give.

Wifi 6 seems abit expensive if you want something more serious.

Have been looking, i can either buy one very good router and later add another. Or go with two from the get go, but somewhat lesser-models.

What would be better, CT8 2pack or for example equal routers ac86u pair?

RT-AC86U is the first Asus HND model router, it is 4-years old now and has reliability issues history. I would not recommend this model. Popular routers in 2021 with Asuswrt-Merlin support are RT-AX58U, RT-AX68U and RT-AX86U. See what fits your needs and budget.

RT-AC86U is the first Asus HND model router, it is 4-years old now and has reliability issues history. I would not recommend this model. Popular routers in 2021 with Asuswrt-Merlin support are RT-AX58U, RT-AX68U and RT-AX86U. See what fits your needs and budget.

Okay thanks alot for that advice, didnt know that about the AC86U (and its on sale for 120 dollars). And yeah, since i cant get the TUF AX5400 anymore, i sure now want a model that has merlin support as im only hearing good things from it. Im leaning towards going for one very capable router and a repeater/AP in the garage for just the coverage there.
The range to the garage would be the potentional issue. Instead of about 15 meters, i'd be looking at around 21 meters from the main router to the garage where the repeater would reside (2.4ghz).

The best router i can test this with is the zyxel Z1 armor. What router (even non-asus) should offer the best range on the 2.4ghz radio? Somewhere i think it could be better with one powerfull router as otherwise with two, they would be only 6 or so meters apart. I could maybe move the main router somewhat away from the chimneys.

Will see if i can test with the zyxel tomorrow and see if it can reach my phone out to the garage window :p

Edit: if theres better non AX (wifi6) routers that can help me out, thats a consideration too. AX82U, AX92U are in the same price range, any good?
Asus CT8 isnt a consideration i think? (2 pack)/AX56U two pack, i'd be 6meters closer to the garage.

Last edited:
The popular models are listed above. They are popular for a reason. I personally don't use home routers in my network. I only test whatever is available around. Once I'm done playing with hardware and software I send them back to where they came from - the recycling bin, in one or multiple pieces. What is going to be good in a long term for you - I don't know.

AX82U - the same hardware as AX58U, with unlocked 2x streams and RGB lights, eventual Merlin fork is coming for it
AX92U - strange "3-band" router with single AX radio, cheap because not too many like what it is, used to be expensive, no Merlin

The popular models are listed above. They are popular for a reason. I personally don't use home routers in my network. I only test whatever is available around. Once I'm done playing with hardware and software I send them back to where they came from - the recycling bin, in one or multiple pieces. What is going to be good in a long term for you - I don't know.

AX82U - the same hardware as AX58U, with unlocked 2x streams and RGB lights, eventual Merlin fork is coming for it
AX92U - strange "3-band" router with single AX radio, cheap because not too many like what it is, used to be expensive, no Merlin

Okej, AX82U or the AX68U if im going with one capable router. You think either of those or one of them could cover 20+ meters on the 2.4ghz band, to a repeater?
If going with two routers, its either the CT8 (no wifi 6) or AX56U pair (same price as one AX82/AX68), then id be around 6 meters closer to the outside repeater.

I'm going to stop here for 3 reasons:

- I don't like guessing
- I would not buy any of these routers
- lowest price first is not the best approach

The original deal 2x Asus AX routers (any model) with AiMesh support for $200 was good.
Someone else will help you further with different Asus (or other) models and combinations.