What's new

ASUS AiMesh Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I can't help but wonder if your results would be better if Smart Connect node band steering was supported on the 68U even though your described issue is with Roaming Assistant node steering... are you using separate SSIDs? Maybe tweak the RA RSSI thresholds for your layout.

OE
I'm using separate SSIDs betweent 2.4/5.0 bands, but not between Aimesh router/nodes. Is that an option? I have changed the RSSI Thresholds from the default -70 to -75 and it didn't seem to matter much.

I'm using separate SSIDs betweent 2.4/5.0 bands, but not between Aimesh router/nodes. Is that an option? I have changed the RSSI Thresholds from the default -70 to -75 and it didn't seem to matter much.

Good, you'll need separate SSIDs without Smart Connect. And no, you cannot further separate them across AiMesh nodes.... the router SSIDs extend to the nodes.

You went the wrong direction on the RSSI threshold change. As a wireless client roams away from a signal, the signal becomes weaker or more negative. If you want that client to roam to the next node/signal sooner, then you need to set the RSSI threshold for that band to be less negative, not more negative. Then, the client will be booted off the signal sooner and will hopefully connect to the next node/signal.

OE

Good, you'll need separate SSIDs without Smart Connect. And no, you cannot further separate them across AiMesh nodes.... the router SSIDs extend to the nodes.

You went the wrong direction on the RSSI threshold change. As a wireless client roams away from a signal, the signal becomes weaker or more negative. If you want that client to roam to the next node/signal sooner, then you need to set the RSSI threshold for that band to be less negative, not more negative. Then, the client will be booted off the signal sooner and will hopefully connect to the next node/signal.

OE
I thought the RSSI threshold was for the primary router and reducing it (making it more negative) would cause it hang onto the primary longer before roaming to the node.

Any thoughts on whether a tri-band router, like the RT-AC3100, would improve performance due to its ability to potentially use one 5G radio for backhaul?

Sorry, that should be a RT-AC3200 or RT-AC5300; the 3100 is just dual band.

Last edited:
I thought the RSSI threshold was for the primary router and reducing it (making it more negative) would cause it hang onto the primary longer before roaming to the node.

Yeah, I know... how did that work out for you? :)

The RSSI threshold per band affects the wireless client's current connection, no matter what router/node/signal it is connected to.

OE

Any thoughts on whether a tri-band router, like the RT-AC3100, would improve performance due to its ability to potentially use one 5G radio for backhaul?

Dedicating a separate band to a wireless backhaul should improve backhaul performance and wireless client performance, if it's needed i.e. if you are loading both to some capacity beyond what is available without the tri-band. But if you don't need all of that capacity in time, then it's not necessary. Also, you should deploy tri-band across the entire mesh to get its benefit.

I suggest you evaluate what you've got before wasting money on what you may not need. A full-duplex Gigabit Ethernet wired backhaul might be cheaper and better.

OE

Last edited:
Yeah, I know... how did that work out for you? :)

The RSSI threshold per band affects the wireless client's current connection, no matter what router/node/signal it is connected to.

OE
It would be nice to have individual settings as well as other controls for each node. This AiMesh concept has potential and I hope they keep updating and adding feature.

you would need GB-line to see 5G-Aimesh limiting your internet, or you need it for full speed inside your intranet to NAS. Wasted money in my opinion too.

It would be nice to have individual settings as well as other controls for each node. This AiMesh concept has potential and I hope they keep updating and adding feature.

The typical consumer would never be able to manage more settings. And, I'd prefer they not be required.

You should make sure you are locating your nodes in the sweet spot... not too close and not too far... before tweaking roaming settings... give your clients an obvious and best choice signal/node so they don't thrash around trying to decide.

OE

you would need GB-line to see 5G-Aimesh limiting your internet, or you need it for full speed inside your intranet to NAS. Wasted money in my opinion too.

Well that is what started all this. I had an 68U for almost 5 years with 75/75 FIOS and it worked flawlessly for the most part during that time. Then I cut-the-cord and upgraded to 1G FIOS. Still the 68U worked pretty well, but I got the itch to upgrade to the 86U since I had far exceeded my typical router life span of 3 years. Of course that then led to trying AiMesh. Don't get me wrong, with my current setup I get 175/175 everywhere, but when the right client can hang onto the 86U I can get closer to 350-400 mbps wirelessly. I have one desktop utilizing a PCE-AC68U that is under performing due to connecting to the node (68U) rather than the 86U. There is no noticeable performance degradation in normal use and there shouldn't be. It's just a mental thing knowing I could eek out a little more performance with more control.

W

@Jim Salter, any chance you can repeat some aspects of this test using the routers in Main/AP mode? Even if you tested just a single added AP, I think this would be a great comparison.

I adjusted the RA RSSI threshold down as low as -80 and while initially a reinitialized node looked promising and dropped all clients except for the ones at the extreme distance from the main router (exactly as I'd like). Eventually, clients slowly migrated to the node, even ones fairly close to the main router. I also, as suggested by another member, increased the threshold to -65 but that didn't improve things either.

Late last night, the family just loves my tinkering, I turned AiMesh off and I just get better overall performance with the one 86U in 85% of the house. At the extremes clients have to sometimes drop to 2.4G and I guess I'm going to be ok with that. Perhaps future firmware updates will improve node steering.

Orbi has the hidden SSID for 2.4GHz, which I'm assuming is the backstop if 5GHz doesn't work out for whatever reason - would not be fast, but it would maintain connectivity between the Base and the Satellite nodes.

FWIW, I've tested so many Orbis so many times my eyes started bleeding, and I've checked backhaul using an RF Spectrum Analyzer during most of those tests. I've never seen any backhaul activity on 2.4 GHz; it's always been 5 GHz. The QCA9984 does really well on 5 GHz connections to another QCA9984; although I've never deliberately tried O M G EXTREME TORTURE TEST I've gotten 750 Mbps+ on every wired client-wired server test across a single link of QCA9984-QCA9984 Orbi backhaul.

It's possible it might start using that 2.4 GHz backhaul for intermediate branch nodes with really long bus topos. I never broke out the RFSA at the client house with Orbi RBK33 + an extra RBW30, all in one long bus configuration (router --> satellite --> satellite --> satellite).

Question when using Ethernet Backhaul do all nodes have to be wired to the main or can you Ethernet Backhaul off of a node?

I have a AC5300 as my main and AC1900p in the office hardwired off of the 5300 and I also have a AC3100 wired off the AC 5300 in my family room, but thinking of adding one to my bedroom and wanted to hardwire it off of the AC1900p from the office node.Looking at maybe adding a RT-AC68U for the bedroom.

Thank you very much.

Question when using Ethernet Backhaul do all nodes have to be wired to the main or can you Ethernet Backhaul off of a node?

I have a AC5300 as my main and AC1900p in the office hardwired off of the 5300 and I also have a AC3100 wired off the AC 5300 in my family room, but thinking of adding one to my bedroom and wanted to hardwire it off of the AC1900p from the office node.Looking at maybe adding a RT-AC68U for the bedroom.

Thank you very much.

ASUS no longer specifies a limit for the number of nodes nor their topology, but a previous FAQ seemed to say '4 star nodes max, or 3 star nodes plus 1 daisy-chain node max.' Presumably the backhauls can be wired and/or wireless, but it all gets a little ambiguous when using wireless backhauls depending on node placement.

Maybe the ideal topology is 4 nodes max wired to the router. Any digression from there would tend toward excess... too many nodes, too much WiFi signal, too much WiFi traffic. Tri-band all around for dedicated wireless backhaul(s) would be helpful. The only way to find out is to try it for your situation.

Note that AC1900/68Us do not support Smart Connect node band steering, so separate SSIDs are likely necessary (you may know this already).

OE

WPS is needed for initial setup, or everytime you need to add a node. You can disable it after you set up the ai-mesh.
I disabled the wps and haven't had issue with the mesh.
Though I do set up my router to reboot weekly ;p

Good to know! How do you like your AiMesh setup?

Thank you very much.

You can do wired ethernet backhaul from satellite to satellite to router. I explicitly tested this, because I knew it's a configuration users would want. :)

Good to know! How do you like your AiMesh setup?
different from typical user, I was mainly using the 68u as media bridge so it's a bonus to turn it into a mesh node.
with the latest firmware, it seems to be the most stable ai-mesh firmware for me.
no disconnect for the nodes, and let me ps4 that is hard-wired to the ai-mesh node stay connected better comparing to the media bridge mode. (or I have not yet experience it)
extending the range is nice, still wish I can actually force some device not to jump between main router and nodes though.
the roaming block list doens't seem to work :(, or i have not configure it properly.
In generally, it's working quite well for me, only if we could get it on merlin's too :p

You can do wired ethernet backhaul from satellite to satellite to router. I explicitly tested this, because I knew it's a configuration users would want. :)

And they all will still be on the same SSID network name without any issues correct?

Thank you very much for everyone's help and input on this![emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!